Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 09:55 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,048,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
People also say that Atlanta is not southern, I gather for similar reasons to Florida not being southern. Why are some areas like these referred to this way? Maybe the immigration of hispanics in Florida, or the non-southern people retiring in Florida? In Atlanta is it the same reasons? I think most cities or states become multicultural when a lot outsiders begin to move in, but I didn't think that would cause the area to lose its culture...it seems to me the areas have just added to the culture that was already there.

I still think that this question is easily answering by whichever geographical region each state is located in. It doesn't really matter if some people want Virginia to be northern or mid-atlantic. Unless they can pick it up and move it, Virginia is located in the southeastern U.S.

I do like the thought of the south being the SweetTea States. That's cute. Does that make the northeastern and new england states the BitterTea Region?

A lot of the old souther don't place the word "Southern" on a place, so much as a lifestyle and attitude. When I was in Charleston SC we used to talk about this a lot with locals. They don't consider Floridan to have the South in the veins, so to speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 10:56 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,819,676 times
Alaska...northern, everything else...southern!

Old 02-11-2007, 12:28 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,391,548 times
I've always said that considering all the social, cultural, demographic and population changes that have occurred in this country over the last 150 years, I don't consider the Mason-Dixon Line applicable anymore as the end-all divider between North and South. Rather than falling on Civil War classifications, I tend to judge more based on geographical and cultural factors. I also feel that there is such a variance within states that you can't really classify many of the same states as being part of the same region. I guess I would classify the following:

Northeast - ME, NH, VT, MA, CT, RI, NY, Northern NJ
Mid-Atlantic - Southern NJ, PA, DE, MD, DC, VA, perhaps WV
Great Lakes - MI, OH, IN, IL, WI, maybe Western PA
South - NC, SC, GA, FL, TN, AL, MS, LA, AR, southern parts of MO and KY
Midwest - OK, KS, NE, ND, SD, MN, IA, MO

Everything else is just "the West" and I agree that Texas is sort of it's own entity. I also have trouble really classifying some areas like West Virginia, Kentucky, Ohio and Michigan and similarly much of Florida is almost it's own subtropical neo-Caribbean region.

Old 02-11-2007, 01:40 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,788,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
That's funny! I like that!

Old 02-11-2007, 08:30 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,800,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
So I guess that means I live in the south too?

Too bad about half of our "southern summer days" are still too chilly for me.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 02-11-2007 at 08:42 AM..

Old 02-11-2007, 10:34 AM

1,489 posts, read 8,796,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
I've always said that considering all the social, cultural, demographic and population changes that have occurred in this country over the last 150 years, I don't consider the Mason-Dixon Line applicable anymore as the end-all divider between North and South. Rather than falling on Civil War classifications, I tend to judge more based on geographical and cultural factors. I also feel that there is such a variance within states that you can't really classify many of the same states as being part of the same region. I guess I would classify the following:

Northeast - ME, NH, VT, MA, CT, RI, NY, Northern NJ
Mid-Atlantic - Southern NJ, PA, DE, MD, DC, VA, perhaps WV
Great Lakes - MI, OH, IN, IL, WI, maybe Western PA
South - NC, SC, GA, FL, TN, AL, MS, LA, AR, southern parts of MO and KY
Midwest - OK, KS, NE, ND, SD, MN, IA, MO

Everything else is just "the West" and I agree that Texas is sort of it's own entity. I also have trouble really classifying some areas like West Virginia, Kentucky, Ohio and Michigan and similarly much of Florida is almost it's own subtropical neo-Caribbean region.
Virginia is Southern in cluture, climate, and history, so I dont consider it Mid-Atlantic.

Also, where do you put KY?

KY is southern, but located next to Ohio. But Southern Ohio is southern in culture. The northern tip of Virginia is parellell to Cincinatti, but most all of Virginia is with Kentucky.

So I consider, KY, WEST VA, AND VA all to be part of the Upper South.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:59 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,800,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
I agree.

I'd put those states in the Upper South, NC TN AR and OK in the Middle South (if that exists, I know it's at least a gardening zone, ) and TX LA MS AL GA FL and SC in the Deep South; for historical and climatic reasons.

Old 02-11-2007, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Virginia is Southern in cluture, climate, and history, so I dont consider it Mid-Atlantic.

Also, where do you put KY?

KY is southern, but located next to Ohio. But Southern Ohio is southern in culture. The northern tip of Virginia is parellell to Cincinatti, but most all of Virginia is with Kentucky.

Geographically, Virginia is the very definition of a Mid-Atlantic state. If one had no knowledge of the Mason-Dixon Line, a line which as I stated I personally feel is irrelevant today, and was asked to classify Virginia according to region, it would be classified based purely on it's location as Mid-Atlantic:

Old 02-11-2007, 12:39 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,796,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
Geographically, Virginia is the very definition of a Mid-Atlantic state. If one had no knowledge of the Mason-Dixon Line, a line which as I stated I personally feel is irrelevant today, and was asked to classify Virginia according to region, it would be classified based purely on it's location as Mid-Atlantic:

Virginia is a South-Atlantic state.

Geogrphically, Climate wise, and everything else.

VA has much more in common with NC and SC than it does PA or NJ

The Mid Atlantic States are: NY, PA, NJ, DE

The only people who call VA "Mid-Atlantic" are transplants from more northern areas who dont like to consider themselves in the South.

Old 02-11-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Virginia is a South-Atlantic state.

Geogrphically, Climate wise, and everything else.

VA has much more in common with NC and SC than it does PA or NJ
Says who? As I said, geographically, looking at the national map, Virginia lies EXACTLY in the middle of the Atlantic coastline. If you were to ask someone, a non-American who had no knowledge of the history or culture of this country where Virginia lies, they would say the Mid-Atlantic

What's the point of this thread exactly? I thought it said "what states do YOU consider North/South?" It's an opinion-based question so why do you repeatedly argue in this thread and others with those who dare to disagree with you as if it were an objective question?
Quote:
The only people who call VA "Mid-Atlantic" are transplants from more northern areas who dont like to consider themselves in the South.
How does that make them any different from you, repeatedly and vigorously insisting that Virginia is anything BUT the North and recoiling and taking offense at the notion of people in Northern Virginia and elsewhere as being anything other than Southerners?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.