Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 12:09 PM

9,115 posts, read 6,160,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Grandparents should be able to spoil their grandkids and if 'waking them from a nap' is a deal breaker for you that is just sad IMO. I use to wake my own kids from a nap if I wanted to play with them and it doesn't seem to have harmed them.

I think grandparents should generally do what the parents ask but the grandparents have done this before and they should be given leeway.
You mean you interrupted your own nap and woke up the baby?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2021, 10:55 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,567,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
As a mom and grandma, I just think this is so weird. You woke your own kids up to play with them? Bizarre.
I don't think it's bizarre at all. If my kids had been napping for several hours and/or we had plans to do something, etc. I would wake them up. Maybe I just enjoyed playing with my kids more than other people.

Old 03-16-2021, 08:08 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,123,159 times
Some of my late husband's relatives have been enduring this. Grandma isn't buying daddy a new truck (again!) so he says you will never see the grands until I get it. They have been thru this many times. It's a very sad situation that rips the heart of the grandparents but in many ways some of that falls back to many serious mistakes in raising that now parent.

Old 03-16-2021, 11:44 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
The horror stories I have heard involve money. Dad is widowed; he finds a women he loves and wants to marry. His kids say “no.” If he marries her there will be no contact with the grandkids, period. The adult kids want dad’s estate when he passes. They fear his estate would go to new wife. In this case, the grandkids are used as leverage.

Old 03-16-2021, 03:52 PM

1,462 posts, read 658,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
No, I do not mean a child sized backpack containing a bomb. Rather adult children who withhold the Grandchildren from the Grandparents unless the Grandparents do exactly what the 'adult' children demand of them.

Enslavement is an applicable term for the demands or expectations received by some Grandparents.
Uh.....I believe the term you're referring to is extortion!

Old 03-16-2021, 06:17 PM

7,077 posts, read 8,937,659 times
Glad I am not the only one in the boat, once my grandson was born we have had to jump through ridiculous hoops to be able to see him. Much of it is because of our meathead son in law, he was already a whiny mama’s boy before the kid was born but has transformed into our daughter in law Karen. His parents are not treated this way and it just makes us feel as if they don’t want us around. Our daughter at least knows better because my father in law has not been much of a grandfather to her.

Old 03-18-2021, 06:33 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,933,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
Uh.....I believe the term you're referring to is extortion!
No, I intended enslavement.
Extortion is very common too, and maybe more common.
Some unfortunate Grandparents may be victims of both, such as "I need you to retire early so that you can provide free childcare to us while we both work, and saying No is not an option if you ever want to see your Grandchildren again."

Old 03-18-2021, 08:30 AM

6,296 posts, read 4,192,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I don't think it's bizarre at all. If my kids had been napping for several hours and/or we had plans to do something, etc. I would wake them up. Maybe I just enjoyed playing with my kids more than other people.
No, it’s about not putting “your” need to play above the children's need to nap.

Old 03-18-2021, 08:40 AM

6,296 posts, read 4,192,051 times
Quote:
Some unfortunate Grandparents may be victims of both, such as "I need you to retire early so that you can provide free childcare to us while we both work, and saying No is not an option if you ever want to see your Grandchildren again."

Our dil tried that one but my son wasn’t having it. For a year he brought the grandchildren over once a week while his wife sulked at home. She has tried to use passive aggressive tactics but it doesn’t work because we all ignore and say nothing to our son about his wife. Things are better now. With a weaker husband she may have gotten away with cutting her children off from loving grandparents.

Old 03-18-2021, 09:02 AM

1,462 posts, read 658,580 times
Quote:
I hear you. It was my lame attempt at humor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents