Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 05:24 PM

94 posts, read 204,429 times

Advertisements

If you have a smart phone, download the free Gas Buddy app. We used it on our road trip from California to SW MO in June. It gives you the list of stations, price and directions. I also searched hotels when we decided where we would stop for the night and called and booked them. I used the Google Map app for directions to hotels, etc.

We always stopped before dark for dinner and hotel. If I were alone I would make sure I always stopped before dark. Hotels were always near a restaurant and several gas stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 05:35 PM

9,878 posts, read 14,122,777 times
I drove across the country multiple times when I was in college, when I would come home for breaks. 90% of the time I was alone. I did not have a cell, did not map my route (other than know the basic major highways to take), did not pre-reserve hotels. I stopped when I needed to stop, ate when I needed to eat, and found a hotel (whatever chain on the side of the road that looked clean) when I needed to rest.

I don't remember ever being concerned about safety, and nothing ever happened.

Predators and criminals don't prey on "single, alone women". They prey on people who they judge to be victims. Be confident in yourself and express that confidence in your life. It's not a matter of not "acting scared", just don't be scared, unless there is actually something to be scared of. Regular gas stations, restaurants, hotels, etc are not to be feared, nor are the regular people who are there.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:41 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
We are two seniors and I was paranoid about traveling cross country to our new home. I agree totally with others who have said to map out your drive. Divide up the miles into the number of days you are driving, and try to find good motels at those predetermined intervals.

There have been some questions in other threads about various routes over the mountains, and I would suggest asking specific questions about your route on this board.

One thing I was firm about in our trip. We would look like we were normal tourists. Of course we had plenty of luggage, but we didn't pack bulky personal possessions. And I insisted that we carry our bag that contained our personal documents in at night with us. If someone had smashed a window in our car, they would not have access to those docs. I was actually asked in one place about our trip and I did not answer truthfully.

Do know that if you have found a place to live prior to your trip, and have changed your address on your credit cards, you will be prompted for your zip code every time you buy gas! This was a big surprise to us. We had not memorized our new zip code.

Our trip was uneventful. I wanted to fly but DH wanted to drive. We did and it worked out fine.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:36 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,395 times
I moved by myself from WI to Austin, TX in the late 1990s, and I didn't have any problems. People have made helpful suggestions here. Look at it as an adventure!

Old 08-27-2013, 12:14 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,757,478 times
No personal experience, but my friend drives from LA to PA/NY and back several times a year alone. She drives only during daylight hours and makes sure she is in her hotel room by dark. Leaves at dawn and in by dusk. It is easier for her in the summer since the days are so long and she can cover alot more miles in a day. She does stop and see friends and family along the way and just enjoys the ride. She is always checking in on Facebook and lets everone know when she is leaving and where she is. She brings all valuables in with her at night. SHe even keeps her laptop in her suitcase so if anyone is watching her, they won't see her carrying that in.Good luck and safe travels!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues