Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 12:02 AM

694 posts, read 2,652,056 times

Advertisements

Jealous of all that fresh water.

Aside from some of the trolls on this forum,
I never actually hear any one slam a region.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:08 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
The same reason they hate Houston (and Chicago). It's flyover country. The great American Middle is a cultural and social wasteland for them.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:19 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
To be honest,
Most people in California dont hate the Midwest because we never really hear anything about that area.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:36 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,742,903 times
You have created quite a few threads that put the Midwesterners on the defensive mode

To be frank, with the exception of Chicago and a few other major cities, the entire Midwest region does not seem to stand out that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Why do so many people hate the Midwest and Rustbelt?I mean the Midwest/Rustbelt region is one of the huge regions why are country has been so prosperous.Yeah i know theres crime and poverty in cities in the Midwest but there is crime and poverty in cities in all of the regions.I also know the economy is not that good right now in the Midwest,but can you really expect that to last forever.I mean if the economy in the West was to go bad would people hate that region?Than in the Midwest you have cities like Cleveland,Chicago,STL,Milwaukee,Indianapolis,and Detroit,cities which all have world class attractions.The Midwest has the great lakes,the cities also have nice architecture.Im posting this question because I wanted to see what people have to say on this topic.I mean Im suprised and kind of mad to see that so many people dislike the region I like so much.I mean I know not everyone is going to like the Midwest,but compared to the other regions,the Midwest seems to be the one that is the most disliked.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:03 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
Quote:

So, I guess a “non-boring” time is making sure the air conditioner always has Freon, the rock garden is weed less, and the windows aren't open because of the dusting involved the day after. Sounds like paradise to me.

It can be humid because we have these novelties called rain and plant life.

The Midwest is full of small towns because people actually choose to live there. Small towns in the dessert? Uh, no. Some, but we all know what they are like.

Keep that steering wheel crow bar locked tight, because you live in “Eden” and would never want to leave. It might be about quality of life, not quantity.

I choose to scrape my ice for 3 months; you choose to water your rock garden for 12.

Don't even talk to me about the filth and crime.

Keep living the dream!
Many small Midwest towns are declining in population beause people are clammering to get out, the younger generation won't even give a second though about living in someplace rural.

Oh steering wheel lock? Haha you think you're funny, it's almost sad.

Have fun scraping off your widshield at 7 in the morning when you're already 15 minutes late for work and that damn ice just doesn't want to budge.

Have fun freezing your fingertips off trying to pull open the frozen door handles.

Don't let that ice slide you all over the road when you suddenly realize that 4WD only works for snow.

Have fun sweating outside when the humidity is 100% and the temp is nearly the same.

So enjoy living in your paradise because obviously you fail to acknowledge the Midwest has any problems.

I'll continue to live in my "Eden" where I see natural beauty everyday, has literally tons of great restaurants to chose from, shopping GALORE, tons of cultural activities, hiking, biking, off-roading, driving up to San Diego for a beach getaway, going to Las Vegas for a fun weekend, and truly LIVING life.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:06 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,429,365 times
Quote:
Why do so many people hate the Midwest and Rustbelt?I mean the Midwest/Rustbelt region is one of the huge regions why are country has been so prosperous.Yeah i know theres crime and poverty in cities in the Midwest but there is crime and poverty in cities in all of the regions.I also know the economy is not that good right now in the Midwest,but can you really expect that to last forever.I mean if the economy in the West was to go bad would people hate that region?Than in the Midwest you have cities like Cleveland,Chicago,STL,Milwaukee,Indianapolis,and Detroit,cities which all have world class attractions.The Midwest has the great lakes,the cities also have nice architecture.Im posting this question because I wanted to see what people have to say on this topic.I mean Im suprised and kind of mad to see that so many people dislike the region I like so much.I mean I know not everyone is going to like the Midwest,but compared to the other regions,the Midwest seems to be the one that is the most disliked.
Because it is flat and boring.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:25 AM

146 posts, read 797,493 times
I don't hate the Midwest at all. It is true, people on the West Coast hardly hear a thing about the Midwest, but that doesn't make the area bad. I rarely hear about New England states (Rhode Island comes to mind), but I would still LOVE to visit that area (only area I haven't visited yet). I could never live in the Midwest, because I do not like snow and cold. I can't stand walking outside, seeing my breath, waiting for the car to warm-up, and so on. However, I do enjoy visiting the Midwest (Chicago, Madison) during the Summer

Old 11-07-2007, 06:03 AM

231 posts, read 1,142,235 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone HATES the midwest. It just isn't a hip place to people outside the area. People see it as farmer orientated, the cities as losing jobs, and the weather as very rough. Also, it is prairie-flat, so no mountains to look up to as well. It just doesn't have a cool vibe to it. I don't thing folks hate it though.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:01 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,615,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
Because it is flat and boring.
just like rude people

Old 11-07-2007, 07:18 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,391,828 times
I don't "hate" the midwest. I think Chicago is great city. The other parts of the midwest are more "eh" to me-I'm too indifferent to them to hate them. The weather ain't good, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.