Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 08:14 AM

131 posts, read 410,788 times

Advertisements

We (family of 5) are moving around the end of December. I am so excited and ready to go now!! Is it too early to start packing up some things now?

When did you start packing for your move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 08:32 AM

22,678 posts, read 36,831,891 times
Nope it's definitely not too early. There is so much stuff that can't be packed till the last minute it's best to get things done right now if you can. I started packing up stuff that was rarely used AND time consuming to pack - like my good china. Then start going thru kitchen, closets and bedrooms to see what you can purge. Pack up out of season clothes if you can (ie if you won't need summer clothes where you are going). And so on. I started packing 2 months before our move and even though I did a bit every day, it still got overwhelming at the end. Good luck!

Old 09-16-2011, 08:53 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,399,446 times
Our moves were done by professional movers (military) so we didn't prepack - but now would be a good time to start going thru and deciding what is going or staying and keeping an eye out for good packing boxes. Boxes get scarce around Christmas because people are looking for them to send gifts...

Old 09-16-2011, 09:39 AM

885 posts, read 1,523,134 times
I would start now. It was better to get a head start (less stress) and pack the things we use least frequently and gradually pack up more and more. It made moving in easier too because there was little searching for much-needed items (they were all together) and it also allowed more creativity than putting X item in X room with all the X-room boxes & piles just like before. Some living room furniture may work better in the new master, etc. Some of the things you thought you couldn't do without may end up being not important to you in your new place and that can be a refreshing change.

I also think you should respond to your enthusiasm ! Moving can be a pain, so enjoy the 'upside' with this happiness and motivation you feel right now.

Best wishes on your relocation !

Old 09-21-2011, 12:41 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,387,598 times
Just be like me, and procrastinate. Then, on the weekend of the move, you go completely crazy, and throw tons of stuff out. And buy the same stuff over when you get to your destination. You can't find anything for months, because you just threw it all in random boxes, socks next to DVD's, next to the cat toys.

Okay, maybe procrastination is not the greatest idea.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:42 PM

18,405 posts, read 19,042,623 times
start now. it really seem no matter how early you start you are still panicked at the end with so much left to do. go for it.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:16 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,299,502 times
I started packing before dh even agreed to list the house.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:32 PM

699 posts, read 1,707,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Kim~* View Post
We (family of 5) are moving around the end of December. I am so excited and ready to go now!! Is it too early to start packing up some things now?

When did you start packing for your move?
I trust by now you are half packed, right?

I agree with the others, start packing while you have the enthusiasm.

Packing is a great time to weed out your belongings. If you wait until the last minute, you are more likely to just throw everything in boxes.

I would recommend getting mostly book boxes. Easier to stack and store when they are all the same size.

Good luck.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:05 AM

22 posts, read 74,914 times
Being in the long distance moving business I would definitely recommend starting to pack sooner rather than later! And, before you pack anything, always ask yourself - is this something we really need to take with us? Moving is not inexpensive - whether you do it yourself or pay someone to move your items. There is nothing worse than taking the time pack something, paying to have it moved, unpacking at your new location and then THROWING IT OUT because you realize you really don't need it! Take the opportunity of moving to PURGE as much as you can - lighten your load. You can donate items and get receipts for tax deductions. If you are moving a long distance, make sure you pack all of your fragile items with bubble wrap - not just unprinted paper. Items will shift in the boxes with vibration as the truck moves - the longer the distance, the more shifting and they can end up hitting each other and breaking - a box doesn't have to be dropped to cause damage. Also, something obvious but not always done - always start with the heaviest items at the bottom and end with the lightest items at the top. Try not to put fragile items with big, heavy items and put a good amount of padding in the bottom of the boxes for the fragile items (bubble wrap, packing 'peanuts', etc.). Give the fragile items a 'cushion' to sit on. And don't make boxes too heavy - better to have a few more boxes than boxes so heavy they get dropped.

Good luck and have a great move!

Old 09-28-2011, 09:10 AM

22 posts, read 74,914 times
Forgot to mention one more thing ---- don't forget to take the time to LABEL THE BOXES on the top and at least one side as to what room each box is for! Will help a lot when bringing them into your new place! The more info you put - the better! Can you help decide which boxes need to be opened sooner than others. You won't have to open every box to see what is in each one and the guys won't have to ask each time - 'where does this one go?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues