Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 10:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,090 times

Advertisements

Moving from NY to Colorado...

Situation..

most likely moving with no major jobs lined up(not worried about income) but staying with family. Planning on finding a place within 2-3 weeks tops. Both have cars to transport, therefor cannot drive a moving truck ourselves. We would have 2 dressers, a full size bed, a chair, and a few other things and boxes we can't fit in our cars... I don't think that much

OPTIONS...

A. Pay movers to load, move, and unload items at new place... keeping in mind that once we leave NY they have to hold onto the stuff until we find the new place and sign a lease.

or..

B. try to sell what we cant fit in our cars(large items), and buy all new things there... I am "thrifty" but some things I like new... ie.. mattress(bought last one 600$ new) etc... and craigslist is only so useful.

which one would cost less/less hassel/ more cost effective?

other ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 10:55 PM

7,079 posts, read 6,373,266 times
Check pricing on different websites for new items. Then check out pricing of movers. Whichever wins, wins. Unless you have furniture that holds wonderful memories & you could not find items like that again.

For furniture, Google the type you have to see the replacement value.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:26 AM

34,223 posts, read 83,425,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1775mike View Post
Cheaper to pay for movers or buy all new stuff???
It comes down to the VALUE of your bigger items requiring a truck
balanced against the DISTANCE you might have to tote them.

Can your stuff (everyone else calls crap) be replaced
for LESS THAN the cost to move them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x_QkGPCL18

Old 01-11-2016, 11:51 AM

24,897 posts, read 11,330,959 times
Why not get a small moving truck and a car trailer?

Old 01-13-2016, 06:33 AM

172 posts, read 256,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1775mike View Post

Situation..

most likely moving with no major jobs lined up(not worried about income) but staying with family. Planning on finding a place within 2-3 weeks tops. Both have cars to transport, therefor cannot drive a moving truck ourselves. We would have 2 dressers, a full size bed, a chair, and a few other things and boxes we can't fit in our cars... I don't think that much

OPTIONS...

A. Pay movers to load, move, and unload items at new place... keeping in mind that once we leave NY they have to hold onto the stuff until we find the new place and sign a lease.

or..

B. try to sell what we cant fit in our cars(large items), and buy all new things there... I am "thrifty" but some things I like new... ie.. mattress(bought last one 600$ new) etc... and craigslist is only so useful.

which one would cost less/less hassel/ more cost effective?

other ideas?

Based on the general description of the items you need to move, it will cost you ("ballpark") $1200 - $1500 to have a mover pack your things, ship them to CO, deliver them to new residence. Depending on your exact location in NY state and your destination in CO, it could end up being even more.

I am involved in the HHG industry and I sometimes roll my eyes at what people ship across country. With the money they pay to have their goods shipped they could buy two of the same item new at their new location. Unless your items are of high value or have sentimental value, I would sell them and buy new at destination. If you do decide to ship remember, you can have the origin agent hold the goods until you are ready to have them shipped. It would take roughly a week to have them shipped from NY to CO. (And the destination agent could also hold them for a few days until you are ready for receiving.)

Good Luck!

Old 01-13-2016, 06:58 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,201,580 times
You also have the option of renting a POD. They drop it off, you load it or pay someone to. They pick it up and deliver it to your location. They also have options for storing it until you are ready.

Depending on the type of car you have, you can rent a trailer from haul. It might fit a full size bed, doubtful of the dressers.

My advice overall? Sell it. The cost of moving the items will far exceed the value.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:58 AM

15,142 posts, read 32,467,303 times
Sell it, it's easier to replace it, and it'll cost you more to ship it, than it's worth.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:35 AM

1,849 posts, read 3,957,109 times
Like the others posting above, I think you should sell it.

Not only will this save you money, but you will be able to get furniture that is the right style for your new residence and of a scale that fits the rooms. So often furniture that looks great in one home, will make a different home look terribly crowded or under-furnished.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:14 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,425,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Slick View Post
Based on the general description of the items you need to move, it will cost you ("ballpark") $1200 - $1500 to have a mover pack your things, ship them to CO, deliver them to new residence. Depending on your exact location in NY state and your destination in CO, it could end up being even more.

I am involved in the HHG industry and I sometimes roll my eyes at what people ship across country. With the money they pay to have their goods shipped they could buy two of the same item new at their new location. Unless your items are of high value or have sentimental value, I would sell them and buy new at destination. If you do decide to ship remember, you can have the origin agent hold the goods until you are ready to have them shipped. It would take roughly a week to have them shipped from NY to CO. (And the destination agent could also hold them for a few days until you are ready for receiving.)

Good Luck!

I'm surprised by this quote. I'm about to move 60 miles in-state, and for a small 1300 square foot home I'm getting quote of roughly that. The lowest I've seen is $800 if I do all the packing and disassembly, and prices well over $1500 if I let them do all the work.

I just can't fathom that you could get all your stuff from NY to CO for $1200. Seems like it would be in the many thousands of dollars. Definitely cheaper just to buy a new mattress on the other end, then get the wood furniture like bedroom sets and whatnot off of craigslist for a song.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:04 AM

780 posts, read 682,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Check pricing on different websites for new items. Then check out pricing of movers. Whichever wins, wins. Unless you have furniture that holds wonderful memories & you could not find items like that again.

For furniture, Google the type you have to see the replacement value.
I agree with this.

When decided if I would move my stuff across the coast/country, I didn't know which is better.

I priced out the cost with Uhaul and a general value of my items. I found out that it's almost the same price to just buy new things. I mean, it was still more expensive, but not that much more expensive than I thought.

Consider the extra hassle and stress of bringing things over, plus the storage cost. Is it all worth-it? Is there such a great cost difference between the two? Decide from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues