Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2023, 11:19 AM

350 posts, read 195,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'm always stumped by how many live with bare white or beige walls and a supposed otherwise well-thought-out design. Art and photos in my opinion personalize a home and provide that final stamp of a rooted existence.
You may change your mind after a second story flood while you're at work leaving NO ceiling and wet/dry drywall melted all over that art, library and other symbols of your "rooted existance".

Ask me how I know.

I own 45 things and will never give up that emotional freedom of the absense of a mental to-do list.

I can move out of my home in 2 hours from the inception of the idea to completion. (but need a moving truck if I'm taking my 4 items of furniture haha)

Old 08-28-2023, 11:53 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxrivers View Post
You may change your mind after a second story flood while you're at work leaving NO ceiling and wet/dry drywall melted all over that art, library and other symbols of your "rooted existance".

Ask me how I know.

I own 45 things and will never give up that emotional freedom of the absense of a mental to-do list.

I can move out of my home in 2 hours from the inception of the idea to completion. (but need a moving truck if I'm taking my 4 items of furniture haha)
I'm looking at the walls in our main living areas now and we have pictures hanging on the walls of our living room, dining room, foyer, hallway. It would literally take me 5 minutes to take those pictures off of the walls, stack them up and load them into a car.

We have just enough artwork/pictures hanging up to make the house feel homey. We also have some framed photos sitting out and those, too, could be picked up and packed up in a hurry.

Those things don't feel like burdens to me at all. What feels burdensome to me are the out of sight, out of mind boxes stored away in closets or the stuff tucked away in cabinets that we use rarely or not at all.

Old 08-28-2023, 03:50 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Our new home felt like home when we moved in. We were fortunate. Been here five years.

Old 09-04-2023, 02:23 PM

17 posts, read 12,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I think I've moved too many times; no place feels like home.

16 years in my parents' house, then a bunch of rentals over ten years.
We bought a house, stayed 18 years, then rented around for three years, bought another house and lived there for 10 years, went on the road for a year, then bought our current home 5 years ago. Yes, it's home, but I'm not particularly attached to it.
I can relate to this so much! I've stopped attaching myself to any home and have zero geographic pride in anywhere I've lived as an adult.

Old 09-04-2023, 02:42 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Now that you've moved, does your new home still feel temporary? Like you are just there for a short time and will be going HOME to the house you just moved from because that is still HOME?

Does that even make sense?
Gee, I left "home" more than 45 years ago, and have moved around the country. When we moved from somewhere that we were at more than 2 or 3 years, it did feel that way in the beginning, but at the 2 year mark, my head and heart had moved on. Now though, if I have the feeling I just want to go home, there is no real "home" anymore, but the adventures, the people and places are well worth the lose of "home" to me. Each time we returned to a previous location, it was not the same. We remember the positive things all too often and not the negative things. If a place was great, most likely one has not moved from there.

After 2 years if you would rather be "home" than where you are, you will probably never be content with where you are. One has to give it time. "Home" will not feel the same when you return, or so that has been the way I and others experienced it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.