Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2023, 11:18 AM

259 posts, read 165,906 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Atlanta, and have been for the past 20 years. I want to move 60-90 minutes away for a lower cost of living but still have some city or suburban amenities. My work is virtual so I will not need to commute anywhere. So far I am looking at Dalton, Athens, and Macon. My daughter just started college south of Atlanta in Clayton County (Morrow). What is everyone's opinions of the pros/cons on the above mentioned areas? I am moving for a lower cost of living when it comes to housing. I also want easy access to the interstate to travel between Chattanooga and Orlando.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2023, 12:09 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosborne39 View Post
I currently live in Atlanta, and have been for the past 20 years. I want to move 60-90 minutes away for a lower cost of living but still have some city or suburban amenities. My work is virtual so I will not need to commute anywhere. So far I am looking at Dalton, Athens, and Macon. My daughter just started college south of Atlanta in Clayton County (Morrow). What is everyone's opinions of the pros/cons on the above mentioned areas? I am moving for a lower cost of living when it comes to housing. I also want easy access to the interstate to travel between Chattanooga and Orlando.
Dalton has long been recognized as the “Carpet Capital of the World” because of the massive amount of carpet that has been and continues to be manufactured there.

Because of its status as one of the absolute leading carpet manufacturing hubs (if not the absolute leading manufacturing hubs) on the entire planet, Dalton is a very highly industrialized city that can do well economically when the national and international economies are doing well and can struggle mightily (and has struggled mightily) economically when the national and international economies are not doing so well.

Athens is one of the nation’s most famous college towns and much of the city’s existence is built around the University of Georgia’s flagship campus.

Macon is a historic city that historically has been the urban and logistical hub of Middle Georgia. Macon has much historical infrastructure but has struggled with high crime and poverty in the past, though the city appears to be heading in a positive direction (particularly in regards to the city’s fairly large historic downtown area).

If one has no preexisting personal preferences, Athens seems to be the best choice because of the smaller-city metropolitan amenities (shopping, restaurants, cultural amenities, etc.) that the city’s status as a well-known college town has generated in and attracted to the area.

Old 07-22-2023, 03:55 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Also, since Dalton is only about 30 miles from Chattanooga, one probably should consider looking in the exurban and outer-suburban communities closer to Chattanooga (on either the Georgia or Tennessee sides of the Chattanooga metro area), since Chattanooga is a great smaller metro with lots of urban and metropolitan amenities and numerous things to do for a metro area of its size.

Also, while Bibb County (Macon’s home county) does feature some upscale suburban neighborhoods (particularly to the northwest and west sides of Macon/Bibb County) many residents who move to Middle Georgia often move to Houston County (Warner Robins, Bonaire, Kathleen and Perry) if they seek a more suburban/exurban lifestyle or to Monroe or Jones counties if they may be seeking a more purely outer-exurban lifestyle.

Meanwhile, while Athens/Clarke County is the urban hub of the Athens metropolitan area, Oconee County is the preferred upscale suburban and exurban destination in the Athens area.

Old 07-23-2023, 05:22 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,254,714 times
Quote:
Macon would provide you some great positives. The city is the cultural center of Cental Georgia and the hub for shopping, dining, arts, sports, and medical care. If Macon doesn't have it, you are still close enough to Atlanta for day trips.

Speaking of proximity to Atlanta, the south side of the metro is very easily accessible from Macon. I often get to the airport from my home in 75 minutes (just not during rush hour of course). North Macon is only an hour to the airport. Morrow is also an easy drive.

You also stated you need to get to Orlando. Downtown Orlando is an easy albeit boring 5 hour drive from Macon. Chattanooga is about 3 hours if you time the drive through Atlanta correctly.

You will hear 2 big negative things about Macon...crime and schools. Crime is easily avoided based on where in town you live. You didn't mention needing schools so that opens up location even more as there are some great neighborhoods that are passed on by those wanting highly rated schools.

If you have specific questions, let us know. Good luck in your search.

Old 07-23-2023, 07:38 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
I might recommend Rome, ringgold, or Chattanooga itself

Old 07-23-2023, 11:22 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
I would suggest Warner-Robins, just south of Macon. It doesn't have the historic feel of Macon, nor the blight as it's primarily been a military town (Robins AFB) but is diverse enough to not be a one-note town. The crime rate is low and largely has a suburban feel with plenty of shopping/amenities.

Old 07-25-2023, 08:45 AM

259 posts, read 165,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
I might recommend Rome, ringgold, or Chattanooga itself

I was looking at Rome also due to it's proximity to Kennesaw and the north Atlanta suburbs off interstate 75. Chattanooga itself is very interesting and I enjoy my visits there

Old 07-25-2023, 08:58 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
Quote:
I was looking at Rome also due to it's proximity to Kennesaw and the north Atlanta suburbs off interstate 75. Chattanooga itself is very interesting and I enjoy my visits there
Yes, I was very much impressed by Rome for how little one hears about it. 2 colleges will continue to prop it up, its a good jumping off point for the mountains, it's got the river and trail system, and a super cute downtown

Chattanooga is certainly being discovered, and like all cities it has its pros and cons. The traffic on 24 is almost always a nightmare through downtown due to all the semis going to Knoxville and ATL. It straddles a timezone which is also annoying. But it's inexpensive, accessible, and has some beautiful scenery and outdoorsy culture.

Old 07-25-2023, 12:55 PM

7 posts, read 5,875 times
Well to be honest Macon is like a third world country and Dalton has a lot of crime so your best bet would be somewhere around Athens in my opinion... That could be any of the towns directly outside of Athens so Covington,, brazelton.. Very liberal area... Thing is everyone with a PhD that works are the UGA lives in all these towns so they have to be if you have like 10 PHDS. Even though people say it's not Atlanta. Let me tell you something. If anything it's more like Atlanta. Its like all of the things that make Atlanta what it is in one big area. Anyone that tells you that just doesn't get out & doesn't like know what's going on in the world. & There are two billion dollar projects being built in a very reasonable distance. Rivian auto plant & rowen research park. That's just it. Just whatever you do be yourself & don't carry some fake identity with you wherever you go because alot of people do that. Don't be scared to tell people where your are from. You'd be surprised... I met alot of transplants from new England & the west coast recently like that & would have never known. My mom's side are also transplants who's parents Retired in Florida. My dad's from dekalb county & works in the whole southeast region. & Beyond. I know what I'm talking about. If you argue you're just wrong. No offense. I know good people from all those places but I'm just saying. & No Athens isn't perfect,, go figure,, it's the earth.

Old 07-25-2023, 08:01 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,254,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecitykid1 View Post
Well to be honest Macon is like a third world country
I have lived in Macon nearly 20 years. I respect disagreement and will discuss negatives as all places have them, but you have 5 posts and one of them is calling my city 3rd World? You really should travel to a third world country... Unfair characterizations are unnecessary to make a point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia