Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 12:04 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times

Advertisements

Ok, my husband and I have some positives in our situation so I'll name them first:

1. We can live anywhere in the US we want because a) we will be financially ok upon retirement and b) until retirement, my husband's job pays great, he's self employed, and as long as there's pretty easy access to a good airport, he can fly to work (he works in the oil and gas industry).

2. Our housing budget will allow us to live comfortably in any number or states and cities - it's about $300,000 but we could go up from that a bit too - or go down, depending on the metro area. We want at least 2000 square feet but that's do-able in many mid sized metro areas which is our preference (we don't want to live in a huge metro area but we'd like to live near one).

3. Our kids are all grown, and sort of scattered, so we don't feel the need to live all that near any of them - as long as it's an easy flight or a drive of 8 hours or less we'd be happy with it. Also, they aren't really settled and may move anywhere, so we just need to pick a place and hope for the best.

We currently live in northeast Texas, and we LOVE Texas in general, and the south in general, but we only have one life and we want the most we can get, if that makes sense. Texas summers are not only hot, but hot and LONG. We could deal with some colder winters in exchange for some shorter summers, but we don't want to deal with months of snow and ice.

Personally my very favorite state is Virginia, from a climate and "stuff to do" perspective, but dang it, it's pretty expensive. But what I like about Virginia is it's close proximity to both mountains and the ocean. Also, it has four distinct seasons that are pretty evenly spaced out. We are both fine with heat and humidity - we'd just prefer that it not last six months like it does here in northeast Texas.

We've considered, and have not ruled out, North Carolina, northern Georgia, northern South Carolina, and southwestern Tennessee. However, maybe I'm exaggerating this but maybe not - I am really concerned about the growing opiate crisis in the TN valley, southern Appalachian region, and the Ohio Valley. So this makes me concerned about TN and to some extent NC.

My husband is a Republican and conservative. I am an Independent but veer to the conservative side of things. We are in our late 50s. Having lived in Texas for so long, we are used to, and like, living in a "young" state. (Texas has a very young "median age.") We don't want to live in a state populated by a bunch of old folks, frankly, even though I am sure that some people would consider US to be old folks! We are active and healthy and even when we retire in a few years, we don't want to sink into an old folks mentality.

West Virginia and Kentucky are probably not going to happen. We don't much care for the Nashville area and we are TOTALLY uninterested in the delta regions of TN, AL, and AR. Arkansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma are also out of the running because we want to be closer to the ocean, not further from it - plus we are both very familiar with those states and for various reasons we just don't want to live in them.

We love what some would call southern values, culture, etc. We do want to live in an area where we're not at odds with most of the population.

Not trying to be ornery, but we have no interest in living in the western half of the US. The Deep South is problematic as well, due to the long summers (though I have toyed with the idea of Huntsville, AL).

We are definitely going to visit some midsize metro areas over the next year or so - and we plan to visit in the two months of the year in which most states have their "worst" weather - August and February. I know, not good "touristing" months but that's sort of the point. We don't want to be tourists, we are looking for a place to live.

We love short 2-5 day trips, love history, love the mountains and the ocean and that sort of thing. We enjoy random little trips to interesting places.

Any suggestions? What about High Point NC, maybe the suburbs of Charlotte NC, Greenville and/or Spartanburg SC, Johnson City TN, Chattanooga TN, or places like that? These are metro areas that we've driven through or near, but aren't familiar with. Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 01:41 PM

467 posts, read 427,777 times
I'd strongly look into Winston-Salem, NC and really the whole Triad region, which includes Greensboro and High Point (they are essentially 30 minutes apart). Beautiful, moderate 4-season climate; a bit over 2 hours to Asheville and the Blue Ridge Mountains and a bit over 3 hours to Wilmington and the coast/beaches. Not as much of a "big city" feel as Raleigh or Charlotte, but still plenty to do in terms of cultural attractions and amenities. Winston-Salem, and to a lesser extent, Greensboro, is in the midst of a revitalization of sorts, yet both cities are unmistakably Southern in culture and pace-of-life. There's never been a better time to consider moving here! Best of luck with your search.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
I'd strongly look into Winston-Salem, NC and really the whole Triad region, which includes Greensboro and High Point (they are essentially 30 minutes apart). Beautiful, moderate 4-season climate; a bit over 2 hours to Asheville and the Blue Ridge Mountains and a bit over 3 hours to Wilmington and the coast/beaches. Not as much of a "big city" feel as Raleigh or Charlotte, but still plenty to do in terms of cultural attractions and amenities. Winston-Salem, and to a lesser extent, Greensboro, is in the midst of a revitalization of sorts, yet both cities are unmistakably Southern in culture and pace-of-life. There's never been a better time to consider moving here! Best of luck with your search.
This area is definitely on our short list - thanks for the feedback! I lived in Fayetteville, NC as a kid and I remember loving the weather, as well as the proximity to the mountains and the coast. I really liked life on the eastern seaboard but away from all the congestion of the northeast corridor too. On visits back to that region, I continue to really like it. So many positives.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:51 PM

672 posts, read 699,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We've considered, and have not ruled out, North Carolina, northern Georgia, northern South Carolina, and southwestern Tennessee. However, maybe I'm exaggerating this but maybe not - I am really concerned about the growing opiate crisis in the TN valley, southern Appalachian region, and the Ohio Valley. So this makes me concerned about TN and to some extent NC.

From the rest of your post, I'm assuming you meant Southeastern Tennessee. This may throw some people off, reading your initial post.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1538 View Post
From the rest of your post, I'm assuming you meant Southeastern Tennessee. This may throw some people off, reading your initial post.
Oh gosh, yes, I mean SOUTHEASTERN Tennessee! Definitely not southwestern. Good catch.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:36 PM

3,161 posts, read 2,211,422 times
Since you mentioned Huntsville was a possible option, Guntersville, AL is a nicely situated nearby small town, on a peninsula along the Tennessee River. It looks like an appealing place for active retirees and is definitely right of center politically. The climate in northern Alabama is a little warmer than areas in central North Carolina and Virginia, but not as sweltering as most of Texas. Mountains and some of the country's best beaches in the Florida Panhandle are within a reasonable driving distance and Alabama usually has one of the nation's lowest overall tax burdens as well.

Some of the more outlying rural areas are very insular while Huntsville is a cosmopolitan high-tech center, so there is quite a variety of places in northern Alabama - but in a general sense the Southern culture is more "undiluted" than in the states further east and north.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Since you mentioned Huntsville was a possible option, Guntersville, AL is a nicely situated nearby small town, on a peninsula along the Tennessee River. It looks like an appealing place for active retirees and is definitely right of center politically. The climate in northern Alabama is a little warmer than areas in central North Carolina and Virginia, but not as sweltering as most of Texas. Mountains and some of the country's best beaches in the Florida Panhandle are within a reasonable driving distance and Alabama usually has one of the nation's lowest overall tax burdens as well.

Some of the more outlying rural areas are very insular while Huntsville is a cosmopolitan high-tech center, so there is quite a variety of places in northern Alabama - but in a general sense the Southern culture is more "undiluted" than in the states further east and north.
Thanks, I have never even considered Guntersville, so I will definitely check into it!

Southern culture definitely doesn't bother either of us!

Old 12-04-2020, 07:32 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Ok, my husband and I have some positives in our situation so I'll name them first:

1. We can live anywhere in the US we want because a) we will be financially ok upon retirement and b) until retirement, my husband's job pays great, he's self employed, and as long as there's pretty easy access to a good airport, he can fly to work (he works in the oil and gas industry).

2. Our housing budget will allow us to live comfortably in any number or states and cities - it's about $300,000 but we could go up from that a bit too - or go down, depending on the metro area. We want at least 2000 square feet but that's do-able in many mid sized metro areas which is our preference (we don't want to live in a huge metro area but we'd like to live near one).

3. Our kids are all grown, and sort of scattered, so we don't feel the need to live all that near any of them - as long as it's an easy flight or a drive of 8 hours or less we'd be happy with it. Also, they aren't really settled and may move anywhere, so we just need to pick a place and hope for the best.

We currently live in northeast Texas, and we LOVE Texas in general, and the south in general, but we only have one life and we want the most we can get, if that makes sense. Texas summers are not only hot, but hot and LONG. We could deal with some colder winters in exchange for some shorter summers, but we don't want to deal with months of snow and ice.

Personally my very favorite state is Virginia, from a climate and "stuff to do" perspective, but dang it, it's pretty expensive. But what I like about Virginia is it's close proximity to both mountains and the ocean. Also, it has four distinct seasons that are pretty evenly spaced out. We are both fine with heat and humidity - we'd just prefer that it not last six months like it does here in northeast Texas.

My husband is a Republican and conservative. I am an Independent but veer to the conservative side of things. We are in our late 50s. Having lived in Texas for so long, we are used to, and like, living in a "young" state. (Texas has a very young "median age.") We don't want to live in a state populated by a bunch of old folks, frankly, even though I am sure that some people would consider US to be old folks! We are active and healthy and even when we retire in a few years, we don't want to sink into an old folks mentality.

West Virginia and Kentucky are probably not going to happen. We don't much care for the Nashville area and we are TOTALLY uninterested in the delta regions of TN, AL, and AR. Arkansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma are also out of the running because we want to be closer to the ocean, not further from it - plus we are both very familiar with those states and for various reasons we just don't want to live in them.

We love what some would call southern values, culture, etc. We do want to live in an area where we're not at odds with most of the population.

Not trying to be ornery, but we have no interest in living in the western half of the US. The Deep South is problematic as well, due to the long summers (though I have toyed with the idea of Huntsville, AL).

We are definitely going to visit some midsize metro areas over the next year or so - and we plan to visit in the two months of the year in which most states have their "worst" weather - August and February. I know, not good "touristing" months but that's sort of the point. We don't want to be tourists, we are looking for a place to live.

We love short 2-5 day trips, love history, love the mountains and the ocean and that sort of thing. We enjoy random little trips to interesting places.

Any suggestions? What about High Point NC, maybe the suburbs of Charlotte NC, Greenville and/or Spartanburg SC, Johnson City TN, Chattanooga TN, or places like that? These are metro areas that we've driven through or near, but aren't familiar with. Any other suggestions?
You definitely don't want Kentucky -- at least the two biggest cities -- if you're conservative. Have you seen Louisville on the news lately? Or our governor??? I would say anywhere in Florida or Tennessee. Following, because I'm also looking (although I need to be on/near the ocean or at least a lake).

Old 12-04-2020, 11:16 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,005,970 times
What ever came of this KathrynAragon? Are you still wanting to leave Texas?

Old 03-04-2021, 09:59 AM

473 posts, read 405,775 times
We are in a similar situation to you. We are current TX residents looking in Alabama (Hunstville/Guntersville, South Birmingham), Tennessee (Chattanooga and NE corner near VA), and northeast GA.

For us Alabama is looking pretty good so far as a prospective choice, especially tax-wise and cultural fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.