Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 08:19 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,720,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPonteKC View Post
No. It sucks.
I agree; Colorado is mostly flat and ugly in the heavily populated areas and has terrible people to boot. The weather sucks, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 04:33 AM

936 posts, read 822,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
It is more of a lifestyle thing in CO, and access to outdoor a activities, and having an active lifestyle.

Bullsheet! There are nothing but pot-smoking, Twinkie-snarfing coach potatoes in Colorado.

When you live in a higher altitude your body must work harder to function. The thinner air raises your metabolic weight and allows you to burn calories faster and more efficiently.

See this article from WebMD High Altitudes May Lead to Weight Loss

Old 09-08-2017, 09:53 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,696,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
Bullsheet! There are nothing but pot-smoking, Twinkie-snarfing coach potatoes in Colorado.

When you live in a higher altitude your body must work harder to function. The thinner air raises your metabolic weight and allows you to burn calories faster and more efficiently.

See this article from WebMD High Altitudes May Lead to Weight Loss
Haha, if that were true to the degree necessary to have much effect, there would be very few obese people in places like CO. But 22% is a LOT of people! Normalizing obesity does not solve the health problems. I wonder if that little experiment even considered that suddenly going to high altitude often causes loss of appetite. It was ONLY one week, and they said there was no change in food availability, but that doesn't mean the men consumed the same number of calories they normally do.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:35 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
I'm doing the starch-based low-fat vegan diet, based on Dr. McDougall's research. You can actually eat quite a bit, if you eat low calorie-dense foods. Which is mainly starch. Potatoes, rice, etc. They will fill you up and are lower calorie. And of course, lots of veggies, too. It's working great for me so far. Blood pressure way down, losing weight, etc.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/

He has all of his info for free on his website, including free webinars. You can sign up to watch for free every Thursday, and watch all the pre-recorded ones. His info is all based on real research. It's working for me.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:10 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,897,515 times
My brothers family moved to Denver 3 years ago and his wife has lost 80+ pounds. They are a lot more outdoorsy now, so I do believe the location helps. They go hiking, skiing, rafting, canoeing, etc about every other weekend. His new job has a lot of like minded people. My brother joined a cycling team as well. But my brother has always been in pretty decent shape.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:17 PM

3,158 posts, read 2,209,438 times
If Colorado residents are relatively slimmer due to the altitude, shouldn't that also apply to other states in the Rockies? Colorado does stand out regionally as having a very high educational attainment, so perhaps combined with the altitude and environment that encourages outdoor activity, they have the least bad statistic on this measure. Unfortunately even Colorado's obesity rate today is higher than that of the worst states a few decades ago.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:04 AM

There's a new research report that says we only burn a maximum calories a day, no matter how much exercise we do. I'm not surprised. Whenever I'd see how many calories I'd burn on a treadmill, etc., it would be amazing how few calories you burn during exercise. Then, you end up starving from the exercise and eat like a pig LOL.

So, I doubt it's the exercise. Unless it keeps them from sitting around eating more than they would. But, there may also be peer pressure to eat healthier foods, too. It's probably not popular there to wolf down Big Macs.

I'll see if I can find a link to that new research.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:29 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,698,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
I agree; Colorado is mostly flat and ugly in the heavily populated areas and has terrible people to boot. The weather sucks, too.
Bert_from_back_East, Denver has a better climate than anywhere back east, that's for sure.
Quote:
No. It sucks.
And aren't you from Kansas City? Don't see how that's an upgrade, but to each their own.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:36 AM

Okay, here is a summary in plain English of the study I mentioned:

https://www.csicop.org/specialarticl...control_weight

The actual text of the study is here:

http://www.cell.com/current-biology/...822(15)01577-8

And the paper was actually written over a year ago, but it's getting recent press.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:46 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
No. It sucks.
It has a higher quality of life than anywhere in Missouri or Kansas. Yes, more people are moving there and real estate prices are increasing. It is highly recommended to have good paying jobs lined up before moving there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.