Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2022, 06:03 PM

3,408 posts, read 1,901,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYoungProfessional View Post
When did we start considering Columbus “Southwest Georgia?”…..I’ve always known Columbus to be West-Central Georgia/The Chattahoochee Valley. Albany is literally the center of Southwest Ga and the hub of the region without question. Albeit Columbus is Southwest of Atlanta which is often the geographic reference point.
Okay, Young Professional, you and Born 2 Roll have corrected me---and in a nice & respectful way. I graduated from Valdosta State College (now University) and passed through Albany many times driving between Columbus and Valdosta. I frequently stopped in Albany to eat, and later spent overnights there on business. It's a nice town. Interestingly, Miller wanted to build its brewery originally in Columbus, but the powers-to-be in Columbus at that time wanted too much for the land that Miller wanted to build on. I agree that being left off the interstate system hurt Albany, AND Columbus, a lot! I think there's been some talk about a possible interstate from Columbus, through Albany to I-75. That would help both cities, ESPECIALLY Albany, the real industrial hub of extreme Southwest Georgia!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2022, 10:55 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,644,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
Calling Albany, GA "the industrial hub of extreme Southwest Georgia" is TOTALLY INACCURATE! Columbus, GA IS the industrial hub of extreme Southwest Georgia! The 2020 Census lists Columbus as the 2nd largest city in Georgia. Population 206,000 Several large companies are headquartered in Columbus, including Aflac insurance, Synovus banks, Total System Services (Global Payments Corp), W.C. Bradley (Charbroil and Masterbuilt Grills/Zebco products/Tiki Torches), Salt Life leisure wear, etc. Columbus is also home to Ft. Benning, and was recently mentioned in the March 2022 issue of Southern Living magazine as a great place to retire!

www.visitcolumbusga.com

36 Hours: Columbus, Ga. – Find your tourist interests in Columbus, Ga.

www.alwaysuptown.com
Columbus is definitely not Southwest Georgia. Never has been and never will be.

Old 04-30-2022, 06:31 PM

4,958 posts, read 2,234,923 times
I lived in Albany, GA for almost 50 years, relocating to Pensacola for 2 years.

Albany suffers from high crime, poverty, a poorly ranked school system, high property tax rates, and one of the worst healthcare systems in the US (Phoebe Putney).

A few years back, my Dad and late Mom (in their upper 70s at the time) were attacked in their fenced-in yard by a pit bull that jumped the fence. It killed one of my parent's dogs, bit mom, and my dad broke his hand trying to subdue it. When he had no other choice, he shot and killed it. The Albany Police Department threatened to charge my dad with animal cruelty and confiscated his pistol. They claimed he "had control" of the animal.

A few years later, both he and Mom were assaulted and robbed in their home. The police identified the individual chose not to press charges because she was in jail for another offense. I kid you not.

My wife worked in the health system for five years as an executive and came home crying almost every day about how Phoebe treated patients and staff. There is a video called "Do No Harm" that outlines the corruption of both the health system and city officials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4rK3OrveQI

Wherever you move, do not move to Albany, Georgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia