Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 09:56 AM

395 posts, read 523,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Extreme? Every single county that touches PA is exactly like southern PA.

that has nothing to do with anything in this thread
I was just describing the culture shift in Maryland though. Because part of Virginia borders Maryland- I do think thats signifigant.

Maryland is a transition zone between North and South. IMO, its not totally a Northern state , in that regard.
DE goes up above the Mason Dixon line, so thats really not as debateable.

La Plata, MD is really very Southern. I have been there.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:05 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
DC and Maryland would be South Atlantic according to the Census department which is good enough for me. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/us_regdiv.pdf Which puts it in the South (region 3) definition.

Yes Blueva, that means VA is still considered Southern, your ancestors can rest easy.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
DC and Maryland would be South Atlantic according to the Census department which is good enough for me. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/us_regdiv.pdf
And good enough for me too!

Old 09-20-2008, 10:13 AM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
Quote:
DC and Maryland would be South Atlantic according to the Census department which is good enough for me. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/us_regdiv.pdf Which puts it in the South (region 3) definition.

Yes Blueva, that means VA is still considered Southern, your ancestors can rest easy.
I highly disagree, being a native marylander. Maryland and DC as well as Nova is part of the North. Sorry

Old 09-20-2008, 10:22 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
I highly disagree, being a native marylander. Maryland and DC as well as Nova is part of the North. Sorry
Disagree all you want, those are the separations the US Census Bureau uses for the different regions of the US. The question was " Is maryland and de are south or north ?" (Which we all know they meant Maryland and DC). the answer is South. Not asking if they have a Southern or Northern feel to them. If that were the case I would agree 100% with you in that they have a more Northern feel and attitude to them now than they did years ago.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:28 AM

389 posts, read 1,095,430 times
I think most Marylanders consider themselves part of the northeast, so northeastern they are. And Delaware is definitely part of the northeast.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
NOVA Is NOT North. Dont speak for all us Virginians, lol

Last edited by blueva; 09-20-2008 at 10:57 AM..

Old 09-20-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Not asking if they have a Southern or Northern feel to them. If that were the case I would agree 100% with you in that they have a more Northern feel and attitude to them now than they did years ago.
There we go. We're not talking about Geography (which i still fail to see how Maryland is geographically south) , are we? We're Talking about the culture in thisthread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torresdale View Post
I think most Marylanders consider themselves part of the northeast, so northeastern they are. And Delaware is definitely part of the northeast.

Exactly. Agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
NOVA Is NOT North. Dont speak for all us Virginians, lol
I live closer to Nova than you do. i have a right to talk. You may have been born there but you moved away in 1998 you said. things change

Old 09-20-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
There we go. We're not talking about Geography (which i still fail to see how Maryland is geographically south) , are we? We're Talking about the culture in thisthread

Exactly. Agree 100%

I live closer to Nova than you do. i have a right to talk. You may have been born there but you moved away in 1998 you said. things change
Then how about Richmond? Are we the Northeast?
We are all but 75 mi from NC

So when you cross NC into VA all of a sudden you are in the North? I dont think so, boy!

Old 09-20-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
Then how about Richmond? Are we the Northeast?
We are all but 75 mi from NC

So when you cross NC into VA all of a sudden you are in the North? I dont think so, boy!
where did i say All of VA was northern. please, quote me. I Said nova. meaning Northern Virginia. Oh wait, you don't think that northern Virginia touches NC? please look at a map one more time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.