Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 03:27 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,538 times

Advertisements

In order to apply for benefits that I PAY FOR, I still don't see how $17 is too much to ask.

Vamos, spend the $17 or don't get the benefits, period. It's a simple choice to make, and it forces the applicant to do something they may not have done before....BE RESPONSIBLE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 07:40 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,461,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
While true, most of those were speculative and based on the same sort of law being passed in Florida.

The law actually exists now in Georgia.
I was referring to the 200+ posts in this thread: "Deal signs welfare drug-testing mandate".

Old 07-13-2012, 07:10 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Right, because that's what evil rich people (and Republicans) do all day long. They sit around and think of new ways to punish poor people for being poor. When that gets tiring, they take a break, count their money and listen to talk radio or watch Fox News, and then go back to thinking of new ways to punish poor people.
That's probably not true. But accumulating wealth at the record rate the top 1% is accumulating it ... with that wealth essentially being withheld from the greater community at large ... is hardly helping the economy or the community at large, is it?

How is that different from hurting everybody else? The super wealthy don't really create that many jobs (small businesses do a lot more of that), and many of them frankly don't produce that much except more shekels for their skekel pile. I fail to see how that is constructive.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
I was referring to the 200+ posts in this thread: "Deal signs welfare drug-testing mandate".
Yes, and?

Much of that discussion involved the impact of the similar law in Florida.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:42 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,538 times
Another $17 solution to this problem: $17 is the cost of a morning after pill. No prescription needed!

Old 07-14-2012, 08:09 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:
That's probably not true. But accumulating wealth at the record rate the top 1% is accumulating it ... with that wealth essentially being withheld from the greater community at large ... is hardly helping the economy or the community at large, is it?

How is that different from hurting everybody else? The super wealthy don't really create that many jobs (small businesses do a lot more of that), and many of them frankly don't produce that much except more shekels for their skekel pile. I fail to see how that is constructive.
So many misconceptions and way off topic, so not sure how to address. I'll just say that you need to look at who is paying the taxes and who is taking the taxes in the form of transfer payments and subsidies.

CBO | Average Federal Taxes by Income Group

National Taxpayers Union - Who Pays Income Taxes?

Too many Americans pay no federal income tax- Kingsport Times-News

45% of households owe no federal income tax for 2010 - Apr. 17, 2011

As far as wealth goes, the object is to increase your wealth and net worth. That's not a bad thing or something to be ashamed of or for which anyone needs to apologize. The fact that many Americans have chosen to go into debt or not do the things necessary to increase their net worth doesn't mean that we should penalize those who did.

It's not a zero sum game. You can grow the economy and everyone can increase their income and net worth. You are not obligated to share your wealth with the "greater community at large" although most people do through charitable contributions or philanthropy, as well as the wealth confiscated by the government at all levels.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:16 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,563,668 times
Well good luck to Georgia with this law since a similar law failed in Florida and yet it cost the state hundreds of thousands in refunds and found very few people who applied were substance abusers to begin with. The program was very costly to administer as well but what do you expect from retarded conservative lawmakers.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
So many misconceptions and way off topic, so not sure how to address. I'll just say that you need to look at who is paying the taxes and who is taking the taxes in the form of transfer payments and subsidies.
So defensive, and yet so deluded.

Sorry, not buying it.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:14 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
This is stupid. People who work are tested for drugs because they actually work and being under the influence of drugs while working, put simply, isn't good--not for that person, their co-workers, or their employer. It's not tied to getting money which is why volunteer firefighters are drug tested.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:49 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:
So defensive, and yet so deluded.
Not defensive or deluded. I challenge you to refute my factual assertions, which you cannot, since facts are just that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia