Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2015, 11:36 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times

Advertisements

Ever noticed how many posters ask for very specific attributes in a prospective new home town? And how often the query is couched in terms of The Best Place rather than Some Good Places?

What happened to "good enough", and "we can work with that to make it better"?

Cities change, demographics shift, economies go up and down, TASTES change...what if you move somewhere and the perfect match gets thrown off balance? Are people really moving every time something isn't perfect (assuming they can afford to)? Maybe it just seems that way after reading lots of whiny, ranty posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 02:29 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Good point. The city to which I moved over three decades ago became nothing like it was when I first moved there. I had to move because I could no longer afford to live there and the cat and I enjoy having a roof over our heads.
I figure nearly forty years in one place is a pretty good run.

I didn't much like it any longer anyway, it now appeals to a different sort of person. But that's okay, nothing stays the same, cities, people, situations are fluid. I found a place more suitable to my present needs.

I like your "good enough" comment. Or maybe, "Here are some of the things I am looking for." No place is going to have everything for everybody. Even those that meet the most criteria now might fall short later.

Old 11-29-2015, 02:57 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
There is no perfect place, but people have to be picky. Of course, don't let it delay your search forever like what happens to some people on there! But you pick the best place that gives what you were looking for at that time.

Old 11-29-2015, 03:42 PM

389 posts, read 330,428 times
Agreed with the above. There really is no best place. Although if possible would suggest choosing a place that does well in the attributes you find most important. For me it's good schools, lower COL, few traffic jams, good economy, lots of things to do. That describes many cities and only excludes a few larger metro areas.

Old 11-29-2015, 03:53 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
"Never let the perfect be the enemy of the good"

Old 11-29-2015, 04:01 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Moving is so costly and emotionally taxing, people want the best of the best places to move to--a place that meets their needs. I think people know it won't be perfect, nothing is. And, no people don't just take off and move every time something changes in a place they once liked/fit well. They get disgusted for long enough to then make a move. Humans like security/safety, in general, and moving challenges that. So, no moving is not taken lightly by 99 % of people.

Old 11-29-2015, 04:05 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Moving is so costly and emotionally taxing, people want the best of the best places to move to--a place that meets their needs. I think people know it won't be perfect, nothing is. And, no people don't just take off and move every time something changes in a place they once liked/fit well. They get disgusted for long enough to then make a move. Humans like security/safety, in general, and moving challenges that. So, no moving is not taken lightly by 99 % of people.
Agreed. In a lot of cases, when someone moves...they might be there for a long time. So it's not like something you can just flip a coin on.

But I do see a lot of threads on here where someone posts their criteria for what they want in a new place, and most of the time they have to compromise on something...and they aren't expecting that. No place will be perfect.

For me, there are few cities that meet all my needs...so the list is fairly small and it's easy to decide from there.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:00 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Minerva, 40 yrs in one area definitely does not fit the fickle mold, and I know how you feel about a long-lived-in area changing to somewhere you no longer want to stay.

I don't think most people move around a lot. It just can start to sound like that on these forums sometimes. I have to remind myself that the squeaky wheels usually are not in the majority.

That said, the pickier someone is, the more likely he or she will be paralyzed by indecision, as someone pointed out. You have to take some chances or else you are probably missing out on a lot of good things.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:44 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,525 times
Ive lived in this city for 30 years and have no desire to move away.
It has a bit of everything I like and need, and then some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.