Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 06:08 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I know people who went to work, some who got sick, some who ended up with long Covid, and some who died.

I think a lot of people who worked and volunteered at these centers have decided they no longer want to. And they are not being replaced.
Not as simple as that, many of them are serving missions for the LDS church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2022, 08:38 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I know people who went to work, some who got sick, some who ended up with long Covid, and some who died.

I think a lot of people who worked and volunteered at these centers have decided they no longer want to. And they are not being replaced.

I guess I also should have said, I know a few that did get it, a bunch who tested positive when going on vacation, or to some other function. No symptoms what so ever. Another who only lost taste, a husband and wife, childhood sweethearts, healthy, age 60, went to South Carolina last Easter, both landed in the hospital, he ended up pulling her plug.

I then know others with varying degrees of COVID, a 40 year old who's a$$ got kicked by it, not hospitalized, a guy 28 who didn't have it bad. My daughter and 8 year old grandson recently had omicron. Believe it or not, I took care of them, had symptoms for a good 2 weeks, PCR tested negative. My daughter was down almost a month. I had one dose of J&J. They weren't vaccinated. She got it from my granddaughters father. Not sure if my granddaughter also got it.

As I originally said, I know many people out there working every day that have not gotten it. I guess it's like the flu where some people get it while others do not.

I think we had it early February 2020, starting with my son. Both my son (almost 40) and my hub (almost 65) were pretty sick back then. Unfortunately, none of us were able to test back then. Both have been out working every day, both vaccinated and boosted now, but before they had the vaccine, they had not gotten COVID. None of us have had an antibody test.

I agree with you that many people have reevaluated what they do with their life since COVID. Some won't change their way of life, while a lot have. There is a worker shortage, a lot of them do not want the vaccine, nor do they want to work in a minimum wage job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
So? Lots of people don't get symptoms, it doesn't mean they aren't spreading it. What are you suggesting, that Covid isn't that bad? I can assure you, it is. You want to talk about personal anecdotes? My husband was sick with Covid for 7 weeks and broke a rib from coughing so hard for so long. Just because you know some people who worked through the pandemic and didn't get sick doesn't mean there isn't a pandemic, and doesn't mean we aren't still in it.

Granted, the vaccine definitely reduces symptoms, but we're only about 66% fully vaccinated (and only 29% have gotten boosters). Things are definitely on a overall downwards trajectory, nationally (both deaths and hospitalizations are going down), but locally, that's not the case everywhere.

Learning to live with it doesn't mean not taking precautions to help reduce the spread - in fact, that's exactly what learning to live with it means, learning to live with the necessary precautions. That means letting places judge how bad the spread is in their local area and deciding when and how to open accordingly, not expecting everywhere to open fully regardless of how bad it is in their area as if the virus doesn't exist anymore. That's not learning to live with it, that's not dealing with it at all. Are you really suggesting Family History Centers in local areas that are still seeing an increase in Covid deaths fully open up? That sounds incredibly irresponsible, and dangerous.

I'm sorry your hub got COVID, hopefully he is better now.

I'm not saying that at all, I never said anything about the family history centers, all I said was COVID as we knew it is over. Omicron changed COVID.

I'm in NJ which has been hit hard so for NJ to go back to normal, especially in schools, to me means the numbers have really dropped off. Hopefully other states will also see this.

I have a very weak immune system, COVID could kill me. I've been very careful the whole pandemic. I was not going to vaccinate due to allergies, turns out I am allergic to the J&J, but had no choice when my daughter was exposed to someone who only lost smell, didn't know they even had COVID until leaving her house after spending the weekend there. I thought for sure she had it because she got sick as a dog. Ended up testing negative. My grandson has missed a lot of school due to being exposed and having COVID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Not as simple as that, many of them are serving missions for the LDS church.

No doubt that the ones serious about serving missions are vaccinated, boosted, have been serving the whole time.

Old 03-13-2022, 08:23 AM

9,287 posts, read 14,899,623 times
I don't know that covid has anything to do with what I've experienced at the local centers. Maybe- maybe not.

My main frustration is that the church doesn't bother to put a closed sign on the door when the center doesn't open during scheduled times or let the public know about any adjustments to hours. If one has a drive a distance to the center, it is quite annoying to find it randomly closed!

Old 03-13-2022, 02:27 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'm not saying that at all, I never said anything about the family history centers,
But that's what this topic is about, and that's what you were responding to. Why respond to a topic asking about Family History Centers being opened or closed with comments on "Covid closure BS" if you weren't including FHC in those "closure BS" comments?

Quote:
all I said was COVID as we knew it is over.
What does "as we knew it" even mean? And that's not all you said, you specifically said "Covid closure BS", as if taking precautions to slow the spread of Covid is BS?

Quote:
I'm in NJ which has been hit hard so for NJ to go back to normal, especially in schools, to me means the numbers have really dropped off. Hopefully other states will also see this.
Rates in NJ do appear to be very low and declining, and that's great for NJ, but again, that's not the case everywhere. Why do you hope other states will see NJ opening up? It doesn't matter what NJ is doing, each state and county needs to judge when and how to open up based on the rates in their own area, not based on rates in NJ, or what NJ are doing.

Remember, the last time we opened up and dropped mask mandates when (thanks to the vaccinations) rates started to plummet in the Spring of 2021, we very quickly saw rates shoot back up again by the end of summer. Granted, more people are vaccinated now (especially children), but that doesn't mean this is over "as we know it" (whatever that means). The vaccination rates are not high enough for herd immunity, and the national 7 day average death rate is still about 1,300 per day - it's going down, but we're not there yet, and all it will take is another mutation to set it off again (which is more likely to happen if everywhere opens up fully and pretends like it's not an issue at all anymore).

Old 03-13-2022, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I don't know that covid has anything to do with what I've experienced at the local centers. Maybe- maybe not.

My main frustration is that the church doesn't bother to put a closed sign on the door when the center doesn't open during scheduled times or let the public know about any adjustments to hours. If one has a drive a distance to the center, it is quite annoying to find it randomly closed!
I guess it just depends on the specific center and who runs it. Mine has a phone number and email address I always get a response from, they update the local website with current info, and they do put up notices in the door if they are unexpectedly closed. They are run by volunteers, so they don't have a huge incentive to go the extra mile. It seems like the more rural the area is, the less active the FHC is, the less incentive to keep things up to date. Maybe next time you're there when it's open, you should talk to someone about better communication regarding opening hours.

Old 03-14-2022, 07:52 AM

9,287 posts, read 14,899,623 times
Quote:
I guess it just depends on the specific center and who runs it. Mine has a phone number and email address I always get a response from, they update the local website with current info, and they do put up notices in the door if they are unexpectedly closed. They are run by volunteers, so they don't have a huge incentive to go the extra mile. It seems like the more rural the area is, the less active the FHC is, the less incentive to keep things up to date. Maybe next time you're there when it's open, you should talk to someone about better communication regarding opening hours.
You're lucky. I surely would've talked to someone but even the Angel Moroni had flown the coop.

Old 03-14-2022, 06:03 PM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times
My cousin is Mormon, and bless her heart, she is newly into our family genealogy, since she just found out who her real father was. The info she gets, purely from the LDS sources doesn’t always line up with mine from ancestry.

It seems they have good records if you are Mormon, but otherwise, not so much.

Old 03-14-2022, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My cousin is Mormon, and bless her heart, she is newly into our family genealogy, since she just found out who her real father was. The info she gets, purely from the LDS sources doesn’t always line up with mine from ancestry.

That's not true at all - FamilySearch (and therefore the Family History Centers) has billions of primary records: censuses, civil records, church records (not just LDS), probates, deeds, etc. from across the country and world. Some collections are not available elsewhere online. I can't say where exactly she's getting her info from, but FamilySearch/FHC is much more than "LDS sources" and they have billions of good records even if you are not Mormon.

Old 03-15-2022, 09:29 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

You are completely wrong about that. Their database extends back centuries and throughout the western world. People from all over the world have great success finding their roots dating back seven, eight, even nine centuries using Family Search, and I can assure you, nobody back then was a Mormon.

Yes, there are occasional discrepancies between the data in Family Search and Ancestry, but you can't just automatically assume that Ancestry is always correct.

Old 03-16-2022, 11:44 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
But that's what this topic is about, and that's what you were responding to. Why respond to a topic asking about Family History Centers being opened or closed with comments on "Covid closure BS" if you weren't including FHC in those "closure BS" comments?

What does "as we knew it" even mean? And that's not all you said, you specifically said "Covid closure BS", as if taking precautions to slow the spread of Covid is BS?

Rates in NJ do appear to be very low and declining, and that's great for NJ, but again, that's not the case everywhere. Why do you hope other states will see NJ opening up? It doesn't matter what NJ is doing, each state and county needs to judge when and how to open up based on the rates in their own area, not based on rates in NJ, or what NJ are doing.

Remember, the last time we opened up and dropped mask mandates when (thanks to the vaccinations) rates started to plummet in the Spring of 2021, we very quickly saw rates shoot back up again by the end of summer. Granted, more people are vaccinated now (especially children), but that doesn't mean this is over "as we know it" (whatever that means). The vaccination rates are not high enough for herd immunity, and the national 7 day average death rate is still about 1,300 per day - it's going down, but we're not there yet, and all it will take is another mutation to set it off again (which is more likely to happen if everywhere opens up fully and pretends like it's not an issue at all anymore).

"Covid as we knew it" I mean the bad one that attacked the lungs. Omicron doesn't do that. It was a miserable COVID to have but my daughter who's immune compromised as well as having heart issues Asthma and other things survived it, so did my grandson who has health issues. Thankfully they didn't get the A or B versions.

When I said cases were down in NJ, I was meaning that since we had high rates, other states will also hopefully see the same decline, then everyone can get back to their lives.

COVID is here forever. It's not going away. Are we going to keep the US closed because of COVID or does it make more sense that people like me, my daughter and grandson with bad immune systems take our own precautions.

Quote:

Agree, I think the OP should try contacting the family history center they tried going to. Could be they're short help like the rest of the US.

Quote:
That's not true at all - FamilySearch (and therefore the Family History Centers) has billions of primary records: censuses, civil records, church records (not just LDS), probates, deeds, etc. from across the country and world. Some collections are not available elsewhere online. I can't say where exactly she's getting her info from, but FamilySearch/FHC is much more than "LDS sources" and they have billions of good records even if you are not Mormon.

Agree that the records are not just on LDS, they are the best so far for European countries even though you have to pick through results in order to find what you need because it's not indexed. And it is free, unlike Ancestry who charges a subscription to see the records.

I guess gentlearts hasn't used it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You are completely wrong about that. Their database extends back centuries and throughout the western world. People from all over the world have great success finding their roots dating back seven, eight, even nine centuries using Family Search, and I can assure you, nobody back then was a Mormon.

Yes, there are occasional discrepancies between the data in Family Search and Ancestry, but you can't just automatically assume that Ancestry is always correct.

They have been the only place I've found such extensive records from Hungary. I have not looked for Poland, Germany and Russia yet to see how those stack up.

I do know that Ancestry does not have the records I've found. I wish I could do a free trial for my heritage to see what they have. I've heard their Hungarian records were better than Ancestry.

I also want to stress the family search is free... free.... free, free... free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy