Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 10:59 PM

86 posts, read 72,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dango53 View Post
I am in VT and although late spring, summer and early fall are beautiful "about 5.5 months" I am so tired of the snow and taxes. Too expensive to live here anymore. I want to move to a better climate. I can deal with a couple months of really hot but do not want the extreme cold. Is there anywhere on the east coast that fits that bill? Looking at Blue Ridge NC or VA. Opinions?
I've found VA people and weather to be fantastic. If you want more snow, head to the West side of the state. The east is lovely and green, but more congested than the West. With that comes a lot of amenities and you are closer to the coast of course. Taxes are decent (you can search by county), you don't have serious, regular weather threats, there are insects and snakes but nothing like farther south regions. Here you watch for termites and carpenter ants, copperheads in some areas. There are rattlesnakes on the West side especially in the mountains. Drivers are good overall as well (my experience is that SC has rude drivers and MD has impatient drivers, for example).

Schools are good in VA and the roads generally are, too. I feel the way local government operates is generally above average. It is a state that is loaded with outdoor activity opportunities, history, beauty, friendly people, quality grocery options (DC and south to Richmond) and decent healthcare.

Best wishes with your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 11:06 PM

86 posts, read 72,126 times
Default Did you move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieren View Post
I'm looking to re-locate to a state that has a warm to hot climate (about 60-90 degrees or so) most of the year, with lower humidity. I don't mind cooler nights/winters, but I'd prefer somewhere that generally has nice weather for outdoor activities. I currently live in WI, and I am sick of the freezing weather and humidity!

I would also prefer somewhere that is known for friendly people, artistic communities, and lots of fun things to do outdoors. Being close to a beach or lake for swimming would be a good bonus too!! Also, a low cost of living would be nice. Tall order, huh? hehe!

So, if anyone knows of or lives in a state/city/area like this, let me know where, and why you like it! So far, I have been considering Texas, New Mexico and Tenesee.

I was thinking about California, but from what I've heard about the general attitude there, I'm not sure. I would prefer somwhere that is known for welcoming people, and more of a small-town attitude, if you know what i mean? Feel free to prove me wrong, though, becuase I do like the climate in CA and have relatives there. ^_^

Thanks in advance!!!
I would love to hear how you've made out!

Old 08-21-2019, 06:49 PM

16,081 posts, read 10,744,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMMountaingirl View Post
We live in southern NM and right now our daytime temps are running in the low 100's. You might find what you're looking for in northern NM, above the Albuquerque parallel. I'd stick to the central or western areas. Several small lakes, blue skies, nice forests, dry temps, low humidity, and always friendly, mellow people. You'll get the "blue" attitude you're looking for in some of the larger towns such as Santa Fe, Taos, Angel Fire.
I agree --- the northern half of New Mexico is the best bet and generally affordable (Santa Fe can get pricey). Right now I hear thunder in the distance (Monsoon Season) but the humidity is 23% and temp is 87. We see about 10 or 20 minutes of rain maybe 4 days a week during late July and August. The mountains and forests are close at hand but the high desert can be very seductive in its own way. People are friendly and the place seems very family oriented. The three cultures blend very well and nobody cares or notices that there might be 3 or 4 languages spoken besides English.

Old 09-23-2021, 01:35 PM

21 posts, read 20,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddesertfox View Post
Mr.Saturday Nite,
If you are still posting,I am going to speak from seven years of life experience in Hawaii,working in a very high profile job.I will avoid the "politically correct"answer and speak the truth.
There is a good bit of Rascism in that part of the World and it is anti-WHITE and growing....therefore your off hand remark about how friendly it is there, is an innocent mistake.
We left there for Phoenix and we could not be happier to be home.
mistake.
There is much anti-white rhetoric coming from the media - I was on another forum where they were talking about it. We don't have any problems with other races and actually go out of our way to be nicer to non-whites because there are powers that be obviously trying to start a race war.

That said - while we don't have a problem I've read of others a little wary of those who may have a problem with whites. Does anyone else have a concern about this? I read about the murders of the young white couple in TN - Channon Christian and Chris (forget last name) and other stories and I'm wondering if anyone factors that into relocation decisions.

IMO it's despicable to try to start a race issue where there is none. We live around multiple races and everyone treats others the way they treat them. I just wonder if this is practiced elsewhere. So your comment got me thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.