Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 06:19 PM

300 posts, read 638,958 times

Advertisements

Cold War has been over for 20 years, shouldnt we move towards normalizing relations with Cuba? Its just not right for a country to be 90 miles off your coast and still be butthurt off something that happened 50 years ago. Communism is no longer a "threat" to America(I never thought it was even when the USSR was around).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 07:08 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,576,379 times
Keep it the way it is. It's a vacation paradise for us Canuks with no damn Yankees around.

Last edited by lucknow; 01-13-2013 at 08:00 PM..

Old 01-13-2013, 07:31 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,651,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Revival View Post
Cold War has been over for 20 years, shouldnt we move towards normalizing relations with Cuba? Its just not right for a country to be 90 miles off your coast and still be butthurt off something that happened 50 years ago. Communism is no longer a "threat" to America(I never thought it was even when the USSR was around).
I agree. I'd love to visit Cuba and it really gets me that I can't - not because the Cubans won't allow it, but because my country - the "land of the free" - restricts it. And why, because a small group of very vocal Cuban expats can't get over the fact that Batista's corrupt government was overthrown in the 50s. That attitude hurts everyone - especially the people in Cuba. Let's move on.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:28 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times
I don't think very many Americans support our ridiculous Cuba policies anymore. However, a very small cadre of angry donors do, and that's all it takes to keep the current laws in place. Thankfully, it's easy to jump the embargo, and tens of thousands of Americans do it every year.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:44 PM

585 posts, read 1,087,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I don't think very many Americans support our ridiculous Cuba policies anymore. However, a very small cadre of angry donors do, and that's all it takes to keep the current laws in place. Thankfully, it's easy to jump the embargo, and tens of thousands of Americans do it every year.
I suspect that, over time, the embargo will become more and more meaningless, even if there are no changes to the laws.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:36 PM

881 posts, read 2,092,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Revival View Post
Relations of any kind are a two way street, and the Cuban, er, leadership has had a vested interest in keeping the US as the “ great Satan", just moments away from destroying the island nation were it not for the Leader's valiant efforts. Of course, this attitude w/ it's attendant behaviors plays in very nicely with those here willing to raise the " red menace" line, thus the status quo remains.
FWIW, Cuba is, in my travel experience, the most breathtakingly beautiful island in the Caribbean - ranking alongside any of the Pacific tropics.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:43 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times
Agreed the whole thang is nuts, although if you know anything about S. Florida's fanatical cuban ''exiles'' (los exilios), who were the upper class that prospered under Batista's oppression (and why Cuba finally had a revolution), then the current Cubans are probably better off by keeping 'em the hell away!

Old 01-14-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Agreed the whole thang is nuts, although if you know anything about S. Florida's fanatical cuban ''exiles'' (los exilios), who were the upper class that prospered under Batista's oppression (and why Cuba finally had a revolution), then the current Cubans are probably better off by keeping 'em the hell away!
I can assure you that not all anti Castro are former "upper class". I married one, and her entire family, while quite anti Castro, did their level best to support friends and family " left behind" with what little they had at the time. Generalizing either side is, as in most debates, an invitation to inaccuracy and an impediment to real reform.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:38 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayess1 View Post
I can assure you that not all anti Castro are former "upper class". I married one, and her entire family, while quite anti Castro, did their level best to support friends and family " left behind" with what little they had at the time. Generalizing either side is, as in most debates, an invitation to inaccuracy and an impediment to real reform.
You are technically correct, not all current cuban refugees are "upper class", since there have been several additional waves of refugees since the first, much more affluent ones (like Rubios family) fled the revolution. In fact, one of the most notorious refugee groups who arrived much later, were the so-called "Marielitos", many of whom were simply released from Cuban prisons, when Castro saw an opportunity to get rid of them. Some were former political prisoners, but many others were some of the most nasty & violent criminals, even by cuban standards... all released onto the Miami streets! In fact Hollywood even made a hit show out of what became of it... Miami Vice!

NYTimes-can-miami-save-itself-a-city-beset-by-drugs-and-violence

Old 01-15-2013, 06:38 PM

And not all refugees then were "upper class" either. Revolutions, like all wars, cost a great deal of money, and the Soviets couldn't foot the entire bill, and there were plenty of well off folks looking to change the state of government & threw their support (and $$$) to the Revolution.
Oh, and that article? You do know the NYT had to retrench & retreat afterwards...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates