Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 10:34 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times

Advertisements

We just moved. We had saved TV boxes for the good TV's. Any of my collectibles would be packed by me. I saved packages for almost all of them.

My desk was moved by the movers. We were all afraid it would break. It's not a great quality one but they haven't made this type in 20 years lol

I did keep my office hutch and a dresser type one but they both will be going when we down size.

I listed my patio set for sale plus a few other freebies in local yard sale FB groups, the patio set went fast, the dining hutch and corner cabinet took about a week, both free.

We then gave stuff to the vets who only took 2 loads of 25 items. Their truck broke down, had to bring about 3 loads to salvation army.

What we didn't get rid of that way went to a gal my hub used to work with, her parents and siblings just got entry to the US, they gladly took spare beds, bedding, towels, curtains. She knows more immigrants who direly need stuff.

My daughter has tried to sell her very large Raymour and Flanagan piece, I guess it's like and entertainment center, has a spot for the TV, the rest is a dresser. I paid about $4k for it, no takers for $300. It stinks that people don't want real furniture these days unless you give it away.

Let us know how you make out. Hope it goes well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2022, 11:08 AM

26,210 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Roselvr, your experience mirrors mine in that at yard sales people essentially want everything for free, so much so that I'll never do another yard sale again. It will go to Goodwill or Salvation Army before I do a yard sale. I recall putting out $30 hardback books in new shape, asking $1 each, and people wanted to give me 25-cents for them. I took them to the public library where they could either shelve the books or sell them at a "friends of the library" sale. It reminded me too much of being poor as a child which taught me that a whole lot of people were glad to kick us when we were down.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-29-2022, 11:54 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Roselvr, your experience mirrors mine in that at yard sales people essentially want everything for free, so much so that I'll never do another yard sale again. It will go to Goodwill or Salvation Army before I do a yard sale. I recall putting out $30 hardback books in new shape, asking $1 each, and people wanted to give me 25-cents for them. I took them to the public library where they could either shelve the books or sell them at a "friends of the library" sale. It reminded me too much of being poor as a child which taught me that a whole lot of people were glad to kick us when we were down.

You're not kidding, lots of low ballers. This generation seems to not want much stuff. Books went to our library, grandson's school or recycled, most were not great titles that got pitched.

I hated to have to throw out some stuff that we didn't find anyone for. People don't want baby or kid stuff these days which we had a lot from my grand kids. I was happy that the lady who took hubs grandmothers dining hutch and corner cabinet also took a little tykes toy box that was 30 years old in mint shape plus grandson's old crib which needed cleaning. Vets wouldn't take it unless I cleaned it up.

Old 01-19-2023, 10:42 PM

214 posts, read 259,471 times
We were just quoted today $8,900.00 by United, including tips and $6,500.00 by Capital, plus 20% tips, to move our 1/1 (840 Sq. Ft.) bd apt. from NYC to Fort Lauderdale in May

Considering calling Ipod and just contract moving local company here and in FL if i can save at least a couple of thousand $

Thinking of also contacting Mayflower, Allied. U pack,

And yes, I did a forum search on moving and that is how I learned of Capital and United

I appreciate feedback from those who have moved interstate recently

Thank you

Old 01-20-2023, 06:37 AM

4,834 posts, read 3,262,003 times
Tips? How is it a 'tip' if they build it into the price?

I used the local Two Men and a Truck franchise to move me from south Texas to Nebraska. They rented a Penske truck (which I thought was odd), but the same two guys picked it up and delivered it. My stuff only, no stops, no storage en-route.

Last edited by Seguinite; 01-20-2023 at 06:49 AM..

Old 05-26-2023, 10:38 PM

294 posts, read 292,761 times
So, a year later I am back to this thread. We ended up not selling or moving last year. But, now we are under contract and will be closing in a little less than a month.

We also have changed our destination for where we want to move. Alas, we are now moving 1500 miles (Texas to Delaware to be specific). Our situation is similar to what it was last year although I think we do have some clarity on some things now.

We do not have an address for where we are moving. We plan to either rent a short term apartment (corporate type thing) or do an AirBnB. Then we plan to look to buy a house. Couple take 3 months although possibly more. So any movers we use will need to offer storage.

What we are sure we want to move:

Ascent trainer - This is very large and was very expensive and in great shape. We can't possibly sell it for anything close to even its used value.

