Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 12:20 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I surely don't see that and I live in the south. They're pretty loud-mouthed around here and many are quite vile and have no values, kind of like "all of my baby momma." Think back to Katrina and New Orleans. Oh my.
^^^Dogs are regarded more highly than blacks in parts of Texas, people.

K9, shouldn't you be cleaning out some beast's kennel or something?

Old 04-02-2011, 12:45 PM

68 posts, read 178,663 times
I actually notice a far bigger divide between west coast blacks and east coast blacks. Yeah, on AVERAGE blacks up north might be a bit louder, and blacks down south a bit more religious and quiet (This of course applies to northern and southern whites as well). But overall I've spent extended periods in NYC and Atlanta and the difference isn't as much as one might think. But the black people I've met out west, it IS quite different, although I can't quite put my finger on what the difference actually is...

Last edited by dblockindabuildin; 04-02-2011 at 12:55 PM..

Old 04-02-2011, 12:56 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
You clearly haven't been to a bar-b-que cookout or black family get-together in the South.
Lol.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:06 PM

68 posts, read 178,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I surely don't see that and I live in the south. They're pretty loud-mouthed around here and many are quite vile and have no values, kind of like "all of my baby momma." Think back to Katrina and New Orleans. Oh my.
Yeah, no help from the government for what 3, 4 days? Guess they should've just stayed in their house and starved to death

Don't you have a tea party to attend or something?

Old 04-02-2011, 01:17 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
The difference from what I see between black people isnt north vs south, but mainly country vs city.

My Atlanta relatives are WAY different than my relatives who live near Lexington Mississppi. The ones from Atlanta and me are VERY simpatico, share simlar world view, ambitions, etc, while the ones from Mississippi still have slop jars for the hogs on the back porch and are perfectly happy down there. Not much to talk about there as far as I'm concerned. I know other brothers here in NYC in the same situation. If their kin are from Atlanta or Baltimore or Winston-Salem or Norfolk they're generally on the same wavelength. If they come from "the sticks" in the south then they get labeled with the "country" thing, like my Mississippi relatives.

Now, since more black people from the Rustbelt and the Northeast are heading back down South I think this is the split that will be more and more significant.

Last edited by citylove101; 04-02-2011 at 01:38 PM..

Old 04-02-2011, 03:19 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
I think some of this might be generational in nature. Many of the older Blacks in the North and Midwest who moved there from the South retained much of their Southern culture when they relocated, while the younger generation doesn't have that affinity for the South and so probably don't connect as easily as the older generation although there is certainly still a connection to the Southern Black populace due to sharing an overall similar culture. It's also worth pointing out that the vast majority of Blacks in the non-Southern regions of the country are primarily living in urban areas, whereas in the South we can be found both in urban and rural areas in large numbers.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:01 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,643,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
The difference from what I see between black people isnt north vs south, but mainly country vs city.

My Atlanta relatives are WAY different than my relatives who live near Lexington Mississppi. The ones from Atlanta and me are VERY simpatico, share simlar world view, ambitions, etc, while the ones from Mississippi still have slop jars for the hogs on the back porch and are perfectly happy down there. Not much to talk about there as far as I'm concerned. I know other brothers here in NYC in the same situation. If their kin are from Atlanta or Baltimore or Winston-Salem or Norfolk they're generally on the same wavelength. If they come from "the sticks" in the south then they get labeled with the "country" thing, like my Mississippi relatives.

Now, since more black people from the Rustbelt and the Northeast are heading back down South I think this is the split that will be more and more significant.
Cool, what part of Atlanta is your relatives at? My area used to be the Cascade Heights neighborhood but then moved to the burbs at a young age.

Anyway, I feel that I'm more qualified to speak on this topic. I have family from the Northeast , Midwest, and South. I also have friends & associates from those 3 regions and I notice the general differences between someone who'd be deemed the typical Northerner, typical Southerner, and typical Midwesterner. In General a:

Typical Black Southerner (rural-small town) is someone who is very nice but can be naive about things. They have more of the "old school" mindset of some sorts. Life's more subdued for them. The downside is that they can be so obstinate (even when they're dead wrong)...

Typical Black Northerner (urban) is someone who's used to dealing with different types of people because they have to. Because they deal with so many people, they become well acquainted with different things. The downside is that they can feel themselves a little to much (even when they're dead wrong)...

Midwestern Blacks- a little bit of this, a little bit of that (the two regions up top that it).

Real life experiences:

When I was in the 6th grade, I remember talking to the guy that was helping me with weightlifting. The guy was telling me how I should have this workout routine because if I didn't my "muscles would turn into fat" I told him that muscles can't turn into fat because they are two different types of tissues. It's funny now but he was like "All I know is that if you start working out, it'll keep your muscles from turning into fat." The guy was from SC or something.

This one was pretty recent (last year actually). One of my friends growing up a person who moved to ATL when he was 10...guess where he's originally from? Yeah, same borough as Jay-Z. Anyway, his family was in town (it was like 10 of them) and he had a cookout in the ATL burbs. It was his relatives from NY and his friends. It was still regular season and the game was Yankees vs Baltimore and I asked my friend's uncle how many games are the Yankees up. It's crazy because the dude just went off and was like "Do you know baseball? Do you even look at baseball?" I let him know that I look at MLB and that he didn't answer the question. This dude then went on some drawn out explanation of what a half a game is and how it wasn't a whole game that "said" team is behind.

I thought, "This dude must think I'm stupid" but I just let him know that I was a Braves fan and it was all good after that. Another friend of ours from Boston was going back and forth with the 9 Yankee fans (I was talking to the 10th) but as soon as they heard about me being a Bravos fan they started talking noise about 96 & 99 (the tensions went down after that).

These are just generalizations though and some things that stuck out in real life.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:06 PM

65 posts, read 165,020 times
Then you have the upper south, which is basically the south but with east coast influences.

DC:

YouTube - Hood 2 Hood DC

YouTube - YOUNG SLEEP "WZUP HOLMES"

YouTube - Beat Rock - Tabi Bonney (Cool Kids Forever Films)

Baltimore:

YouTube - Hood to Hood baltimore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrrCn08lwaI

YouTube - BOSSMAN "I WONDER" IN HD (K-SWIFT INSPIRED TRIBUTE)

Old 04-02-2011, 07:12 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
"Controversial" posts are usually considered such because of generalizations and misinformation. This thread is pretty much destined to get nasty. Southern blacks will be accused of being slow, uneducated, overweight, lazy, bad dressers; Western blacks will be called white-washed and corny; and northern blacks will be called unattractive, salty, and arrogant. Pages after that, it will turn into a comparison of hip-hop scenes, complete with profanity laced YouTube videos. I look forward to it.
You called it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.