Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 10:59 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,531,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotWire View Post
Ok my issue is this...I have a car, and while going on steep highway inclines, my car jumps from 3,000 rpm (80 m.p.h.) to 4 or 4,500 rpm while on cruise control going at the same speed. I dont like that. How do I get that to stop?
Umm...don't go 80 mph on steep grades, maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 09:44 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,534,641 times
Quote:
Ok my issue is this...I have a car, and while going on steep highway inclines, my car jumps from 3,000 rpm (80 m.p.h.) to 4 or 4,500 rpm while on cruise control going at the same speed. I dont like that. How do I get that to stop?
Stay on flat ground. Your car is dropping out of overdrive to get more power to get up the incline.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 5,687 times
I drove a moving truck from the Atlanta area to the Newark (NJ) area, and my leg got cramps from having to manipulate the pedal up and down to maintain speed on what had to be hundreds of hills. I was constantly watching the speedometer trying to maintain my speed, instead of the road. I agree with 'Crew Chief' who said (paraphrasing): cruise can save fuel & make the drive a lot more comfortable.
Generally it's better used when traffic is not bumper-to-bumper (as it generally is on I-75 or I-85 in Georgia in the daytime) when speeds vary constantly anyway. Same rule in any vehicle. When the transmission kicks down on a hill, the engine is revving good, but a quick tap on the brakes will bring your speed down very quickly. Be alert!
I don't know what was in the Budget 16' I rented but it was a good-sized V-8 (GMC 5l?) and hit near 5k when I put the pedal down. It could handle it no problem. Make sure to check the oil like they recommend, especially on a long haul.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:18 AM

7 posts, read 38,167 times
I dont think i have ever heard of this before.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:54 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,104,727 times
I have a love/hate relationship with cruise-control. I understand the concept - and love to use it in places like Rte 80 through Ohio and Inidana - and other flat places - mostly because I have a lead foot and need some help keeping my speed down. But driving up and down the east coast with the hills and waiting for the cc to engage on the up side p's me off. It's always several beats behind.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 5,436 times
Default Budget Trucks with Cruise Control

In June, 2010, we rented a 16' moving truck from Budget. It had cruise control and a lift-gate. This year we need a retractable ramp instead of a lift-gate, and a tow hitch. Budget says they do not have cruise control on models with hitches. Is there any rental company that have trucks in the 14-18-foot range that have both cruise control and a trailer hitch?

Old 01-03-2012, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 5,197 times
Default How to get it to stop

Quote:
One way to get it to stop is to drive at 30 mph so the engine has plenty of spare power and won't need to downshift.
Another way is to drive a car with a manual transmission and cruise control.
With manual, the car will maintain its speed by burning extra gas (it cannot downshift) on normal grades that is. However, if the grade is too steep, or if your car is overloaded, the car will start to slow down since it can't downshift on its own. You will have to downshift yourself and then re-engage the cruise to maintain the speed you had selected on the flat.
Cruise with a manual shift is my favourite as I too hate the constant downshifting of an automatic transmission, especially when it causes the car to surge over the crest of hills at a speed HIGHER than your setting (cops love to catch you on radar just over the crest). It simply doesn't happen with a manual tranny.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:25 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,499,200 times
Quote:
It's jumping out of cruise control and going back a gear. Don't use cruise control in hilly terrain, not only does the cruise kick out constantly but it's also costing you more in fuel as the cruise tries to maintain it's preset speed. Cruise is uneconomical in hilly terrain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues