Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2024, 10:20 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times

Advertisements

Is anybody happy with the new ethnicity update at MyHeritage?

Mine is still way off, and in the same categories. They still claim I am very Scandinavian and Italian, when I am neither. I'm British and German.

But I shouldn't complain too much, since I never paid for it. I just did the free upload, and have benefitted from free access to relative matching and the chromosome browser, which have proven very useful. I already know my ethnicity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2024, 01:15 PM

143 posts, read 314,703 times
I also did the free upload of my Ancestry DNA results to My Heritage. Total waste of time. Their results were so far off for both my sister and I. The update was even worse. It estimated 40% English, 27% Irish, Scottish & Welsh, 27% Italian and 6% Ashkenazi Jewish with 00% French. My paternal line is about 95% French with a bit of English; maternal line is France, Prussia, England and Switzerland with a bit of the Netherlands. I have no Italian or Jewish ancestors that I have discovered. Strangely, with no french estimated DNA, they have my genetic groups correctly listed as "French settlers in Northeastern USA and in Canada, and French Canadian settlers in Canada (Quebec and Eastern Ontario)".

Old 01-22-2024, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav286 View Post
I also did the free upload of my Ancestry DNA results to My Heritage. Total waste of time. Their results were so far off for both my sister and I. The update was even worse. It estimated 40% English, 27% Irish, Scottish & Welsh, 27% Italian and 6% Ashkenazi Jewish with 00% French. My paternal line is about 95% French with a bit of English; maternal line is France, Prussia, England and Switzerland with a bit of the Netherlands. I have no Italian or Jewish ancestors that I have discovered. Strangely, with no french estimated DNA, they have my genetic groups correctly listed as "French settlers in Northeastern USA and in Canada, and French Canadian settlers in Canada (Quebec and Eastern Ontario)".
Were the unexpected results similar for your sister? I'm wondering if they are consistently wrong about certain ethnicities. They also gave me 4% Ashkenazi which is incorrect. I don't have any Ashkenazi with 23andMe or Ancestry. I wonder since they are an Israeli company (or were) that they may be biased in that direction.

My "genetic groups" reflect my paternal side only (Southern colonial), and my New England, Canadian, and German maternal ancestry is absent (just like Ancestry). And strangely they have "high confidence" in "Georgia, Florida and Alabama" but "low confidence" in "Southern US". Go figure.

Old 01-22-2024, 02:34 PM

143 posts, read 314,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Were the unexpected results similar for your sister? I'm wondering if they are consistently wrong about certain ethnicities. They also gave me 4% Ashkenazi which is incorrect. I don't have any Ashkenazi with 23andMe or Ancestry. I wonder since they are an Israeli company (or were) that they may be biased in that direction.

My "genetic groups" reflect my paternal side only (Southern colonial), and my New England, Canadian, and German maternal ancestry is absent (just like Ancestry). And strangely they have "high confidence" in "Georgia, Florida and Alabama" but "low confidence" in "Southern US". Go figure.

My sister hasn't checked the update yet. Her original MH results were quite different than mine but just as bad. She had no Jewish or Italian but they did estimate 10% Spanish which is not correct. I don't recall the other ethnicities. We just laughed when comparing them. Our results on Ancestry were very similar; she had a bit more Prussian and a bit less French than I have but otherwise pretty close.

Old 01-22-2024, 02:43 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Do you knoe the term "GIGO" ?
Quote:
They still claim...
I've found a first cousin. The DNA (Y) shows that MY ties to her are through her father.
She insists it is through her mothers side.
I haven't broached the topic of who exactly her father was.

Old 01-23-2024, 04:19 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:

Mine is still way off, and in the same categories. They still claim I am very Scandinavian and Italian, when I am neither. I'm British and German.

But I shouldn't complain too much, since I never paid for it. I just did the free upload, and have benefitted from free access to relative matching and the chromosome browser, which have proven very useful. I already know my ethnicity.
Out of the 13 kits I have at My Heritage, only 3 are done processing the updated ethnicity. Mine is fine, my son who's paternal line is Scottish, does not have Scottish listed, it says English, shows Glasgow Scotland included in that. The amount is equal to what Ancestry gave him for Scotland. I have to look at it better to see what's different. He has great grandparents from Ireland and England, plus some that are founding families of the Bahama's. I believe one line is German.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Do you knoe the term "GIGO" ?
I've found a first cousin. The DNA (Y) shows that MY ties to her are through her father.

What site are you using for the Y-DNA comparing to your matches line? My Heritage does not offer Y-DNA kits. FTDNA (Family Tree DNA) sells Y-DNA kits.

Last edited by Roselvr; 01-23-2024 at 04:59 AM..

Old 01-23-2024, 07:40 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:

My Heritage is listed as being owned by Francisco Partners a private equity firm: https://www.franciscopartners.com/?t...&tr_country=US

Old 01-23-2024, 08:40 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:

Mine is much closer than the one Ancestry generated. MyHeritage shows 43% Iberian and 31% Scandinavian which is within 5% either way quite accurate

Old 01-23-2024, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If your 1st cousin is a "she", she has no Y chromosome for you to "tie" to. Which company are you using?

Old 01-23-2024, 10:56 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
What site are you using for the Y-DNA comparing to your matches line? My Heritage does not offer Y-DNA kits. FTDNA (Family Tree DNA) sells Y-DNA kits.
That statement is based on what 23&Me shows. The only other site I use enough to have bookmarked.It's not 100% assertive as I have implied.
Th rest is based in the objective records (immigration/border crosses census etc) many conflicting data points...
and of course that we (1st cousin match) DO NOT match on the maternal side
Attached Thumbnails
MyHeritage ethnicity update (Jan. 2024)-23m3y.png  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy