Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 05:42 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I think people overestimate how much the average American cares about anything. I think 99% of the population is pretty apathetic about politics and government. We see the extreme crazy left and right on TV but they're not going to drum up support for a revolution. This isn't Civil War era. Bernie supporters, Trump, Tea Part, BLM etc can get some people to show up to a march or protest but once they get to the point of picking up arms and going to war with the government most people are going to decide to stay home on their couch and watch TV.

There is no doubt we are going to have one of the worst presidents in history in a few months (unless somehow Gary Johnson wins) but the beauty of our system is that you only have to wait 4 years to hit the reset button (that and the fact that the who is president doesn't really matter). The reason countries revolt is because they know their crappy leader is going to be in office until they die
Ultimately, I agree with you. The average American is far more concerned with what's happening on TV than with what's going on in the world, or even with domestic issues and policies that (potentially) directly impact their lives.

Having said that, the political climate in the US, especially during every ridiculously long presidential campaign, IS very negative. Relentlessly negative. Actually, it's shamefully childish, hostile, inflammatory, and hateful, and I, for one, get pretty effing tired of it of it all. But I'm always amazed at how many others seem to revel in it.

The negativity likely won't lead to political revolution or war, but we deserve a much more intelligent, civil, mature process than the circus we're willing to settle for. More important, we get so caught up in the political hysterics, that we fail to realize that having the American population busily fighting amongst themselves is EXACTLY what those with all the REAL power want. They've got us right where they want us.

Keep 'em dumb and distracted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 01:52 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Watch for the coming of the technological singularity. About 2045. Workers and conventional civilizations no longer needed. The uneducated masses will not be pleased.
Dream on; long before there were scientists and engineers, there were personal servants.

And there's little doubt in my mind that basic needs central to the human condition will continue to fuel a demand for at least semi-skilled labor (in health care, for example).

Or that the nature of keeping both an infrastructure, and our personal living spaces in good repair will continue to fuel a demand for "medium-tech" jobs which require only a modest intellect, but above-average dexterity.

So I suspect that he "latter day Luddites" -- with their visions of "self-driving" vehicles and other science-fantasy, can put their dreams and/or nightmares away; George Jetson was created about fifty years ago, and the real world since then has turned out a lot differently.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 08-15-2016 at 02:16 PM..

Old 08-15-2016, 04:09 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,650,554 times
One party has written off the other many times. They have always been wrong. Not too long ago I was reading a Saturday Evening Post from November of 1965. It had a story about the head of the RNC. A year earlier Goldwater got blown out, the current up and comers were Lindsey and Reagan who were polar opposites, people predicted the party was done. Three years later they won the White House. Whatever happens now will be forgotten by the next mid term election.

Polarization will continue but not for the reason that most people think. It continues because there are millions of new voters every four years. The left will go farther left. The right will go more to the center but only because of the age of the religious right. We will have the same divide we have now. Different issues, and who knows what they will be, but the same divide.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:51 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,235,755 times
Come on guys. Haven't any of you taken history class?

We've had periods of political paralysis before. Most notably the Gilded Age, which featured rapid technological change, rising inequality and weak presidents. It lasted 30 years before a kind of consensus was reached. During that time presidential elections were hotly contested and all within 5 points. Despite that, we dont really remember that era of political leaders because they didn't really do anything due to the polarization. The real movers and shakers of that era were in other arenas like business.

We're probably mired in something like that now. Eventually it will pass, but maybe not for a decade or two.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:24 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,444,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I think the current polarization will get worse, but as far as outcomes (such as political) it will become more lopsided, not divided.

Demographics are swiftly shifting in this country with the old power blocks disappearing pretty rapidly. The right will be forced to moderate, in my opinion, or they will simply become the crazy Uncle in the family and left alone at family BBQ's...
I agree..I think this problem will only be solved the the shifting demographic. The 18-21yo has an entirely different set of imperatives from the 40 to 70yo's.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:13 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,648,730 times
america has always been a very polarized nation, does the civil war ring any bells.we have been dividing ourselves down political,racial,religious, economic line since this country began.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:19 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Come on guys. Haven't any of you taken history class?

We've had periods of political paralysis before. Most notably the Gilded Age, which featured rapid technological change, rising inequality and weak presidents. It lasted 30 years before a kind of consensus was reached. During that time presidential elections were hotly contested and all within 5 points. Despite that, we dont really remember that era of political leaders because they didn't really do anything due to the polarization. The real movers and shakers of that era were in other arenas like business.

We're probably mired in something like that now. Eventually it will pass, but maybe not for a decade or two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
america has always been a very polarized nation, does the civil war ring any bells.we have been dividing ourselves down political,racial,religious, economic line since this country began.

Yes, I realize the US has always been polarized. She's the drama queen of the world stage, after all, and, like a temperamental teenaged girl, just can't be satisfied to be chill and happy. There's always something to [complain] about! The sky is always falling!

The difference between the Civil War era or the Gilded age and today, however, is the way the media encourages that polarization -- 24/7 -- and the politicians/wannabe politicians who will say and do ANYTHING to generate "news." It's not a presidential election. It's a WWE spectacle.

Last edited by Jeo123; 08-16-2016 at 09:36 PM.. Reason: If the censor would catch it, use another word

Old 08-16-2016, 09:34 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,779,430 times
I appreciate the civility of a potentially political topic, but to keep with the guidelines of the the forum, what makes you all feel the way you do? Give detail to your stance so you can either persuade people or encourage a detailed conversation.

Yes, we've always been a polarized nation. But what does that say about our continuing down this path?

Demographics are certainly shifting, and by the very nature of them seem to indicate that we as a country will become more liberal, but to argue the counter point, a famous quote across the ages, that most recently was ascribed to Winston Churchill (though from what I gather he was far from the originator) comes to mind...
Quote:
Winston S. Churchill supposedly once observed that anyone who was not a liberal at 20 years of age had no heart, while anyone who was still a liberal at 40 had no head.
I don't argue for either side in this situation, but do want to point out the thought that the current millenials will always be liberal has been a debatable fact going as far back as the 1800s from what I can find(and I assume probably further).

Left vs Right will always largely come down to a disagreement between the generations, especially with regards to who foots the bill.

Income taxes today to foot "entitlements" largely result in the well off older generation footing the bill for either the a) "Mad bad choices" older generation, b) "Haven't paid in yet" younger generation, or c) "Never going to pay in" illegal immigrants. In other words, everyone the republican party is against. It's not necessarily due to party policy, more related to a party who's members are looking out for themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I largely side with the left, especially on social issues, but on principle I under stand where the counter argument comes from.

I can't imagine growing up with a generation of peers, watching them party their lives away, and then suddenly when the grand result of decades of choices comes, you are doing well for yourself due to the extra hours, missed parties, etc, and suddenly the government comes in and give your reward away to the kids in your school who never tried? That sounds like a reason for outrage.

The disconnect is obviously that not everyone receiving that benefit was just a "could have been great but partied to hard" individual and to assume that's where welfare goes is an obvious fallacy, but perception often becomes reality, and if you live with a group where you constantly see that high school slacker getting welfare while you watch your taxes go up... well I can imagine it's hard not to draw assumptions.

So given that, I don't think it's a fair assumption that the millennial generation and the ones beyond it growning older will simply solve the disagreement. After all, let's not forget that the current generation of leaders were once the hippie generation. Liberal today does not mean liberal tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates