Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 02:42 PM

10 posts, read 53,532 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have moved all over NC and its official, we need a change. After looking over a map we decide on southeast Georgia. Thinking maybe Kingsland or St. Marys. We have two small children. What are the schools like? Crime? Are there plenty of things for young children to do? Is the area family oriented? We are also attempting to find jobs before we move. My husband has 30 years of construction experience and I have customer service/retail experience with a degree in paralegal. Are there jobs in the area or will we have a hard time finding one? Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 11:06 PM

324 posts, read 877,433 times
Schools in south east GA are horrible ! I'm not sure about jobs in construction but poverty is rampant.

Crime follows poverty.

There is nothing to do and the culture is ignorant
Unless your into small towns full of close minded people, you will be miserable.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:12 AM

541 posts, read 1,145,249 times
The St. Mary's/Kingsland area is a combination military/tourist town. Before the military moved in St.Marys was a quiet mill town. The paper mill is closed now.

I am not sure of job availability or school statistics. I think there are websites that give you school rankings.

If you are a family that likes the outdoors, there will be a lot to do and see. It's a 30 minute drive to FL beaches, Crooked River SP is located in St.Marys. They recently built an aquatic center with small waterpark. Cumberland Island National Seashore brings in a lot of tourists, and St.Marys is the 2nd oldest city in USA. St.Marys has very beautiful downtown area and park on the river.

HTH!

Old 04-12-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by League54 View Post
Schools in south east GA are horrible ! I'm not sure about jobs in construction but poverty is rampant.

Crime follows poverty.

There is nothing to do and the culture is ignorant
Unless your into small towns full of close minded people, you will be miserable.
Is the crime really that bad? I was able to see school reports and it looks like there are good and bad ones in the area.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:59 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cislga View Post
The St. Mary's/Kingsland area is a combination military/tourist town. Before the military moved in St.Marys was a quiet mill town. The paper mill is closed now.

I am not sure of job availability or school statistics. I think there are websites that give you school rankings.

If you are a family that likes the outdoors, there will be a lot to do and see. It's a 30 minute drive to FL beaches, Crooked River SP is located in St.Marys. They recently built an aquatic center with small waterpark. Cumberland Island National Seashore brings in a lot of tourists, and St.Marys is the 2nd oldest city in USA. St.Marys has very beautiful downtown area and park on the river.

HTH!
This about sums it up. St Marys is a charming little town. The opening of Kings Bay Submarine Base brought vast changes and rapid growth to the area.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:32 AM

Thanks for all the information. My husband and I are looking forward to visiting the area in the future. Are there any apartments to avoid or any that are recommended?

Old 05-09-2013, 02:38 PM

OK so we have planned a visit to St. Marys for the end of the month and are truly excited. We would like to go ahead and look for house or apartment rentals while we are there? Any reccomendations on who to use or not to use or anything? Thanks!

Old 11-17-2013, 08:38 AM

1 posts, read 5,676 times
Default relocating to southeast ga

Hi! Was wondering if you made the move and how it was going? My husband may be getting a transfer to the area. We live in fort lauderdale,Fl. We love it but miss the small town feel. Any info you have would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 11-18-2013, 11:48 AM

Yes we made the move on August 1, and so far I absolutely love it. I did move here from a Very small town though. So far everyone has been extremely nice & hospitable. Rent is about the same as what we were paying in N.C. This place definitely has plenty to do (for me at least, I did come from a much smaller town) and is all very close. Beaches, zoo, serious shopping and all are not far. About 40 min drive to Jacksonville depending on traffic. My children are attending Crooked River Elementary and I honestly love it! They are excelling so much more here than they ever did in N.C. The only thing I dislike is there isn't much 'country'. Everyone seems very compacted together and the few neighborhoods I've found that are more spaced out are way out if our price range. My husband got a job before moving here and is making more here so I've been doing the stay at home mom thing. I've had several job offers in the law field but didn't think it was worth the commute to Jacksonville. If you get a chance you should ride up and check it out one weekend. We attended the Rock Shrimp Festival several weeks ago and really enjoyed it. The law enforcement seem to really care about keeping this place safe. This is definitely a 'Military town' but I like it and enjoy listening to the National Anthem and Reveille every morning. Sorry I'm just rambling now lol. Overall I'm very pleased with our decision to move here. Any other questions just ask I will help to the best of my ability. (: good luck with your move!

Old 11-21-2013, 03:02 PM

22 posts, read 39,911 times
My husband and I are considering retiring in St. Simons or St. Mary's. We took a road trip a couple of years ago, we love it there =) You are within driving distance to Savannah and Florida. It was quiet and serene .. everyone was very friendly. I really cannot wait =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia