Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2016, 08:57 AM

76 posts, read 122,890 times

Advertisements

Hi:
We are retiring soon. Can anyone in St Marys GA tell us how the humidity is there thru the year? We want to be able to walk to stores, etc. Are there homes within the city that will allow you to be able to walk to the grocery store, bank, etc? Are folks friendly there? How are property taxes? I see homes for sale and some say there is no city tax so wondering how much more city taxes are? If anyone is retired in St Marys on the forum are you happy living in St Mary''s? Are there good medical facilities nearby? What is the average temp in summer-winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 09:18 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,275,704 times
not a walkable community or mixed use. most retirerees live a few miles out in a giant subdivision called Osprey Cove. You could get a golf cart to drive around there though. Grocery is a few miles away from there. It is near Jax which has Mayo clinic, only about 45 mins away. In fact like I said in the thread just a few more down, you may want to look at Amelia Island / Fernandina Becah near Jax in Florida. Lovely little downtown and beach. I love that place It's very humid from St Marys and points south. But that is easy, just put cereal in ziplocks and get used to cockroaches and scorpions in your house. Yes I have seen both. Check your shoes.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:08 PM

Hi:
Thanks so much for your response. Not so sure about the humidity and bugs you mentioned

Old 02-17-2016, 12:38 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,275,704 times
it's part of the coastal charm. 'specially them gnats. They get in your hair! You'll find them biting you a half hour after you get back inside. On the plus side, they go away in the hot summer months June-August.

Old 02-20-2016, 12:52 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,607,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyCat View Post
Hi:
We are retiring soon. Can anyone in St Marys GA tell us how the humidity is there thru the year? We want to be able to walk to stores, etc. Are there homes within the city that will allow you to be able to walk to the grocery store, bank, etc? Are folks friendly there? How are property taxes? I see homes for sale and some say there is no city tax so wondering how much more city taxes are? If anyone is retired in St Marys on the forum are you happy living in St Mary''s? Are there good medical facilities nearby? What is the average temp in summer-winter?
Honestly I would look at St. Augustine FL. vs. St. Mary's GA. It has all of the attractions, walk able downtown, and is right on the coast, this means lower temperatures and humity. The damn biting sand nats which we get on the GA. coast end at the St. Mary's/St. Johns' River area. Once you get south of Jacksonville the humidity and temp. along the coast during the summer is actually better than Ga. This is because of the gulf summer thunderstorms which come across Fl. everyday of the summer.

The advantages of FL. vs. GA.
1.) No state income tax.
2.) Lower sales tax. Ga. has a higher sales tax due to EPLOST taxes.
3.) Property taxes are also lower in most cases. This is the city tax, here in Savannah I have two property tax portions. City of Savannah which gets me for $1400 a year and Chatham county which is $3400. This is on a 350k house.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:31 AM

261 posts, read 380,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Honestly I would look at St. Augustine FL. vs. St. Mary's GA. It has all of the attractions, walk able downtown, and is right on the coast, this means lower temperatures and humity. The damn biting sand nats which we get on the GA. coast end at the St. Mary's/St. Johns' River area. Once you get south of Jacksonville the humidity and temp. along the coast during the summer is actually better than Ga. This is because of the gulf summer thunderstorms which come across Fl. everyday of the summer.

The advantages of FL. vs. GA.
1.) No state income tax.
2.) Lower sales tax. Ga. has a higher sales tax due to EPLOST taxes.
3.) Property taxes are also lower in most cases. This is the city tax, here in Savannah I have two property tax portions. City of Savannah which gets me for $1400 a year and Chatham county which is $3400. This is on a 350k house.
Property taxes in St. Augustine for a $350,000 house would be about $6,500 annually. More than Savannah.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Planner View Post
Property taxes in St. Augustine for a $350,000 house would be about $6,500 annually. More than Savannah.
I also have about 2k of income taxes and a 7% sales tax and sand gnats out the butt.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:55 AM

Also forgot the welcome to GA. Car tax which may be anything from a couple of hundred to several thousand dollars.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:57 PM

Default st. Mary's GA

Thanks so much to all that have replied. I think we will begin looking in the Florida cities you so kindly mentioned. Can anyone tell me why you still live in GA? And if you had a choice where would you go? I live in Riverside CA we get 100 degree temps in the summer but low humidity. I was really wondering how bad the humidity actually is on the east coast? Thanks again so much for your time

Old 03-13-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyCat View Post
Thanks so much to all that have replied. I think we will begin looking in the Florida cities you so kindly mentioned. Can anyone tell me why you still live in GA? And if you had a choice where would you go? I live in Riverside CA we get 100 degree temps in the summer but low humidity. I was really wondering how bad the humidity actually is on the east coast? Thanks again so much for your time

Mine is due to my wife's work situation, she is a tenured professor at the state college in Florida. I work for the federal government as a gs employee and work out of my house. I am changing jobs through a realignment and according to scuttlebutt picking up one or two pay grades and if that happens she is done teaching and I am heading for South Florida right around Boca in 3 years.

I also have a daughter at Emory and right now need the extra income until she is done with college.. Private college tuition is like buying a new car every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia