Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 10:32 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times

Advertisements

Having grown up in south Georgia and having lived in Atlanta and the North Georgia mountains, I highly recommend that you reconsider south Georgia and take a look at the north Georgian mountain communities.

Old 07-07-2021, 12:22 PM

189 posts, read 205,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
I live in Middle Georgia and spend a great deal of time in South Georgia and no, no reasonable people expect anyone to change. I am originally from southern Virginia which is "south light" , but there are definitely differences here. Nobody cares. It was stated best earlier that Southerners can be a bit defensive when people complain since there are many who assume we are all backwater hicks (which is funny because it is typically those who have never been to the south who say it) and Hollywood paints the south as a genteel aristocracy or a bunch of ignorant fools with little in between. That all being said, as long as you are friendly and don't complain in a condescending manner--all is well. Even small towns have a good mix of people.

For instance, if you complain you can't find a nice tapas or sushi restaurant with a specific type of green tea in xyz small town like you had at home....you will be found a bit annoying and if you ask, there just might be one in a nearby town. I get frustrated by the number of buffets and fried food, but there are plenty of alternatives. I just turn down invites to dinner at the country deep fried restaurant with a simple "no thanks". Many here love them and that is ok. It is all in how you say it. Just be nice and all is well.

As to the "some say people in the north are rude". I have found people in NJ and NY to be helpful and kind if you need something. Maybe not smiling and waving at strangers, but helpful. There are rude people everywhere, but most are pretty decent if you are respectful.

I love your response and it makes perfect sense what you saying. However it should not be my fault that they dont carry the tea I'm looking for lol Just kidding.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:34 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,254,714 times
If anyone reading this thread is considering moving to south Georgia (south of the gnat line which is around Perry) and are a yard or outside person, please visit in the summer and go for a slow stroll through a grassy area. The gnats are no joke. You can handle it or you will find it intolerable, but you cannot understand what I mean without experiencing it. I am ok with it, but have encountered many who are not. Just my two cents.

Old 07-12-2021, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
If anyone reading this thread is considering moving to south Georgia (south of the gnat line which is around Perry) and are a yard or outside person, please visit in the summer and go for a slow stroll through a grassy area. The gnats are no joke. You can handle it or you will find it intolerable, but you cannot understand what I mean without experiencing it. I am ok with it, but have encountered many who are not. Just my two cents.
Your two cents are worth a lot! No joke about the gnats. I remember growing up and attending outdoor bar-b-ques. We just pretended that the gnats on our BBQ chicken were flakes of black pepper...

Old 07-16-2021, 10:13 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
In my limited travel around Georgia I can’t see why anyone would prefer the southern part of Georgia over the mountains. Well except for the southern coastal regions

Old 07-16-2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
In my limited travel around Georgia I can’t see why anyone would prefer the southern part of Georgia over the mountains. Well except for the southern coastal regions
Having lived in both areas, I cannot agree with you more.

Old 07-16-2021, 05:22 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,222 times
Quote:
We are in Augusta and we love it. It’s a beautiful area. I know it isn’t southern Georgia, but it’s not in the mountains.

Old 07-16-2021, 08:57 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,605,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
We are in Augusta and we love it. It’s a beautiful area. I know it isn’t southern Georgia, but it’s not in the mountains.
Your in the Piedmont area, which are technically the foothills of the Appalachians. I'm in Forsyth County & my elevation is 800 feet higher than yours in Augusta. The elevation really makes a big difference in overall humidity.

Old 07-17-2021, 12:19 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,254,714 times
Quote:
I get what you are saying, but one reason could be cost of living. Land and housing are far cheaper on average in south Georgia. That is most likely due to supply and demand, but for a retiree on a fixed income it could make a big difference. The SS check is the same regardless of location. I know 3 different couples who have sold their metro Atlanta home in retirement and moved south. One bought a nice simple home on an acre for less than 80k a few years back and pocketed the rest of their proceeds from selling the Atlanta home to supplement retirement. They retired at 54....said if they stayed in Atlanta, they would have had to work into their 60s. Plus, they like to garden and fish and cared little about the cultural offerings of a city. Works for them.

There are not many good jobs in south Georgia, but if you bring your own job or money and are ok with small town life, you can live well for far less.

Old 07-17-2021, 05:33 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Your in the Piedmont area, which are technically the foothills of the Appalachians. I'm in Forsyth County & my elevation is 800 feet higher than yours in Augusta. The elevation really makes a big difference in overall humidity.
Yeah, my elevation is 300 feet. Forsyth is really 1100 feet elevation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia