Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2023, 01:29 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,096,883 times

Advertisements

What are your top cities in Georgia with the most potential to be much greater cities than they currently are? Why? And can it be accomplished?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2023, 02:21 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
The next most obvious in my opinion is Macon. It's centralized location on I-75 far enough south of Atlanta and existing footprint from more lucrative times gives it the head start needed. Next up is probably Columbus which seems to possess more progressive leadership than Augusta and is less splintered geographically by its border state (AL) than Augusta is with SC. In a smaller role Valdosta has always impressed me with its core development and has potential in my opinion for FL-like growth minus the varying issues involved. ** I realized I also left off Kingsland which due to its proximity to Jacksonville, holds considerable promise with its location on I-95.

Old 06-10-2023, 03:32 PM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Brunswick. On the Atlantic Ocean, near I-95, with low country scenery. All the ingredients for a mid-sized work-from-home city of the future.

Old 06-10-2023, 05:37 PM

562 posts, read 1,125,758 times
I agree with kyle19125 in that Macon is the city in GA that has the most potential to be a much bigger player than it is. Of course it’s central location in the state is a plus. It’s geographically closer to Atlanta and HJAIA than any of the other secondary cities. It’s the only one of the GA secondary cities to not only have two interstates, but also a bypass. Macon has some good urban bones ripe for development that some of the other secondaries outside of Savannah lack. Macon has a riverfront that could be developed at some point. Macon has one of the four Level 1 Trauma centers in GA. I’ve always told my relatives down in Macon that it has been the city that has done the least with the most. It has definitely grossly underperformed.

If I-14 ever gets fully built, it will definitely be a huge game changer for Augusta, Macon, and Columbus. Either way, both Columbus and Augusta, with the right leadership have great potential.

I also agree with Brunswick and Kingsland having great growth potential, being on the coast, combined with their proximity to Savannah and Jacksonville.

I’m not as bullish on Valdosta. Even though it has grown substantially over the last 40 years or so, I don’t really see a major influx there unless there is something like a major amusement park or attraction locating there.

Old 06-11-2023, 01:47 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
I haven’t been to all corners of GA.

But Rome, blue ridge, and Columbus come to mind.

Rome:
LCOL, river, 2 colleges, near mountains, cute downtown

Blue ridge:
Bad food and service, a downtown that lacks parking and really cute memorable shops, not as outdoorsy as Clayton, Helen, Blairsville

Columbus:
Nice river, close to Auburn, good Corp job base

Old 06-11-2023, 03:00 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,613,855 times
In no particular order:

1) Macon, proximity to Atlanta, major interstates, and centralized location gives an excellent opportunity for growth.

2) Savannah: Despite its recent growth, it has the potential to turn into a metro of 1 million plus, with the growth of the port.

3) Columbus: The most recent downtown developments could turn things around for the area. The downtown is absolutely gorgeous.

4) Dalton: Carpet Capital off of 75, in an excellent location to grow.

5) Rome: The charm and beauty, excellent downtown, but needs an interstate spur likes Gainesville to grow.

Old 06-11-2023, 07:09 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
What are your top cities in Georgia with the most potential to be much greater cities than they currently are? Why? And can it be accomplished?
Great thread topic.

Old 06-11-2023, 07:48 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Does Savannah have the outlying real estate or infill opportunities? I was under the impression its more or less tapped out.

Old 06-12-2023, 04:54 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Does Savannah have the outlying real estate or infill opportunities? I was under the impression its more or less tapped out.
Savannah's built out, so the growth is moving West to Pooler...higher ground too, which is chock full of distribution centers, and okay paying jobs. Cost of living in Pooler is much lower too. Pooler's growing fast.

Old 06-12-2023, 09:09 AM

64 posts, read 68,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
There is a good amount of infill development of mid-rise apartments etc in Savannah's midtown, downtown, and the eastern/western edges of downtown. In addition, Hutchinson Island (right across the river from downtown) is being developed. So there is a movement towards greater density, which Savannah already has above many other GA cities.

And of course West Chatham, Effingham and Bryan counties have the typical sprawl you'd find anywhere. With the Hyundai plant coming, suppliers are also opening factories in Bulloch and Liberty counties (already in the Savannah CSA).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia