Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 04:53 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,325,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Both Asheville and Chat will be humid. I was just in Asheville sweating all day.
I did indeed point out that these places will be humid in the summer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 04:58 PM

373 posts, read 348,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
It depends what your definition of affordable is, and how long is too long of a commute.

Beaverton, Oregon and Vancouver, Washington are both decent suburbs, affordable (in my book at least) and are both around 30-45 minutes to the airport.
Well I would only be making roughly 17-18 bucks an hour with overtime and extra shifts and would eventually have a second income when my girlfriend found a job . I would say max commute time of 45 minutes to work .

I am not overally familiar with the layout of Portland but I believe the airport is directly north of downtown on the river , so in terms of commute and cheaper would east or west be a better choice

Old 09-21-2017, 05:04 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
It depends what your definition of affordable is, and how long is too long of a commute.

Beaverton, Oregon and Vancouver, Washington are both decent suburbs, affordable (in my book at least) and are both around 30-45 minutes to the airport.
Beaverton is more expensive than expensive Albany area suburbs/cities. Vancouver is more expensive than solid Albany area suburbs and is more of an adjacent city just north of Portland.

Contrary to what people may think of NY State, cost of living is lower in Upstate NY.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Beaverton is more expensive than expensive Albany area suburbs/cities. Vancouver is more expensive than solid Albany area suburbs and is more of an adjacent city just north of Portland.

Contrary to what people may think of NY State, cost of living is lower in Upstate NY.
I believe it. To me, the suburbs of Seattle & Portland are pretty affordable, but that's also because I'm used to the Bay Area which is just a scam.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateman92 View Post
Well I would only be making roughly 17-18 bucks an hour with overtime and extra shifts and would eventually have a second income when my girlfriend found a job . I would say max commute time of 45 minutes to work .

I am not overally familiar with the layout of Portland but I believe the airport is directly north of downtown on the river , so in terms of commute and cheaper would east or west be a better choice
As others have said, you might be best where you are. Unless you can change up your list of "wants", then you might be able to find a new place to call home.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:56 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
I did indeed point out that these places will be humid in the summer
Just seems odd you would suggest a place in the SE for someone who wants to escape humidity. No biggie.

What about Spokane?

Old 09-22-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Just seems odd you would suggest a place in the SE for someone who wants to escape humidity. No biggie.

What about Spokane?
Realistically, for what the OP wants, it will be hard to check off everything on the list while staying affordable. I simply recommended places that have most of what they want.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:34 PM

115 posts, read 101,476 times
Colorado Springs maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.