Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 12:47 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times

Advertisements

Just curious as to what people think. I think it's possible, but then again, LA is starting to transiiton to more urban living. If LA can have this high density with just single family homes, imagine what it would be like if our downtown expanded and many single family homes were replaced with low to mid rise apartments and condos. But then again, Chicago has already made the transition to urban living and it is much better to live in Downtown Chicago than Downtown LA which means more people can fit in one area which means Chicago may become larger. Chicago also has no barriers around its suburbs so they can just expand and expand while in LA, we have mountains blocking us.

I believe Chicago may one day pass LA at the rate LA is moving, but not any time soon. By the time Chicago has enough people to surpass LA, LA will have made a better transition to urban living which means we can fit more people into our small space.

According to Wiki, Chicago has higher density, but LA is mostly all suburbs, so if we become more urban, i don't think Chicago has a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 02:32 AM

492 posts, read 2,372,151 times
Not anytime soon. I thought I remembered reading that after gaining population in the 90's, Chicago had once again lost population since 2000.

Ahhhh yes... Here it is. Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I didn't know that Chicago had been the second largest city since 1890.

I've never been to LA, but I have read that it is becoming more urban and that density is increasing. Plus the economy seems better than that of Chicago. However, there also seems to be a mass exodus out of LA... So who knows.

I still say it would take something freakish like a LA-San Fernando Valley split to put Chicago at #2 again any time soon.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:45 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
Given the historical demographic trends in the US, I don't see that happening anytime soon unless something of Katrina like proportions decimates the city and the population flees. While the population has been moving west for awhile, and will continue to do so, I do have my concerns about the sustainability of continuing to build outwards in areas with little water.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:34 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Highly doubtful.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:27 AM

572 posts, read 1,995,718 times
Unless LA falls into the ocean, Chicago will never pass LA's population.
LA's csa is almost twice that of Chicago and it's growing at a faster pace.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:30 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st. louie louie View Post
Unless LA falls into the ocean, Chicago will never pass LA's population.
LA's csa is almost twice that of Chicago and it's growing at a faster pace.
This is pretty much it.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:16 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
Yeah, when SFV secedes.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:11 PM

358 posts, read 1,916,481 times
LA's land values are far higher. There is just far more potential for higher density residential development in LA. Chicago can't ever gain that much more - any extra population demand will just spill over to increased sprawl outside of city limits.
Ohh, wait, youre talking about metro areas. Yes Chicago could surpass it. The megapolis of Chicago-Detroit-Philadelphia-NYC. Suburbia covering everything east of the Mississippi!

Old 10-17-2007, 03:17 PM

718 posts, read 2,688,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliano View Post
LA's land values are far higher. There is just far more potential for higher density residential development in LA. Chicago can't ever gain that much more - any extra population demand will just spill over to increased sprawl outside of city limits.
Ohh, wait, youre talking about metro areas. Yes Chicago could surpass it. The megapolis of Chicago-Detroit-Philadelphia-NYC. Suburbia covering everything east of the Mississippi!
LOL thats not for many years and we all will be long gone after then. Chicago if anything will eventually sprawl and meet milwaukee that with northeeast indiana. That still does not equal the la-riverside-san bernadino and orange county corridors that make up the metro area of greater la.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:41 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,968 times
How does LA calculate its population? It seems that they take into account everyone that lives in LA county, whereas Chicago only considers people with actual Chicago addresses. Am I wrong? I thought I had heard this years ago. If someone in Southern California is living in Riverside, then is their address Riverside? Of if they're living in Manhattan Beach, are they added into the LA census? It's funny because in all my years of meeting people from "LA" only 2 have actually had LA postal addresses. I live 3 blocks outside of Chicago's city limits. So my mail address is not Chicago, nor is my zip code. I don't pay city taxes, etc. etc. When the census is taken, I'm not counted in Chicago's numbers. I'm not clear as to how that works in LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.