Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 10:55 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,811,715 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!! I am new to this forum, but not to city-data! Just wanted to introduce myself.

On Mother's Day, our daughter & SIL presented us with a picture of an ultrasound. We are totally thrilled about this! Tonight we had the gender reveal, and IT'S A BOY!!! The due date is 12/15. Interestingly, my due date for my daughter was 12/14. She arrived on Thanksgiving! My birthday is also close to the due date, so maybe I'll be getting a precious grandbaby for my birthday!

This is our first grandbaby. Our son is in a serious relationship with a woman who has a 3-year-old. He's pretty much our "instant grandkid!" It looks like they might be heading to the altar. I have told both of them that we will treat J as our grandchild just like we will this new baby. I remember when I was young, my uncle married a woman who had 2 kids. He adopted them and there was never anything "step" about it. My grandmother, however, doted on the daughter they had together. Every Christmas was awkward. I'm worried my mother might be a little like that with J. She has treated my sister's stepsons differently, but then again, they were college age when my sis & BIL married.

I'm rambling. Sorry! It's been an exciting night.

I guess, what I really want to ask are:

1) Do you have any tips for new grandparents? What kinds of things do you keep at your house? (We have a pack-n-play to keep here.) My mother always kept diapers, wipes and bath supplies. I used to sell Tupperware when my kids were small, so I probably have some of their toys packed away!

2) If you have a step grandchild, how do you handle that? I know that treating J as a grandson will be good for him. We are careful not to "outdo" the others. It's not a competition to see which grandparents love him the most! Do you notice any jealousy from the bio grandchildren (or their parents)? My daughter and I had a convo when we first found out about J. I told her that for all intents and purposes, he will be our grandson... no step about it. She agreed. I want to make sure that there aren't any feelings of resentment from the bio family when there's a step involved. (I'm not even sure if I'm using the correct words.)

and finally,

3) I have some serious mobility problems. I've been dealing with this stuff for 15 years, but the hips and legs have decided to just stop working over the past two years. I currently walk with a cane and sometimes have to use my handicap placard. (If there's a vacant spot NEXT to a handicap spot, I'll park there and leave the handicap spot available for someone who might need it more. I don't drive very much.I can get down on the floor if I have to, but getting up is a challenge. My son & GF will not ask me to babysit unless my husband is home. They understand my troubles. My daughter is a bit self-centered, so I'm not sure if she even realizes how bad things have gotten. I am worried about my ability to walk with a baby, and I certainly won't be able to pick him up as he grows. Are any of you disabled or mobility challenged? If so, how do you manage to help out? I'm a little bummed at the fact that I won't be the cool or fun grandmom. The last thing I want to hear is, "Don't bother Grandmom. She's not feeling well." :'(

So, that's where I am. Looking forward to posting more in here and meeting you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 11:31 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,597,574 times
Congratulations! We just got our first grand, a darling boy, this spring. I also have mobility problems like yours. So far I simply play with him on the couch while his mom or my son holds him. I know I could not hold him and walk around, but can hold him sitting down. There isn't much I can do to help out, but it doesn't seem to matter much as my DIL is an excellent mother and my son is an excellent daddy.

We do try to have meals here when they visit because restaurants aren't that great for playing with a baby. We have a few toys here and baby wipes, but that's about all. We did purchase several of the more expensive items they selected for baby at their home. I had a mother who was inclined to take over, so I guess I'm just being cautious in that regard.

I know I won't be able to do some of the fun things with him, but I will be able to read to him & teach him to play some musical instruments if he's interested. All we can do is our best I guess!

A lot of it depends on the personality of the grand as they grow I think. We've already had so much fun watching him grow and now start giggling at everything. I just trust that he'll know I love him and love me back before he even realizes I use a cane.

Have fun preparing for your precious grand bundle! It's wonderful!

Old 08-03-2015, 08:37 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,213,019 times
Congrats to you!

When my daughter was a baby/toddler/preschooler my mother (her grandmother) was almost totally bedridden. It certainly did not effect the love that they felt for each other.

Even though my daughter had just turned five years old when her grandmother died she still has many wonderful memories of their time together. My mother read books to her, told her stories, played games & played with toys with her.

Just because her grandmother couldn't walk and do other stereotypic "fun" grandma things it never bothered my daughter. In fact, it may be one of the reasons that my daughter started volunteering at a young age and chose to be in a "helping profession".

Old 08-03-2015, 09:16 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,811,715 times
Thank you for your encouragement! I'm finding that I'm not alone, and that helps. I loved reading to my kids when they were small, so I plan to do lots of that! I had lots of time with J over the weekend, and it warmed my heart to hear, "Hey! It's YOU!" when I would hobble into the room! He's a sweetie and loves to read. I think I'm going to enjoy this Grandmom gig!

Old 08-10-2015, 07:44 PM

576 posts, read 995,701 times
Hi rabbitsong. I just wanted to drop in and tell you that a grandchild, is the best thing ever! I have only one, a grand daughter, she and her parents live just down the street from us, and I spend all the time I can with her. She is the love of my life, and will turn 2 in a few weeks. Life hasn't been the same since she came on the scene, for me or for her papa (my husband) we love her dearly.

We have taken her on so many adventures, (zoo, nature walks, family trips, beach, parks, farmer's markets, malls, you name it) and more to come. I don't have the mobility issues you describe, but I do tire more easily at this age, than I did when I raised kids.

There is just nothing like the pleasure of experiencing life and it's wonders big and small, through the eyes of a child you love, but .. not being encumbered with the responsibility of that child's daily care. We are so very fortunate that my daughter (grand daughter's mommy) and her husband are so willing to share her with us as much as they do. Daughter and her husband are over quite a bit, so we see grand-daughter, almost daily.

I want this to be her 2nd home, and so far, that plan is working just great.

I have always kept the necessities here, from even before she was born, knowing I wanted her to be able to be here as much as possible. I even had my own bottles when she was bottle fed. I would buy baby food for here when she graduated to that stage, and now that baby food isn't a factor, I buy things at the grocery store on purpose, things I know she'll want, juices/fruits (she loves fruit) small veggies in individual servings, etc. I keep diapers/wipes/powder/baby shampoo here, .. I keep baby Tylenol, baby Orajel on hand. Basically anything her mom has for her at home, she has here also. That even includes changes of clothes if necessary. Consignment stores are my favorite. I don't see a reason to splurge on brand new clothes, when it's just for hanging out w/nanna and papa here or going on a new adventure. Church clothes, yes, sometimes I buy brand new, shoes, brand new. But regular everyday clothes, consignment stores! Love em.

Craigslist/Garage Sales, for toys. She has a multitude of toys here to play with, all bought via consignment, or Craigslist.

As to what goes on as to the mother, .. I have always allowed her to take the lead in raising her own child. I was given that latitude and appreciated it, so I pass it on. Fortunately, my daughter and I are close, and so in a lot of things, thus far, she asks my opinion. Sometimes I simply don't remember, like when she asked me recently, about potty training, and what to do at nap time, and/or at night when they're sleeping. I simply didn't remember how I handled that. But she went to google and talked to folks, and I guess what's done is, diapers at naptime and bedtime. Makes sense.

You sound so excited, and that's about how I was when it was announced. My daughter and I had the best time in the world decorating the baby nursery and would sit and hold the clothes and dream of who she will be, what she'll look like, her personality, all of it. And she's been here for almost 2 years now, and it's all, everything about it, better than I ever dreamed it could be. I love being a nanna.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:10 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,507,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitsong View Post
Are any of you disabled or mobility challenged? If so, how do you manage to help out? I'm a little bummed at the fact that I won't be the cool or fun grandmom. The last thing I want to hear is, "Don't bother Grandmom. She's not feeling well." :'(
Congratulations on your first (and second, looks like)! May you have many more! I have SIX!

3 years ago, just when I retired, I had 2 new knees 'installed', 8 weeks apart. I cannot say that I am disabled in any way...it was much worse before the new knees, believe me! If anything, I am grateful that they now have artificial joints, as they certainly give you a new lease on life!

While my grandkids 'know' I had the surgery, none of them really thinks much about it now, as I have become very active once again, and they all know me as grandpa who takes them fishing and camping, shows them how to cook on a grill or a campfire, and takes them riding in my truck when I'm plowing a mountain of snow. I think that latter activity is what they like the most - "Snow-zilla" is what they call it.

Kids just like to have fun. Make their visits fun, and they will love to come to see you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents