Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 07:39 AM

994 posts, read 1,830,026 times

Advertisements

In movies, books, media, travel guides, photography, etc, you always hear about the beaches and coastlines of the east and west coast. However, you rarely or never see the Great Lakes.

It seems that they are underrated with plenty of beaches and natural beauty to be found anywhere. For instance, I think the entire western coast of Michigan is completely underrated with it beautiful coastlines, beach towns, etc. You never hear anything about it on a national scale.

I understand the ocean is different from freshwater lake, but I think the Great Lakes are really underrated when it comes to their beauty and the variety of their shoreline. Now I know the Great Lakes can never compete with the west coast, but I think the Great Lakes have a scenery on par with the East coast when it comes to natural beauty, beach towns, etc. with the exception of Florida.

It also seems the Gulf Coast is also very underrated, but I haven't visited it enough to really give that much of an opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 07:53 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,156,819 times
The Great Lakes are beautiful but to say it's on par with the beaches and scenery of the east coast is a little far fetched. The Great Lakes has no answer for the Mountains on the East Coast or the beaches. The East Coast is too big and offers too much variety. In a two hour drive, you can go from surfing on a sandy beach with crashing waves to skiing in the mountains.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:04 AM

785 posts, read 1,881,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
The Great Lakes are beautiful but to say it's on par with the beaches and scenery of the east coast is a little far fetched. The Great Lakes has no answer for the Mountains on the East Coast or the beaches. The East Coast is too big and offers too much variety. In a two hour drive, you can go from surfing on a sandy beach with crashing waves to skiing in the mountains.
I understood the subject was the immediate area surrounding the great lakes shorelines, not the region. You may be able to get to mountains 2 hours from the ocean, but we're only talking about maybe 10 miles from the shore.

Based on what I've gleaned from all the articles I've read and comments on numerous websites, I'd say yes, the Great Lakes as beautiful beach locations are rather overlooked and underrated.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:41 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,675,473 times
This sounds like Great Lakes as Third Coast thread part deux.

LOL

Old 03-04-2011, 08:42 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,675,473 times
Quote:
You can do all that on the Great Lakes. Surf, explore beaches, cliffs, bluffs, waterfalls and then go Skiiing. Of course it's not skiing in the mountains, but hey let's face it, are we all super skiiers?

Old 03-04-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
I am talking about the immediate coast. As far as I know East Coast doesn't have many mountains on the coast.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:02 AM

285 posts, read 642,032 times
The beaches on Lake Erie in Ohio are not that nice so I would say that they are not underrated.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:04 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,847,360 times
Quote:
The Great Lakes are beautiful but to say it's on par with the beaches and scenery of the east coast is a little far fetched.
Not at all far fetched. Lived on the East Coast for close to 20 years. Beaches here around the Great Lakes are every bit as good as the best of the East Coast, and better than 90% of them. Plus access is easier, cheaper (I've never had to pay for parking at the beach along the Great Lakes), and you don't have to shower after being in the water. Nothing will bite, or sting you either. Scenery will also match the east coast along the shoreline. From the sugar sands of Florida to the rocky bluffs of Maine.

Moderator cut: off-topic/personal

Last edited by Bo; 03-06-2011 at 08:30 AM..

Old 03-04-2011, 01:48 PM

93,239 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Actually, you have beaches on Lake Ontario that are a 2 hour drive from the Adirondacks here in Upstate NY. So, it is possible fot people in parts of the Great Lakes to get to the mountains in a short time.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by czb2004 View Post
The beaches on Lake Erie in Ohio are not that nice so I would say that they are not underrated.
Are they really that bad? The only one I have been too is in Sandusky and I was pretty indifferent, neither impressed or unimpressed. I ask because you are not the first I have heard say this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.