Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2023, 11:52 AM

5,966 posts, read 3,706,857 times

Advertisements

Which would you choose for an active retiree to live in if money weren't a concern? And why?

Comparisons and comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2023, 06:50 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,613,855 times
Rome would be my choice. It's the largest city of the three with better shopping and restaurants. There's also a great healthcare networking system in Rome. I can't forget the scenery and historic look of the city, especially downtown.

LaGrange and Carrollton benefits from nearby interstates, but after visiting each mentioned city, I would choose Rome.

Old 08-11-2023, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Rome would be my choice. It's the largest city of the three with better shopping and restaurants. There's also a great healthcare networking system in Rome. I can't forget the scenery and historic look of the city, especially downtown.

LaGrange and Carrollton benefits from nearby interstates, but after visiting each mentioned city, I would choose Rome.
Thank you! I appreciate your comments. Interesting viewpoints.

Old 08-12-2023, 08:31 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
Rome for sure. Without a doubt

Old 08-14-2023, 10:31 PM

689 posts, read 637,966 times
Chas863,

I have no input on the cities themselves but I am wondering what is important to you as an "active retiree." Even if money is not a concern, what other things are important to you and how close do they need to be?

Just a thought.

Old 08-15-2023, 07:08 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Haven’t lived in Lagrange or Rome, but I have lived in Carrollton since 1982. It has some nice features, an 18 mile paved walking/bike trail that circles the city. Has a very good hospital system,Tanner, growing daily. I would pick Lagrange or Rome just because they are located further from Atlanta and its influence, probably Lagrange, because its smaller.

Old 08-15-2023, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancuriosity View Post
Chas863,

I have no input on the cities themselves but I am wondering what is important to you as an "active retiree." Even if money is not a concern, what other things are important to you and how close do they need to be?

Just a thought.
Here are a few activities that interest me:

Golf

Pickleball

Swimming

Walking/Hiking

Dancing

Physical Workout Facility as in Nautilus Machines, Free Weights, etc.

Dining

As to "how close they need to be", the closer the better, but I wouldn't object to having to drive 5 to 10 minutes for a few of these activities. In my present Florida home, I can ride my golf cart on the community streets to any of these activities in 6 minutes or less (most within 3 minutes).

Old 08-15-2023, 11:33 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times
I used to live somewhat near LaGrange, GA, not far down I-85 in Opelika, AL. I worked in West Point, GA and went to LaGrange countless times.

To the OP, based on the post #7 above, you might think about Peachtree City GA. Yes, it is pretty close to Atlanta, but they have the largest network of golf cart (or bicycle) paths that you will find outside of somewhere in FL or perhaps a "sun city" kind of retirement community. Many seniors live there and use a golf cart for a high percentage of shopping or medical appointment type errands. Lots of golf and all the other activities you mention.

Old 08-15-2023, 01:40 PM

703 posts, read 934,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Here are a few activities that interest me:

Golf

Pickleball

Swimming

Walking/Hiking

Dancing

Physical Workout Facility as in Nautilus Machines, Free Weights, etc.

Dining

As to "how close they need to be", the closer the better, but I wouldn't object to having to drive 5 to 10 minutes for a few of these activities. In my present Florida home, I can ride my golf cart on the community streets to any of these activities in 6 minutes or less (most within 3 minutes).
Based upon that list, I would suggest Rome. You may also want to check out Ellijay and Hiawassee also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia