Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2010, 07:50 AM

131 posts, read 411,684 times

Advertisements

Ok, so we aren't planning on moving for a few years still (have to pay off the credit card and save some money), but I am lost as to how we will go about it!
We are a family of 5 (kids are 6, 4 and 1.5 now) and we rent in northern MA and want to move to Central NY (about 5.5 hours away). We want to buy a home there. My husband is a chef and works for a big corporation (he works at a private high school now, but can work in nursing homes, hospitals, corporate cafeterias, colleges or country clubs....he prefers not to work in restaurants b/c of the hours). I babysit in our home. Hopefully when the time comes, his company will transfer him, but I know we can't count on that, so I am wondering how we will do this if he has to look for work outside of his company. And obviously no one will hire me as their babysitter from this far away.

SO, we will be relying on his income only to get approved for a mortgage, and I know that you have to have a job near where you want to buy the house before they will approve you for a mortgage....so how will it work? Should he move there first (alone) and just stay in some sort of extended stay hotel and secure a job? How long does he have to be at that job before we can get approved (I thought I heard 2 weeks somewhere)? And then do we start looking for a home?

I would really appreciate some advice from someone who has been in this position! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 08:00 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,998,307 times
Look for jobs which offer relocation assistance.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:09 AM

131 posts, read 411,684 times
I wonder if a lot of jobs are even offering that these days? Especially since he's definitely NOT in a high-paying industry. I would associate that kind of assistance with higher salaried jobs....but I most certainly could be wrong...I'm just trying to learn all I can.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:04 PM

6,498 posts, read 9,888,998 times
I had to stay in an extended stay when we were in the process of moving to NC and buying a house. I had to provide my first pay stub that showed my income here in NC. Everything else was in place and the only thing the lender was waiting on was the pay stuff. I provided that on a thursday and closed on friday.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:59 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,344,505 times
The main issue will be that he has to be employed to get the mortgage and you would have to qualify on his income.

However, of course this is just my opinion , I think trying to buy a house right off the bat in another location (especially one so far away) is not a great idea. Unless you are already 100 percent familiar with schools and neighborhoods etc, it is pretty risky to invest in a home when you are so unfamiliar with the area. Then there is the stress and hassle of moving AND buying paperwork with children etc.

Personally, I would plan on renting for a year (or even 6 months) while you get settled into the area and have time to explore neighborhoods and look at homes without the pressure.

The economy is still in a state of flux so anything can happen with the housing market and job opportunities in the next year or 2.

My plan is to start weeding out and selling on EBAY to get ready.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:47 AM

10,117 posts, read 19,481,580 times
Have you considered renting a home with option to buy? Usually the option is good for 2 years, gives you some flexibility. Just a suggestion..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues