Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 05:06 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times

Advertisements

Coastal Southern California. he seasonal changes are there, but you really don't notice them that much.

In the 20 years that lived there, I was never effected by any earthquakes. Felt a lot of them, but they never ruined my day with the exception of a few broken dishes during the Northridge Quake. I had more damage done to my Long Island home and was without electricity for two weeks when we were hit by a relatively mild Hurricane (Gloria).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 06:57 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The closest you're going to get to that would be the coastal areas of the Carolinas. Wilmington, NC...Charleston, SC....Myrtle Beach/Conway, SC.
Mild four season climate overall with about 2 weeks of over 90 degree heat on average. Less intense the closer to the ocean you are. They also have a wonderful invention there called air-conditioning which helps one cope. Plenty of sunshine, 250 days or so. A threat of hurricanes but mathematically rare.
What about the "not an over-abundance of rain" thing?

Wilmington, NC: 56.95 inches of rain, 2.94 in April, the least rainiest month.

Charleston, SC: 46.39 inches of rain.

Myrtle Beach/Conway, SC: 53.27 inches of rain.

Source: The Weather Channel

Old 12-16-2009, 07:18 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,102,327 times
I love the climate in Flagstaff, but it does get below 10 in winter. I lived there a while and recall quite a few nights below zero with windchills MUCH lower. Also, summer in Flag is short and cool, with nighttime lows often in the 30s/low 40s...certainly not a typical summer climate.

I think mid-elevation areas in southern NM & southern AZ are going to get you closer than anywhere. Maybe also El Paso & San Antonio, TX.

I also like the coastal SE areas recommended like Wilmington, Charleston, Savannah, etc... It does get below 35 in those areas occasionally, though, and the threat of hurricanes is quite real.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:18 AM

8,040 posts, read 10,632,364 times
I don't know about coastal North Carolina, but here in Western North Carolina (Charlotte area, etc.), you can definitely forget about the outdoor summer "bliss" part. We have miserable summers, in my opinion, and they are long. The falls and springs are spectacular though. I could stand a little more snow in winter, we never get much to speak of, except in the mountains..

Old 12-16-2009, 08:14 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
I would say Bangor Maine

Fits the OP nicely

Old 12-16-2009, 08:26 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,778,850 times
I like interior New England weather. Hartford, Springfield, Worcester, it does get much colder than 35 but it is a dry cold so it doesn't feel as cold as it is. Also they get plenty of nice dry snow instead of cold rain. The other three seasons are perfect as per your specs.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:55 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I would say Bangor Maine

Fits the OP nicely
except for #1 on that list. Bangor drops well below 35 every winter and will go above 85 every summer (Although not for very long). Shoot Bangor has been below 35 degrees 60+ times since Oct 1st this year alone. Bangor, ME; monthly calender view

Don't get me wrong, I like the Bangor area, it just doesn't fit what the OP is asking for at all weather wise. It sounds like the OP is wanting a mild 3 season area and not a 4 season area at all. Even then I cannot think of anyplace that would fit the 35-85 temp range without going either way over or way under during parts of the year. It would almost have to be Coastal so it has the moderating effect of the ocean weather wise.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:46 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggggoat View Post
I'm looking for the US city that has the best four season weather, where one distinctly feels the changing of the seasons, but isn't exasperated by any, specifically, I would it define as:

1. Not hitting temperature extremes, no less than 35 in winter and (preferably) no hotter than the 85 in summer.

2. No over-abundance of rain

3. No serious natural disaster problems (hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, etc.)

4. Lots of sunshine, even in winter

5. Seeing the leaves fall in autumn, the trees go barren in winter, the flowers bloom in spring, and outdoor bliss throughout summer
What you are describing is essentially a Continental Subtropical Climate Zone.

So, broad brush, you are talking about Dixie and the Mid Atlantic.

Your rain and no hot summer criteria eliminate all but perhaps DelMarVa, southern most NJ and NoVA. Your hurricane criteria may eliminate certain portions of those right by the coast. That does not leave a whole lot.

I disagree with folks steering you out West. The places out here that have your "real" fall, barren trees, verdant spring criteria are all too cold (and perhaps too rainy) in the winter for you. And nowhere in coastal / lowland CA will you find the "real" fall, barren trees, etc. We don't have that biome here at all.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:49 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
But if there is it's probably somewhere around Dover, Delaware.
Bingo.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:52 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggggoat View Post
I'm looking for the US city that has the best four season weather, where one distinctly feels the changing of the seasons, but isn't exasperated by any, specifically, I would it define as:

1. Not hitting temperature extremes, no less than 35 in winter and (preferably) no hotter than the 85 in summer.

2. No over-abundance of rain

3. No serious natural disaster problems (hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, etc.)

4. Lots of sunshine, even in winter

5. Seeing the leaves fall in autumn, the trees go barren in winter, the flowers bloom in spring, and outdoor bliss throughout summer
Actually, the Buffalo area would be spot on, except for the getting below 35 part. They get a lot of sunshine, in spite of the winters and it fits everything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.