Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 08:46 PM

18 posts, read 48,864 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm looking for information about the areas surrounding Warner Robins. We'll be relocating there next year courtesy of the USAF. We're currently located in the Florida Panhandle so we pretty much know what to expect weather wise. Some of our biggest concerns are safety and schools. Also, we're looking for something a little bit more country rather than city. Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thank you all in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 11:46 PM

5 posts, read 56,688 times
Default I can tell you all you need to know.

First off let me tell you that I have lived in this area for 15 years. I am an air force brat that came from Omaha. My father now lives in Crestview Fl and works on EGLIN AFB. So, I know alittle about both....From the pan handle you are looking at a 5 hour drive.
Warner robins in the fastest growing city in GA. The houses are pretty cheap for what you get and the taxes are good. Macon is about 15 minuites north of Robins AFB. The schools in Warner Robins are great. let me know specificaly what you are interedted in.

Moderator cut: Removed

Last edited by xxman777; 01-28-2007 at 06:58 AM.. Reason: Sorry no advertising outside of the classifieds

Old 01-28-2007, 12:30 PM

What a small world! I currently live in Crestview and I'm also an Air Force brat. My S/O is currently stationed at Eglin but is on a year long deployment so it's kind of up to me to do some research while he's gone. We're pretty excited about moving up there. We've visited the area twice and just drove around. We don't want to live in base housing and are trying to get an idea about what area we want to relocate to. We've been told that Perry and Cochran are pretty nice areas but other than that, we're kind of at a loss. We've been told to stay away from the Northern part of the county near Macon.

We're trying to steer clear of "cookie cutter" subdivisions. If you've visited the Crestview/Eglin area here in Florida, you probably know what I'm talking about. I don't want to look out my window and be able to see what's going on in my neighbors kitchen. My S/O would like something with some land but I'd like it to not be too far away since he'll be commuting to Robins AFB.

I have two kids so schools and safety are important for me. I've read good things about the schools in Houston County but not too much about the surrounding counties. I've also read that the Warner Robins area has a lower crime rate compared to Macon.

I really appreciate any information you can give me. Thank you!

Old 01-28-2007, 02:37 PM

5 posts, read 56,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk626 View Post
What a small world! I currently live in Crestview and I'm also an Air Force brat. My S/O is currently stationed at Eglin but is on a year long deployment so it's kind of up to me to do some research while he's gone. We're pretty excited about moving up there. We've visited the area twice and just drove around. We don't want to live in base housing and are trying to get an idea about what area we want to relocate to. We've been told that Perry and Cochran are pretty nice areas but other than that, we're kind of at a loss. We've been told to stay away from the Northern part of the county near Macon.

We're trying to steer clear of "cookie cutter" subdivisions. If you've visited the Crestview/Eglin area here in Florida, you probably know what I'm talking about. I don't want to look out my window and be able to see what's going on in my neighbors kitchen. My S/O would like something with some land but I'd like it to not be too far away since he'll be commuting to Robins AFB.

I have two kids so schools and safety are important for me. I've read good things about the schools in Houston County but not too much about the surrounding counties. I've also read that the Warner Robins area has a lower crime rate compared to Macon.

I really appreciate any information you can give me. Thank you!
First off stay as far away from Cochran as you possibly can. That is a dead town and getting deader by the minuite. Perry is nice about a 20 minuite drive to the base.
I would stay out of the city of Macon. However I would suggest that you move to Bibb county. Just far enogh from macon to enjoy everything. Crime in Macon is terrible crime in Bibb county is low. I live probaly 10-15 minuites from the base. There are allot of AF familes in the neighborhood.....
You will love the home prices up here compard to there. Here you can get a great house 2,000 square feet for under $200,000 easily. If you need anything else please let me know.

Mark

BTW my father lives in Silver Oaks. Ever heeard of it.

Old 01-28-2007, 08:34 PM

I've never heard of Silver Oaks. It may be one of the newer subdivisions. I've lived in Crestview for roughly 20 years and it's hard to keep up with how fast it's growing.

Are there any other towns you suggest we might look into? We did pick up some of those real estate guides when we were up there last and are very pleased with the how far your money can go in that area compared to the Florida Gulf Coast! Hopefully the prices won't change too much between now and next year.

Thanks again!

Old 01-29-2007, 08:18 AM
GP2

81 posts, read 999,569 times
I would suggest staying out of Bibb County alltogether. The city of Macon is in dire straights financially and the county will be the one to bail them out....huge strain and probably increased taxes coming to the county.
Plus, the majority of Macon and Bibb county schools have serious issues.
I would suggest the Bonaire/Kathleen area of Houston county.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:19 PM

Yeah we've been told to stay far away from Macon. I've heard good things about Bonaire and Kathleen but I'm afraid that they're full of nothing but subdivisions with as many houses crammed as close together as possible. My S/O grew up on a farm up in New York and so both of us would really like a house with a little acreage. He would really like something with a lot of woodsy areas around.

I've heard so many good things about Houston County (especially the schools) that I think we're just going to focus on something in that area.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:38 PM

1 posts, read 5,326 times
Glad you're already used to the summer weather. I suggest you just drive around town and see for yourself what the different neighborhoods are like. Obviously the northside of town is the older part, but there are several new subdivisions north and south. Even though I'm a graduate of Warner Robins High, (2 time national high school football champions, 4 time state), all 3 of our schools are good. You can check the test ratings and see they all score pretty close together. Zonig keeps the student mix from getting too white or black at any one school. Rents should be reasonable comapred to florida. 20 yr old home about 1800 sq ft rents for around 800, depending on neighborhood. If you intend to buy, make sure you look at where the water will go when it rains! If buying new, negotiate; there are A LOT of new homes that have been on the market for awhile and you should be able to find a desperate builder pretty easy by the summer. Macon has a really nice downtown; we consider it our downtown sinced we really dont have one. Lots of nice upscale eating places. What make s WR pretty nice is that so many people here are from somewhere else. Good luck.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:47 AM
GP2

81 posts, read 999,569 times
The Bonaire and Kathleen area has lots of acreage to buy from. They havent been built up like some other parts of Houston county has....yes, you do have subdivisions, but there is also alot of raw land left.
The zoning for schools SUCKS though...every four years they change it up...Example is..I`m raising a sister in law...she moved in with us and was at Houston County High, about a mile from our home....the year after she moved in with us, it was a "change" year, so just as she gets adjusted, BAM!! They send her to Warner Robins High....which I didnt like. THe only way to get around it is to lie or go to work for the BOE.....she`s out now, but we have 3 of our own that we still have to deal with that mess on. They establish friends and then BAM!!!! That truly is the only bad thing I can say about Houston county.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:41 PM

511 posts, read 2,476,541 times
For all the people who have a beef to pick Macon, GA you should understand that Macon does not care, or take effect to the insults from surroundings SMALLER cities. The Hate on Macon has grew hughely as surrounding cities take advantage of Macon's vital period. Flathead I commend you for your efforts not to insult Macon in your thread but I will not stand for insult and as for everyone else you should refocus this anger onto fixing your city's overcrowding, lack of good transportation, and the crime rate in the schools of Houston County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia