Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2011, 05:07 PM

177 posts, read 685,665 times

Advertisements

For the first time, we are moving without a permanent place to move right into. We are renting a furnished vacation rental home (relatively inexpensive during the summer in Florida) for at least a month and probably for 2 or 3 months until we find and close on a house in the same community. Our belongings will be in storage (PackRat).

I am thinking of filing a temporary change of address with the post office to forward mail to the rental home and then do a permanent change of address when we move into the home we will purchase.

Does anyone have a better idea?

THanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 07:30 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
I would suggest a Private postal box (UPS store, Fedex store) and forward/direct your mail there. When you get a perm address you can then send out the Address updates and a few months later close the private postal box. (or just keep it going there, there is extra secuirty to your mail that way).

2nd option if you are staying within the same area is to have the PO hold your mail and go by the PO once a week or so and pick it up, then when you get a perm address put in the forward to your new address, or get a PO Box at the post office.

You want to aviod changing your address to the rental, then having to go and re-change them all again. PO forwarding is good, but it can add a several days to a week as it goes thru the forwarding process, and sometimes stuff get delivered to your old address and misses the forward. (also they only forward 1st class mail for free).

Old 05-17-2011, 07:51 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhanson View Post
For the first time, we are moving without a permanent place to move right into. We are renting a furnished vacation rental home (relatively inexpensive during the summer in Florida) for at least a month and probably for 2 or 3 months until we find and close on a house in the same community. Our belongings will be in storage (PackRat).

I am thinking of filing a temporary change of address with the post office to forward mail to the rental home and then do a permanent change of address when we move into the home we will purchase.

THanks
Skip the post office and use a Postal Mailbox from a UPS store or the mailbox store equivilent. They will be able to accept UPS packages and Fed-Ex deliveries for you as well. You may decide even after you move to keep the box rather than having anything delivered to your home. It cuts back on the odds of identity theft via mail theft.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:39 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,736 times
The only problem we have run in to with a PO Box at a UPS or Mailboxes store is that you are unable to have mail forwarded for a change of address from there. That was a couple years ago, but it was a nightmare.

Personally it only takes me about an hour to change the address for our credit cards, magazines, utilities etc... Most of it gets done online, I just make a list of everything and check it off as it's done.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:54 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,938,945 times
The 'temporary' designation is only if you're planning on returning to your former address. Otherwise, it's permanent.

The last time I moved without a lease in place, I used my father's address (in another state) for my change of address. I sent him those postage paid, big envelopes, pre-addressed to me and once a week during our temporary living situation, he forwarded the mail that showed up. If it looked important, he'd call and ask me if I wanted him to open it.

Good luck. Moving can be stressful, but staying organized, making lists, etc can help!

Old 05-18-2011, 12:09 AM

512 posts, read 947,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhanson View Post

THanks
I think you will be just fine using your idea. I have moved twice in the last seven months (with my last move to a different state) and my mail has followed me without any delay. The USPS change of address is so easy to do online so why make it hard on yourself or spend money if you don't have to! Good luck with your moves

Old 05-18-2011, 04:44 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post

2nd option if you are staying within the same area is to have the PO hold your mail and go by the PO once a week or so and pick it up, then when you get a perm address put in the forward to your new address, or get a PO Box at the post office.

You want to avoid changing your address to the rental, then having to go and re-change them all again. PO forwarding is good, but it can add a several days to a week as it goes thru the forwarding process, and sometimes stuff get delivered to your old address and misses the forward. (also they only forward 1st class mail for free).
^^ This.

Don't "change"... forward.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:14 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
The last time I moved without a lease in place, I used my father's address (in another state) for my change of address. I sent him those postage paid, big envelopes, pre-addressed to me and once a week during our temporary living situation, he forwarded the mail that showed up. If it looked important, he'd call and ask me if I wanted him to open it.
We did this too. We moved countries twice and both times had mail sent to friends. I had most statements switched to online statements anyway so when friends had weeded out the junk mail there was actually very little that we needed them to open / send on to us. A few bank closing statements but that won't apply to you anyway and a final electricity bill.

The forwarding system doen't work too well here as I am still getting about 1-2 letters a week for the guy who used to live in my house despite him having his mail forwarded... Luckily he lives in the area and I just call him and he swings by every couple of weeks.... If you do the forwarding make sure you forward say everything with your family surname or Mrs J Smith, J Smith, Jane Smith, Mrs Jane Smith etc as we think this is why some mail has slipped through....

The P.O. box is a great idea if you are going to stay in the area you are moving to temporarily so its easy for you to pop back to check...
We thought of this too as we had no idea where we were living when we got off the plane but they wouldn't give us one as we didn't have an address here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues