Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2023, 08:41 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,373,369 times

Advertisements

Been there, done that. Twice.

1) decide what to keep, and start packing. This is a great time to let go of all that stuff you don't use or don't really like, but have kept forever. Marie Kondo's rule of "keep what sparks joy" is a good guideline.
2) sell stuff on eBay, Craigslist, Facebook, or other venues.
3) donate or discard remaining stuff.
4) find new housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2023, 09:31 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,796,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Been there, done that. Twice.

1) decide what to keep, and start packing. This is a great time to let go of all that stuff you don't use or don't really like, but have kept forever. Marie Kondo's rule of "keep what sparks joy" is a good guideline.
2) sell stuff on eBay, Craigslist, Facebook, or other venues.
3) donate or discard remaining stuff.
4) find new housing.
Great list. Except I would put "find new housing" at the top of the list.

I would be letting all my family and friends know and ask for their help in finding a new home. Tour some places. Get a feel for what's available at what price.

One daughter was all excited about all the places she'd seen online for $1,400/month until she starting touring them.

Old 05-28-2023, 09:59 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,796,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
just a hypothetical. I am hearing of so many people being given 60 days notice because landlords want to sell their rentals to flippers - and people have been renting these units for a very long time. A lot of foreclosures happening post pandemic now too - and the homeowners are only given 60 days and some have lived in the homes for decades. I am just wondering how one goes about dealing with that. Looking around - knowing you have a deadline - not really wanting to have to move - and having so much stuff stored everywhere. It just seems overwhelming. And yet the focus here in NY seems to be on the bus loads of illegals coming over - unwanted - yet the government just wants to give them free housing, meals, health care, education, clothes etc. While there are people that literally don't know what to do first to find new housing and leave their own housing due to no fault of their own - generally.
If your income falls within guidelines you too could be eligible for housing assistance. There are programs available in various areas to help out. Some help first time home buyers. Some subsidize rent, Worth looking into.

For the past year or so, I've been reading and hearing of many long time tenants being told that the owners are selling. Current real estate prices are hard to resist.

Sad stories from those living in trailer parks when the parks are sold. Few new trailer parks being developed and even those that are, don't allow older trailers. So people who thought they had their housing costs figured out, suddenly find themselves with an trailer they can't sell or move, and nowhere to live at a comparable cost.

Old 05-28-2023, 02:23 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,818,131 times
Quote:
Imagine you lived in the same place for over a decade and love it - but have to leave and you have only 2 months. What is your game plan?
I'd buy a place in Newport/New Bern North Carolina, or Jerome Az. Maybe Coastal Oregon, or Eagle, Id.

Question: Do I just walk away from my current dump, or do I get to sell it?

Old 06-22-2023, 10:39 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,066,782 times
Two months is plenty of time , we have moved a lot. You immediately start packing what you dont need day to day, get rid of junk. Look online for new place. You make a list of everything that needs to be done like cancel or transfer utilities, cancel cable or transfer. Add kids school records, or vet records if you have pets.

I made a list and would cross off as i did the items ..we were always ready to move on time.

Old 06-22-2023, 10:16 PM

2,910 posts, read 1,358,282 times
Quote:
Imagine you lived in the same place for over a decade and love it - but have to leave and you have only 2 months. What is your game plan?
Assuming the housing issue is taken care of, the first thing is to downsize. Nothing like a move to a person realize they have too much stuff.

Old 06-23-2023, 08:23 AM

6,787 posts, read 4,227,308 times
Two months isn't really like 'overnight'. I would never start packing earlier than maybe 3 weeks before the move no matter what. It's not like I want to live out of boxes for months. Your first and most important move obviously needs to be to find new housing.

Old 06-23-2023, 11:01 AM

20,099 posts, read 9,003,220 times
shouldn't take more than a week to move if you have a plan. 60 days is plenty. Don't move your junk, toss it.

Old 06-23-2023, 12:58 PM

178 posts, read 115,740 times
I have a few simple rules way before any moving.

1. Have less junk to start with
2. Large stuff should be walked away from guilt-free.

The first one is work in progress, the second one means second-hand appliances or Ikea.

Old 06-23-2023, 09:44 PM

500 posts, read 359,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
I'd buy a place in Newport/New Bern North Carolina, or Jerome Az. Maybe Coastal Oregon, or Eagle, Id.

Question: Do I just walk away from my current dump, or do I get to sell it?

Just returned from Eagle, Idaho. I saw a whole lot of nice and not much blight. Hear tell it's pretty expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues