Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 07:05 AM

13 posts, read 12,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
That's a tad dramatic. One can get from places like New Brunswick/Elizabeth NJ to NY Penn Station via NJ Transit or the MTA Subway from the end of the line in Astoria-Queens of Jamaica-Queens in around an hour. Given the layout of the NYC metro area and time involved that's not far above an average commute, and certainly worthwhile most likely for an aspiring singer-songwriter. Also to be fair there are significant other opportunities outside of Manhattan and Brooklyn in the NYC metro.

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_des...trs=Music.live
https://www.yelp.com/search?find_des...70171593237324
Thanks! Yeah, I'd have thought that non-central NYC is probably still far better than the majority of other locations, and then you still have Manhattan/Brooklyn available to you if you care to make the effort of commuting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 07:27 AM

13 posts, read 12,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
If you play that kind of music, you'd be fine in any of those places.

I was trying to see if you play/sing a style that is specific to any of those cities, but it is not.
Thanks! It would be nice to go somewhere where there is some possibility of playing as simple "singer-songwriter" (me + acoustic guitar); I'd like to try some open mics and maybe meet other musicians that way, so maybe that's worth noting?

I imagine that, were I to arrange things with a band, there'd be a bit of an "acoustic alt rock/songwriter meets jazz" thing going on. I'd probably elect a drummer with strong jazz influences, and maybe throw some lead jazz instrumentation in there in doses if I'm feeling real edgy.

The crux of what I do is always going to be melody/hook driven, though, so I imagine that I should be able to perform in any one of these places, whether it's solo or with various sorts of bands. Let me know if you have any additional (or contrary) input, and thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.