Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 04:44 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times

Advertisements

Another thread is a discussion about Ancestry making some of its currently "free" DNA features available only to paying members soon. But I don't see any reaction or outrage over the features that 23andMe has already removed from customer accounts, which used to be included in the price of the test. Apparently this was in response to the hacking of about 14,000 customer accounts last fall.

I noticed in DNA Relatives that the chromosome browser is no longer available for comparing segments with matches. Instead, only the percentage of shared DNA is shown.

Also, the "Relatives in Common" feature has been removed, which used to show you how a particular match was related to other matches in your DNA Relatives list.

And the last thing I noticed is that about 25 DNA Relatives have disappeared from my Family Tree. About 14 DNA Relatives remain in my tree, but it's not clear to me why some remained and others disappeared. It may be that users who have not logged in since MFA took effect are the ones who disappeared.

Are there any other changes people have noticed?

I saw where 23andMe details their response to the hacking event, and how they added MFA (in their article "Addressing Data Security Concerns", Oct. 6, 2023), but don't see any details about the features they removed, whether they plan to restore them, and when.

Any other information available? Reactions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2024, 01:40 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Another thread is a discussion about Ancestry making some of its currently "free" DNA features available only to paying members soon. But I don't see any reaction or outrage over the features that 23andMe has already removed from customer accounts, which used to be included in the price of the test. Apparently this was in response to the hacking of about 14,000 customer accounts last fall.

I noticed in DNA Relatives that the chromosome browser is no longer available for comparing segments with matches. Instead, only the percentage of shared DNA is shown.

Also, the "Relatives in Common" feature has been removed, which used to show you how a particular match was related to other matches in your DNA Relatives list.

And the last thing I noticed is that about 25 DNA Relatives have disappeared from my Family Tree. About 14 DNA Relatives remain in my tree, but it's not clear to me why some remained and others disappeared. It may be that users who have not logged in since MFA took effect are the ones who disappeared.

Are there any other changes people have noticed?

I saw where 23andMe details their response to the hacking event, and how they added MFA (in their article "Addressing Data Security Concerns", Oct. 6, 2023), but don't see any details about the features they removed, whether they plan to restore them, and when.

Any other information available? Reactions?

Thanks for making the thread that 23andme has done away with relatives in common. I don't go there that often, it is the most worthless of the DNA company websites for me which stinks because I've wanted to do DNA there since 2011, they then stopped offering DNA kits.

I had logged in a few months ago, it looked like something was missing but I wasn't sure what.

Old 01-28-2024, 04:26 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Thanks for making the thread that 23andme has done away with relatives in common.
so what.

Quote:
...it is the most worthless of the DNA company websites for me...
No question. But, again, so what. It never has been.

The mix of research material access AND the dna connection to that ... is what Ancestry com is all about.
Within that capability (there ARE other services) it ALSO comes with the largest US based membership.

This last point is the principal reason I'm also on 23&Me. They have the second largest US based membership.
If you already know who your relatives are you don't really need the dna too.

Old 01-28-2024, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
so what.
You may not use certain features, or may not understand how to use them, but other people do. Without Relatives in Common, I would never have been able to identify my relationship to over 75 DNA Relatives in 23andMe, which has helped me expand my tree enormously, and also understand how I'm related to some matches in other companies.

At the most basic, I have a maternal 1st cousin tested on 23andMe, and several paternal 2nd cousins. When I have a new match who I can see is related to any of them through Relatives in Common, it greatly narrows down how we're related. The more DNA Relatives you've been able to identify, the more you can leverage the power of the Relatives in Common tool to identify people connected to different branches of your tree. The Chromosome Browser is also invaluable in helping to isolate which ancestors the shared segments came from.

Without either of these tools, 23andMe's usefulness has been diminished significantly for those who regularly used them.

It mostly depends on what your individual goals are in your research.

Old 01-28-2024, 11:53 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Without Relatives in Common, I would never have been able to identify my relationship to over 75 DNA Relatives in 23andMe,
I've identified about 15 people at 23&Me that I had not seen on Ancestry.
I don't recall ever needing the "RIC" feature to do that vs the DNA Match list.
Quote:
At the most basic, I have a maternal 1st cousin tested on 23andMe, and several paternal 2nd cousins.
When I have a new match who I can see is related to any of them through Relatives in Common, it greatly narrows down how we're related.
Very similar experience but when I get a name I didn't have before I'll go to the official documents (at where?).

Here's the fun part, my recently discovered Mat 1st C already had at least 3 trees started at ancestry...
but the settings had dna hidden there. But WITH the name ...

Old 01-28-2024, 05:59 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
It says it's temporary so I'm reserving my outrage because I'm assuming they will at some point bring those features back. I realize that could change, but at the moment I can't really get angry about something which could potentially return at any moment. Lol, imagine going on a rant about it and then the features come back tomorrow.

Old 01-28-2024, 07:03 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
It says it's temporary so I'm reserving my outrage because I'm assuming they will at some point bring those features back. I realize that could change, but at the moment I can't really get angry about something which could potentially return at any moment. Lol, imagine going on a rant about it and then the features come back tomorrow.

23andme is useless to me if they don't bring it back. I don't understand how it can be removed for the last almost 6 months.

Old 01-29-2024, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Where does it say it's temporary? I thought I saw that somewhere (in vague language about "some features"), but it disappeared, or I just can't find it again. I'll be "outraged" at the lack of clear communication from the company, leaving customers dangling.

I don't know what they're waiting for, since they've already instituted MFA.

Old 01-29-2024, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I've identified about 15 people at 23&Me that I had not seen on Ancestry.
I don't recall ever needing the "RIC" feature to do that vs the DNA Match list.

Very similar experience but when I get a name I didn't have before I'll go to the official documents (at where?).
With RIC you can see immediately if someone is a child/parent, niece/nephew, 1st cousin, etc. of an existing match you've already figured out. Huge time-saver.

You're right, you often have to use resources offsite to help with research. 23andMe does not pretend to provide access to documentation. FamilySearch is free. When I identify a new match in 23andMe (or MyHeritage, FTDNA) I'll add them to my tree at Ancestry, along with their ancestors that connect back to me, if they are a 4th cousin or closer. This in turn helps me identify new matches in Ancestry.

Old 01-29-2024, 06:08 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Where does it say it's temporary? I thought I saw that somewhere (in vague language about "some features"), but it disappeared, or I just can't find it again.
You may have clicked the X and closed the box so it no longer appears but I never did - it's a banner just above your DNA Relatives list. It says "We have temporarily disabled some features within the DNA Relatives tool as an additional precaution to protect your privacy."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy