Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 01:46 PM

5 posts, read 3,843 times

Advertisements

Good Afternoon All,

I am considering moving to GA with my family at the of next year and wanted some input on which cities would be good for our son. I am from Bronx, NY, and have lived here all my life. Granted, I have stayed In Charlotte N.C, and Warner Robins, GA for like six months out of my life. I actually have family in Warner Robins. Just curious to hear peoples thoughts.

Thank you!

-E
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 02:47 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,417,068 times
Personally, since you're asking for opinions, *I* wouldn't bring kids into this state. Heck, I wouldn't suggest anyone move to this state, there are a Huge number of negatives and no where Near enough positives to counter-balance. Some people, myself included, simply don't have the choice...

But when you're thinking about kids, it's all in the education system and peer models. There are some acceptable schools in GA, but you're really hunt and seeking them without the foresight of known when one is going to move from good to mediocre. And the peer models for kids down here, not what I would call positive.

If you really have a choice, why aren't you doing the best you can for your kids and looking to one of the top 5 states for public school systems? Those are (5 to 1), Vermont, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Maryland and Massachusetts.. or at least that was the lineup a year or two ago. It's a handful of years that will make or break a good life for your kids.

Yes, I'm down on GA... to many years spent in other states to know that life and education can be (and is) better elsewhere. I'm here because my wife wanted to be near her folks as they got older. She feels obligated to care for them and is looking forward to getting away from GA just as soon as possible. Mind you, she was born here, raised here, sent to private schools here and left ASAP after that.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:16 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,933,278 times
Most of the schools in rural areas are terrible but that doesn't mean there aren't any good schools. The best are in the metro areas especially Atlanta. If you want a more city life (definitely smaller than NYC but larger than Charlotte), Atlanta offers plenty. Otherwise I think Augusta and Savannah offer the most. Really depends on what you're looking for and job possibilities. It's not quite as easy as it used to be as far as move then find a job.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:41 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,650,170 times
Columbus is always ranked high for raising a family.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:45 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Personally, since you're asking for opinions, *I* wouldn't bring kids into this state. Heck, I wouldn't suggest anyone move to this state, there are a Huge number of negatives and no where Near enough positives to counter-balance. Some people, myself included, simply don't have the choice...

But when you're thinking about kids, it's all in the education system and peer models. There are some acceptable schools in GA, but you're really hunt and seeking them without the foresight of known when one is going to move from good to mediocre. And the peer models for kids down here, not what I would call positive.

If you really have a choice, why aren't you doing the best you can for your kids and looking to one of the top 5 states for public school systems? Those are (5 to 1), Vermont, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Maryland and Massachusetts.. or at least that was the lineup a year or two ago. It's a handful of years that will make or break a good life for your kids.

Yes, I'm down on GA... to many years spent in other states to know that life and education can be (and is) better elsewhere. I'm here because my wife wanted to be near her folks as they got older. She feels obligated to care for them and is looking forward to getting away from GA just as soon as possible. Mind you, she was born here, raised here, sent to private schools here and left ASAP after that.
Yea, but you're in warm springs?

You do know Georgia has nice areas and you're just out in boonies, right?

Old 03-29-2016, 10:18 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Yea, but you're in warm springs?

You do know Georgia has nice areas and you're just out in boonies, right?
You're beating dead horse.

This guy lives in one of the worst, most economically and educationally depressed / oppressed counties in all of Georgia (Meriwether) and pretty much paints the whole state with his broad negative spiteful brush.

It gets old. But you're not going to change his mind. Believe me, I've tired.

It's the equivalent of somebody living in Fresno and hating all of California, or Bridgeport and hating all of Connecticut.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:18 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
OP, Georgia offers many very nice areas for families and non-family folk alike. Really depends on what sort of environment you're looking for. Big city, city but-not-so big, mountains, coast, etc.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
OP, Georgia offers many very nice areas for families and non-family folk alike. Really depends on what sort of environment you're looking for. Big city, city but-not-so big, mountains, coast, etc.

Well I know for a fact that I do not want to live in a "large city". So I know Atlanta is out of the picture. I guess for me, and my lady as well, we're just tired of the "fast life". My son is four years old, and I do know that a place like NYC is not good to raise children. I just came back from Centerville, GA visiting my sister and brother, and really did not want to come back. It was just good to be in a peaceful environment. I'm taking my girl and son back to GA in October, and plan to rent a car to drive to Savannah just to get a feel for it.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:

Thank you for your honest opinion. As far as the states you mentioned, nothing about them really interest us.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:42 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:

I'll second this. I live in Georgia and I hate it here. If it weren't for my husband's parents, we would be gone.

The racism and bigotry is ridiculous here, not to mention lack of decent education.

I live in Macon GA and work in Warner Robins, near to where you were visiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia