Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2022, 10:33 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,108,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
Augusta, Macon, and Columbus all have some cultural draws and accessible healthcare options. My mother moved here and lives off just Social Security in a paid off home--something that would have been impossible in Virginia.
Excellent point: the "Social Security rule," which is a terrific gauge of living costs. If older people on a fixed income can do OK (the avg. Soc. Sec. benefit will be $1,827 per month in 2023), it's a good place to consider. Overall cost of living, especially housing costs, are quite reasonable in Columbus, Macon, and Augusta. Savannah has become much more expensive now -- a magnet for retirees and younger folks. Savannah rents and home prices are already higher than the other 2nd-tier cities, and with the big S. Korean auto plant scheduled to open just south of Savannah in '24, the area will be plain expensive to live in. Metro Atlanta has been pricey for a while, with steep CoL increases far out into the Atlanta exurbs.

Old 11-04-2022, 03:24 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
A lot of good points here. I think much of Georgia outside of metro Atlanta and the coast doesn't get enough credit for a possible ideal retirement location for many. The cost of housing is lower away from Atlanta and the coast allowing one's retirement dollars to stretch further. Augusta, Macon, and Columbus all have some cultural draws and accessible healthcare options. My mother moved here and lives off just Social Security in a paid off home--something that would have been impossible in Virginia. Everyone's situation is different, but there are good options here for many.
It ain’t cheap to live on the coast anymore. Roughly as expensive as Atlanta. Referring to the Savannah area. Maybe it’s cheaper in Brunswick, Darien or Kingsland.

Old 11-06-2022, 11:16 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,255,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
It ain’t cheap to live on the coast anymore. Roughly as expensive as Atlanta. Referring to the Savannah area. Maybe it’s cheaper in Brunswick, Darien or Kingsland.
I agree. I left the coast and Savannah out intentionally. I love the coast, but it is expensive compared to the Fall Line cities. It seems you have to get west of 95 in both Savannah and Brunswick to see lower priced homes that aren't in decaying neighborhoods. I would argue the coast is more expensive than Atlanta unless you're retired since there aren't as many high income jobs on the coast. All of the transplants bringing in money from elsewhere makes it tough for those working in the area to compete for homes.

Old 05-12-2023, 10:00 AM

60 posts, read 106,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
I'm not entirely qualified here, as there is still a good bit of the state I haven't been to, so below is moreso some general thoughts:

Augusta - for the size of the city, I've never had a compelling reason to go?

Exurbs like Canton and Cumming - People think moving here will put them away from the "hustle and bustle," but instead I've found these places to be packed on weekends as they provide the retail for all the surrounding small towns. They seem busier than some of the first or second tier suburbs of Atlanta

Gainesville - The parts I saw were a dump!

John's Creek - not a bad place, but never understood the draw for making it an affluent area

Rome seemed UNDER-rated to me. Cute college town, close to mountains, really good sized downtown on the riverfront.

I agree about Johns creek, been leaving there for 8 years and its very overrated, old house stock. Also I don’t think schools are as good as it shows in numbers. Numbers are not show the reality of school environment to me

Old 05-15-2023, 05:23 PM

1,073 posts, read 621,930 times
Athens

Old 05-17-2023, 09:10 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,174,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBrat619 View Post
Definitely Disgusta. People have an unrealistic perception of the city based on what they see on The Masters golf coverage. Here's a clue. There is a reason they never show any of the city on tv outside the golf course. Bland suburban sprawl. A shell of a downtown. High crime. Just an ugly depressing town with a heavy lingering stench in the air. Even the main entry to the golf course, Washington Rd, is a post apocalyptic scene of zombie meth heads.
Your hatred for Augusta is disturbing.

Old 05-21-2023, 10:47 AM

9 posts, read 8,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
Your hatred for Augusta is disturbing.
You are right their hatred towards Augusta smh

Old 05-21-2023, 12:26 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,735,054 times
Dahlonega! Easily

I thought it was going to be more interesting.
What an underwhelming experience. The town there is clearly not interested in bringing in outside money. Clearly not interested in entertaining guests.

Helen, although maybe some think it’s cheesy & touristy… yeah yeah, whatever. Say what you will but the truth is, Dahlonega is a massive bore compared to Helen…
Or Cherokee, NC or Gatlingburg, TN for that matter.

Old 05-25-2023, 07:29 PM

297 posts, read 259,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterRattler View Post
Warner Robins is definitely the most overrated. Just a bunch strip malls and chain restaurants. No downtown, no charm, no character at all . The city totally lacks the infrastructure to handle the growth. But folks think it's so much better than Macon.
Agreed! While I understand WR has better schools, there’s nothing else about it that makes it more attractive than Macon personally. I feel like the shiny “new car” phase pretty much has worn off although people act as if Macon is “less-than” comparatively speaking. As for not having a downtown - I’ve actually seen a few articles where WR was promoted using pictures of Columbus’ downtown which was odd….then I remembered there isn’t one there at all to even reference and using a picture of a strip mall to represent the city wasn’t ideal. With that said, I don’t dislike WR but I can see why it could be considered overrated.

Old 05-27-2023, 04:06 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Bless your heart and be prepared to move again in a few years. There's nowhere you can run where you will not be found.
They're going to have to settle for Montana or Wyoming eventually...

I would rep you if I could Mutiny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia