Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2018, 11:56 AM

156 posts, read 440,677 times

Advertisements

Trying to make a long story short. Grandma lives with me and will be giving her adult grandson and his wife a Christmas present this year. Grandma hasn't given him one in over four years because there was no contact from him until he was engaged to his now wife. So Grandma will be giving a present to their son (15 months old) for the first time. But, I just found out that the grandson will be bringing his step-son over and I'm not sure if he needs to be given a gift or not. Grandma has never met this boy. She's seen the great grandson maybe four times, but never the step great-grandson. Everyone else will be getting presents from Grandma. But Grandma will only be getting presents from her daughter as none of the (adult) grandkids give her anything. Should we pick up something for the step great-grandson or not (he's 4 or 5)?

In case it matters, it would not even occur to Grandma to buy anything for either of the great-grandsons. I bought something for the one and just put Grandma's name on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 12:53 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Can Grandma afford it?

Old 12-26-2018, 08:08 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
I personally would never let one child go without a gift when all the other's received gifts. A 4yo doesn't understand "step" anything and isn't responsible for it anyway.

Old 12-26-2018, 08:10 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I personally would never let one child go without a gift when all the other's received gifts. A 4yo doesn't understand "step" anything and isn't responsible for it anyway.
I agree. An age-appropriate toy can be had for a couple of dollars at the grocery store.

Old 12-26-2018, 08:42 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
She should give gifts to both kids, if she's giving to one.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:49 PM

6,866 posts, read 4,863,645 times
Either both kids should get a present or neither one should. I don't see why she would be giving the adult grandson a present either. No presents for four years....why start back up again? He's an adult and apparently not particularly close to her.

Old 02-21-2019, 06:11 AM

82 posts, read 78,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Either both kids should get a present or neither one should.
Absolutely

Quote:
I don't see why she would be giving the adult grandson a present either. No presents for four years....why start back up again? He's an adult and apparently not particularly close to her.
Because Christmas is a time of "giving." It's a spirit of the season thing. In some really large families, I can imagine agreements to cut back on some of the gift exchanges. Even then, it's still easy to give a small gift. "It's the thought that counts."

Then again

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej1 View Post
But Grandma will only be getting presents from her daughter as none of the (adult) grandkids give her anything. Should we pick up something for the step great-grandson or not (he's 4 or 5)?

In case it matters, it would not even occur to Grandma to buy anything for either of the great-grandsons. I bought something for the one and just put Grandma's name on it.

Adult grandkids don't have even a small present for their grandmother? It wouldn't occur to a great-grandmother to get anything for the kids? I'm amazed there is even a consideration to offer one child present and deny another. We have given presents to kids we didn't know (friend of a relative who tagged along on Christmas - on Christmas, everyone is invited and no one is left out).

This isn't a putdown of the OP. It just surprises me how different families can celebrate Christmas.

Old 02-27-2019, 12:41 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
It'd cost less than 10 bucks to get a coloring book and a nice set of crayons. Just sayin. I would've killed, at that age, for a nice set of crayons. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents