Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 09:15 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I'm going to support Grandma #1. A five year old boy doesn't need his nails painted because he, his parents, or Grandma #2 thinks it's cute. At his age it has nothing to do with gay, straight, or other so let's leave that out of the discussion. That's just a red herring. The real issue is setting him up to be bullied. There are enough issues with bullying going on that he doesn't need grandma #2 paining a big "bully me please" target on him.
I don't agree, at all. People get bullied for being odd. In many, many areas it's not really considered odd anymore for boys to paint their nails, wear earrings, dye their hair funky colors, wear eyeliner or many of the other things that were once strictly for girls. I think his parents would know far more about the potential for bullying from classmates (and other children) than the grandparent.
Little kids especially like 'pretty' things, but the boys are typically 'bullied' out of that by the 'concerned' adults in their live, not by their peers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2020, 09:14 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,347,835 times
The grandson, being five, probably just thinks having colored nails is cool. Maybe he'd like psychedelic neon colors instead of the "girly" shades?

My youngest grandson (now 4) is fascinated by my makeup (granted his mother doesn't wear it frequently) and watching me apply it when I stay at his house. He went through a stage when he asked to have some lip gloss, blusher, and eye shadow on too, and I obliged him. He'd look at himself in the mirror for a while, then want it washed off. He's since outgrown wanting to wear it, but he still loves examining my lipsticks, blushers, etc and sorting them by colors. He's otherwise "all boy".

Who knows, he could grow up to be another Max Factor.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 12-31-2020 at 09:23 AM..

Old 12-31-2020, 02:35 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,857,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
The grandson, being five, probably just thinks having colored nails is cool. Maybe he'd like psychedelic neon colors instead of the "girly" shades?

My youngest grandson (now 4) is fascinated by my makeup (granted his mother doesn't wear it frequently) and watching me apply it when I stay at his house. He went through a stage when he asked to have some lip gloss, blusher, and eye shadow on too, and I obliged him. He'd look at himself in the mirror for a while, then want it washed off. He's since outgrown wanting to wear it, but he still loves examining my lipsticks, blushers, etc and sorting them by colors. He's otherwise "all boy".

Who knows, he could grow up to be another Max Factor.
Haha, I'm female, but I feel the same way about makeup, especially eyeshadows. I don't like wearing much makeup on my own face, but the palettes are SO PRETTY. They make me want to do an art project or something.

Old 12-31-2020, 07:58 PM

15,526 posts, read 10,492,988 times
What kind of moron paints a little kid's nails? Nail polish contains toxins that aren't good for children. I would probably remove it. If they noticed and asked, I'd gently explain to them it's not healthy.

Old 12-31-2020, 08:11 PM

48 posts, read 39,239 times
Well Grandma #1 bought the little boy packs of dinosaur and bug nail decals. She is convincing him that these are better than pink or mauve nails and apparently her ploy is working. Grandma #1 thinks the other Grandma #2 was out to 'get her goat' and upset her as she phrased it. Battle of the Grandmas....

Last edited by Mrs. Golightly; 12-31-2020 at 08:42 PM..

Old 01-04-2021, 05:58 AM

731 posts, read 767,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Golightly View Post
Well Grandma #1 bought the little boy packs of dinosaur and bug nail decals. She is convincing him that these are better than pink or mauve nails and apparently her ploy is working. Grandma #1 thinks the other Grandma #2 was out to 'get her goat' and upset her as she phrased it. Battle of the Grandmas....
So Grandma #1 is pushing dinosaur and bug nail decals and trying to convince him of something. I thought she "liked" painting his nails. LOL She sounds like a real Marie Barone. No grandma should be pushing anything! She sounds like a real piece of work.

I've seen Battle of the Grandmas in a few families I know. Unfortunately in these families there are no "winners".

Old 01-04-2021, 06:53 AM

36,413 posts, read 16,023,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Golightly View Post
I think the other grandma just does the boy's nails when she does his sister's nails. He asked her to do it and now it has become a regular thing apparently.
Bingo, this is it. His sister is getting something special and he wants it too, not even realizing what that might mean to the other kids or grown ups.

Old 01-04-2021, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtondo View Post
So Grandma #1 is pushing dinosaur and bug nail decals and trying to convince him of something. I thought she "liked" painting his nails. LOL She sounds like a real Marie Barone. No grandma should be pushing anything! She sounds like a real piece of work.

I've seen Battle of the Grandmas in a few families I know. Unfortunately in these families there are no "winners".
I got the grandmas #1, #2 confused. My mother who is leery of him going around with the pink/red painted nails bought the bug and dinosaur nail decals kind of as presenting an alternative.

Old 01-04-2021, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
Bingo, this is it. His sister is getting something special and he wants it too, not even realizing what that might mean to the other kids or grown ups.
This is really all it is, I think. He just wants to join in the group/shared activity with the other grandma and sister.

Old 01-04-2021, 03:52 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,942,265 times
Good Lord....what is it with these adults who want to blur lines between the sexes? Masculine men do not wear pink/red nail polish. How about raising boys to be men and girls to be women? How/when did that become so passe?

If the kid wants his nails painted to join in the "fun" when Grandma paints his sisters, how about using a clear polish? Nothing un-masculine about nicely manicured nails on a male. Then Grandma 1 and the kid enjoy the nail painting and Grandma 2 won't have to worry about the kid being teased or turned into a transgender candidate.

But pink/red nails on a young boy? No. Just No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents