Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 02:33 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,605,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Old Town Alexandria is just 20 minutes south of DC but it was a city prior to DC being develop so it is very walkable with lots of shops, 2 metro stops, just 15 mins south of Reagan airport and it is very quaint in a old school charm kind of a way - reminiscent of Philly/Boston in some aspects. The area is very wealthy with a beautiful waterfront with lots of boating options on the Potomac and traffic is bad but the area itself doesn't feel hectic.
https://www.visitalexandriava.com/old-town-alexandria/
https://www.tripsavvy.com/walking-to...andria-1040412

Columbia is pretty much your suburb that is very diverse and very nice! It was the first planned suburban community and is nestled directly in between DC and Balt. It's fairly walkable and people walk to Merriweather Pavilion all the time to catch concerts and shows. It's also close to BWI airport.
Merriweather Post Pavilion » Schedule
Downtown Columbia

Frederick is more like Old Town, old school charm with a walkable core but is a bit more removed. It's nestled in the rolling foothills of the Appalachian Mountains in "almost" Western MD. It's like it's own sphere within the area since it's a bit removed. Outdoor activity wise, this is your best bet.
https://www.visitfrederick.org/
https://www.cityoffrederick.com/

All of the above are safe with good school districts.
I'm not too sure about Alexandria, as it may be a little too close to DC, as far as congestion and the like. However, it does seem to have just about everything we could want from a quick search.

Columbia seems like a nice area, again from a quick search. I see where it was ranked the best place to live last year from Money Magazine, I believe, and school seem to be good. It could work on multiple levels as well, since my company has a location in nearby Jessup. Something to think about....

Frederick intrigues Ebck. It is far enough removed to not feel like you are in the middle of one of the large metros, but seems large enough, and close enough to D.C. and Baltimore to make day trips easy. It would also keep us a little further out, which might be a good thing for the nature aspects.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 02:50 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
The only thing with places like Traverse City, it averages like 3' of snow in January alone. This would mean you could be stuck in a snow storm for long stretches. Also, if I recall from my trip there, it's pretty grey for most of the winter. I'm only mentioning this because of #4 on the OP's list.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...n-averages.php

Last edited by Ebck120; 08-30-2017 at 02:58 PM..

Old 08-30-2017, 03:17 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
The only thing with places like Traverse City, it averages like 3' of snow in January alone. This would mean you could be stuck in a snow storm for long stretches. Also, if I recall from my trip there, it's pretty grey for most of the winter. I'm only mentioning this because of #4 on the OP's list.

They also likely have infrastructure in place in order to remove the snow as well. I think that is something people not familiar with areas that get a lot of snow consider.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:34 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
I'm not too sure about Alexandria, as it may be a little too close to DC, as far as congestion and the like. However, it does seem to have just about everything we could want from a quick search.
While Alexandria is very close to DC it's history (built out in the late1700s/1800s through early 1900s) saved it from the suburban sprawl mess that developed in other parts of the metro area. In/around the Old Town section especially is quaint and doesn't have that overwhelming congestion you're most likely imagining.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:02 PM

1,257 posts, read 888,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
They also likely have infrastructure in place in order to remove the snow as well. I think that is something people not familiar with areas that get a lot of snow consider.
Yes. The Great Lakes get lots of snow (great for skiing and snowmobiling), and proximity to Canada means TC gets much more snow than Ann Arbor. Occasionally a storm is bad enough to lose power for a couple of days, so a fireplace or wood stove is great. Roads can be icy. Schools cancel a few times a year. 2014 was record breaking snowfall for Michigan, it's not like that all the time. But if driving in snow, and blizzard conditions is a worry, I would choose Ann Arbor. Much less snow and a GREAT lifestyle! In fact, we may end up there...we're big U of M fans!

Old 08-30-2017, 07:18 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Since you mentioned schools as an aspect, this walkable community SE of Rochester NY is the most affluent school district north of the NYC metro area in the state($108,236 median household income in 2014) and is usually viewed as being the "best" school district in Upstate NY: https://www.pittsfordschools.org

Village of Pittsford: Home Page
There is a town(ship) of the same name as well: Homepage | Town of Pittsford, New York

This is in the village: https://theurbanphoenix.com/2017/06/24/pittsford/
https://rocwiki.org/Schoen_Place

You can go into Rochester for more including the Strong Museum of Play, a bunch of sporting events, arts based events, festivals(inc. a big Jazz festival and the Lilac Festival) and plenty of history. Visit Rochester | Rochester, NY

If the spouse likes Football, there's NFL Football about an hour or so away and major Division 1 Football an hour or so the other way.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:43 PM

35 posts, read 41,514 times
Pittsburgh seems like it could be a good option, a city really making a revival and very "hilly". You get all the amenities of a big city without it being SUPER urban. Also much better cost of living then D.C. and other places in the Northeast.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:23 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
I'm always thinking about Michigan in general (my home state) and hope we can move back!
We're hoping to have our house on the market in a few weeks . You can buy it direct and we can cut out the middle man.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:

Yea, that is one thing that gives me pause when it comes to moving somewhere like Traverse City (Or really anywhere that gets a ton of snow). I don't mind snow, in fact, I quite enjoy it (as well as the cold. My husband and I both do better in the cold than the heat), but I don't necessarily want to live somewhere that keeps snow on the ground for 4 months at a time or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I assume this would be correct as well though. We have spent a good deal of time in Chicago (in the winter), and even when the snow just keeps falling, it seems that the roads and all stay fairly clear. I would hope Traverse City would be similar.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
While Alexandria is very close to DC it's history (built out in the late1700s/1800s through early 1900s) saved it from the suburban sprawl mess that developed in other parts of the metro area. In/around the Old Town section especially is quaint and doesn't have that overwhelming congestion you're most likely imagining.
Well, to be honest, my only experience in person with the DC area was about... ohh..... 20 years or so ago when I was 10, on a school field trip. I was picturing DC type congestion, but maybe that isn't the case. I have certainly heard good things about Alexandria, so I will check it out a little further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.