2 Expensive office desk chairs - One of them cost over $4k and the other was almost $2k. Not having them damaged is obviously important

2 leather recliners - One is less than 6 months old. The other is much older but expensive to replace. If we need to cut something out of the list the old recliner would get cut.

Inexpensive cabinet - Sentimental value as it was the one thing I kept from my mom's house after she died.

Glass table with removable glass legs - This is an art piece that can't be replaced.

Christmas tree - Expensive, already in a box

3 TVs - 75", 40" and about 55" (OLED). These are all only a couple of years old.

20-50 boxes - We already packed away about 10 boxes of stuff last year. Depending on how draconian we want to be on getting rid of stuff we could have another 10 to 40 boxes. These are mostly clothes, bathroom stuff, office stuff and kitchen stuff. When we moved into this house we moved about 100 boxes and we are not taking all of that with us, so I think 50 at max is about right.

Cat Trees - bought from Chewy and a little over a year old. We will take if we have room. If not, could just discard and rebuy

Some decorative stuff - 2 or 3 large vases (one is an art piece floor vase). Several pictures. A few are small, 3 of them are large (maybe 6' tall)

Computers/monitors - 2 desktop computers, 2 notebook computers and 6 monitors. Some of these will come with us in our car

3 or 4 boxes of expensive porcelain figurines. The replacement cost on these is a lot. So unless we use a full service mover who packs our stuff and we insure, we will move this ourselves.

All other furniture and our major appliances will be either sold, donated, or trashed.

DH and I have one car (Volvo XC60 SUV) and will be transporting 2 cats. We will likely need to stay in a hotel at least 2 nights on the trip.

Our biggest problems are two things. We need to have available to us over the next few months our clothes and computers. We can't fit all of that in our car with the cats. We could do part of it but not all of it. The other problem are the porcelain figurines. If we use a traditional van lines (not a broker) I would be OK with them packing the figurines, us getting full insurance and them transporting them and keeping them in storage. However, I suspect that given the distance this may be cost prohibitive.

Options we have thought of:

1. Use a full service van lines (not a broker) to move everything except the clothes we need and the computers/monitors. We may be able to get most in the car. If we can't get it all we could ship some of it by UPS (pay for them to pack it and then insure it). This is by far the easiest and most protective solution. But, given a 1500 mile move even with almost no furniture I suspect this will be insanely expensive (we do plan to get quotes)

2. Use either a POD or 2 Relocubes. Pack all in there except the porcelain and the computers/monitors and our close. We hire someone to pack them, pay for storage and later pay to unpack. Hope nothing too much is broken. In the meantime, DH and I drive to Delaware with the cats and what fits in the car. Rest up a bit, then board the cats and drive back to where we started and pick up the porcelain (a friend will store it for us) and anything else we couldn't fit in the car). Then we drive back. Of course, this requires a total of about 4500 miles driving. We are a retired couple and this does sound exhausting.

3. A variation of choice 2. However, instead of initially driving our car with the cats, we rent either a very large SUV (we used to have a Ford Excursion so DH is familiar with driving one) or maybe a cargo van. We take the cats and basically everything with us. We go to Delaware, unload, board the cats and drop the rented vehicle at the Philly Airport. We then fly back to where we started pick up our car and drive back leisurely. That cuts the driving distance to 3000 miles total but does add rental expensive and air fare.

Doing something like renting a UHaul truck is a non-starter for DH. He does not want to drive a truck.

Any thoughts on any of this?

Old 05-27-2023, 10:16 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,716,018 times
I would drive your car and rent the cargo van and follow each other, taking your cats and all the items you need plus the breakables/porcelain/collectibles with you. I'd just use the moving company for things we wouldn't need until we found our permanent home.

I'd stay at good hotels with secure parking to prevent break-ins.

If you love those high value items, why not transport them yourself to make sure they aren't damaged? I wouldn't want to even be thinking about insurance payouts, just handle it yourself.

Old 05-28-2023, 04:21 AM

294 posts, read 292,761 times
It is not a bad idea except I do not want to drive that distance. Too stressful for me.

Old 05-28-2023, 08:41 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,716,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshka2 View Post
It is not a bad idea except I do not want to drive that distance. Too stressful for me.
What about asking a family member or friend to drive your car? We flew our son out to help my husband drive our big moving truck when we did our 2000 mile move. They had a lot of fun and he was a huge help.

Old 05-28-2023, 02:41 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,818,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshka2 View Post
So, a year later I am back to this thread. We ended up not selling or moving last year. But, now we are under contract and will be closing in a little less than a month.

We also have changed our destination for where we want to move. Alas, we are now moving 1500 miles (Texas to Delaware to be specific). Our situation is similar to what it was last year although I think we do have some clarity on some things now.

We do not have an address for where we are moving. We plan to either rent a short term apartment (corporate type thing) or do an AirBnB. Then we plan to look to buy a house. Couple take 3 months although possibly more. So any movers we use will need to offer storage.

What we are sure we want to move:

Ascent trainer - This is very large and was very expensive and in great shape. We can't possibly sell it for anything close to even its used value.

2 Expensive office desk chairs - One of them cost over $4k and the other was almost $2k. Not having them damaged is obviously important

2 leather recliners - One is less than 6 months old. The other is much older but expensive to replace. If we need to cut something out of the list the old recliner would get cut.

Inexpensive cabinet - Sentimental value as it was the one thing I kept from my mom's house after she died.

Glass table with removable glass legs - This is an art piece that can't be replaced.

Christmas tree - Expensive, already in a box

3 TVs - 75", 40" and about 55" (OLED). These are all only a couple of years old.

20-50 boxes - We already packed away about 10 boxes of stuff last year. Depending on how draconian we want to be on getting rid of stuff we could have another 10 to 40 boxes. These are mostly clothes, bathroom stuff, office stuff and kitchen stuff. When we moved into this house we moved about 100 boxes and we are not taking all of that with us, so I think 50 at max is about right.

Cat Trees - bought from Chewy and a little over a year old. We will take if we have room. If not, could just discard and rebuy

Some decorative stuff - 2 or 3 large vases (one is an art piece floor vase). Several pictures. A few are small, 3 of them are large (maybe 6' tall)

Computers/monitors - 2 desktop computers, 2 notebook computers and 6 monitors. Some of these will come with us in our car

3 or 4 boxes of expensive porcelain figurines. The replacement cost on these is a lot. So unless we use a full service mover who packs our stuff and we insure, we will move this ourselves.

All other furniture and our major appliances will be either sold, donated, or trashed.

DH and I have one car (Volvo XC60 SUV) and will be transporting 2 cats. We will likely need to stay in a hotel at least 2 nights on the trip.

Our biggest problems are two things. We need to have available to us over the next few months our clothes and computers. We can't fit all of that in our car with the cats. We could do part of it but not all of it. The other problem are the porcelain figurines. If we use a traditional van lines (not a broker) I would be OK with them packing the figurines, us getting full insurance and them transporting them and keeping them in storage. However, I suspect that given the distance this may be cost prohibitive.

Options we have thought of:

1. Use a full service van lines (not a broker) to move everything except the clothes we need and the computers/monitors. We may be able to get most in the car. If we can't get it all we could ship some of it by UPS (pay for them to pack it and then insure it). This is by far the easiest and most protective solution. But, given a 1500 mile move even with almost no furniture I suspect this will be insanely expensive (we do plan to get quotes)

2. Use either a POD or 2 Relocubes. Pack all in there except the porcelain and the computers/monitors and our close. We hire someone to pack them, pay for storage and later pay to unpack. Hope nothing too much is broken. In the meantime, DH and I drive to Delaware with the cats and what fits in the car. Rest up a bit, then board the cats and drive back to where we started and pick up the porcelain (a friend will store it for us) and anything else we couldn't fit in the car). Then we drive back. Of course, this requires a total of about 4500 miles driving. We are a retired couple and this does sound exhausting.

3. A variation of choice 2. However, instead of initially driving our car with the cats, we rent either a very large SUV (we used to have a Ford Excursion so DH is familiar with driving one) or maybe a cargo van. We take the cats and basically everything with us. We go to Delaware, unload, board the cats and drop the rented vehicle at the Philly Airport. We then fly back to where we started pick up our car and drive back leisurely. That cuts the driving distance to 3000 miles total but does add rental expensive and air fare.

Doing something like renting a UHaul truck is a non-starter for DH. He does not want to drive a truck.

Any thoughts on any of this?
Option 1. $7500
Option 2. $7500
Option 3. $5500 (with broken Lladro's.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues