Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 02:06 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,015,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
We will survive Trump but at what cost?
Polls show an 84% chance of the US surviving Trump. Your mileage may vary.

Meanwhile, Trump's only chance of political survival may be to become a liberal. His roots after all are in the amoral world of business. There is nothing that he owes to the GOP. Profits are now equal to votes on the Hill, and -- like everyone else -- he may find it easier to work with Democrats than with the dug-in crackpot demagogues of the right-wing.

It'll be great, trust me!

Last edited by Pub-911; 11-10-2016 at 02:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 07:18 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,974,170 times
Apparently both Canada and Mexico have already expressed interest in renegotiating NAFTA with Trump and Trump hasn't even been installed yet. That is something .. and something that people said he would not be able to do since according to many everyone in the world hates him.

I think that Trump will actually make an excellent president. For all his faults, I am convinced he really cares about ALL Americans (though no, one cannot satisfy everyone all the time). I hope not to 'just survive' his presidency as I did Bush and Obama. No president can do everything they promise but I think I may actually be pleasantly surprised at how much this guy can do - through very legal and thoughtful means. I hope you all are too when you calm down (if you are upset).

I think it too bad (though not Trump's fault) that it is all starting off with the hotheads showing off their hatred in large cities but I do hope they will cool it soon.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:21 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
We don't know what Donald Trump will do.

In his victory speech, he promised massive infrastructure projects and jobs, good health care for all, and LOWER taxes.

Tell me how that happens.
Simple. If ten people want to go in on pizza but two of them have no money then the other eight can toss in $5 and they can buy $40 worth of pizza to share. But if the other two get jobs then all ten can toss in $4.50 (less input) and still buy $45 worth of pizza (more goods). Understand now?

Old 11-10-2016, 08:27 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,204,319 times
I didn't vote for neither of them but I am open-minded to see what he does. But there's a perception however that some of his more daft followers listening to his more raunchy comments will think it's okay to emulate him.

Old 11-10-2016, 09:04 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,231,566 times
Today Trump talked about how Obama was a good guy and had done some great things. He wants to call on Obama for counsel. Wtf.

Old 11-11-2016, 12:45 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,328,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Simple. If ten people want to go in on pizza but two of them have no money then the other eight can toss in $5 and they can buy $40 worth of pizza to share. But if the other two get jobs then all ten can toss in $4.50 (less input) and still buy $45 worth of pizza (more goods). Understand now?
Exactly! we don't have to abandon the safety net; the increasing instability of the job market, and of daily life itself, makes that a "given".

But the problem here, as evidenced in the link below, is that we have raised a group of spoiled children who (1) expect too much (2) have no basic understanding of the workings of the markets (3) expect to be shielded from the downside of daily economic life (4) expect Left-leaning politicians to cater to their wants, and (5) expect those who dissent from their views to pay for it all, from a huge vault of "stolen" money -- somewhere.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/elect...berals-11.html

Trump's biggest fault is that he can't (or won't) convey to his groupies that neither he, nor anyone else, can cope with the negative effects of de-industrialization; can't stop what liberal and unionist detractors like to characterize as a "race to the bottom". The unfortunate fact is that a post-industrial society is going to want more janitors and CNAs -- which is not what 25-year-olds with an advanced degree in Intellectual Fingerpainting had in mind. And the problem is only going to worsen as other societies pull their way out of the Third World, and fewer and fewer people will come here to do our unwanted jobs for us.

But I think we've found the "perfect candidates" for those jobs -- if we can muster the resolve to hold them accountable for their previous foolishness. In reality, they, or more likely Mom and Dad will get most of them off the hook -- but an example here and there (probably for not too long a time) drives the point home -- and sends a tough message that Barry-O's big mistake can't, and won't be repeated.

And a combination of putting access to the aforementioned "safety net" under control, plus attaching it to the possibility reduction / forgiveness of student loan debt, would be a sensible step in the right direction

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 11-11-2016 at 01:06 AM..

Old 11-11-2016, 02:38 AM

29,213 posts, read 22,351,209 times
I think that the U.S. will return to one-term Presidencies again after Trump.

After the Civil War, only Grant was a two-term President, and this trend continued until the end of the 19th century. Grant's second term did a lot to keep the trend going, as it was a complete disaster of corruption and scandal.

The 1878 election, which determined Grant's successor, was so contested that Grant had to from an Electoral Commission in Congress to decide it, after several months of stalemate, and the only way Hayes became President was through a compromise.
The compromise ended the military occupation of several states when the troops were sent to quell the street violence and keep the peace.
Things were so tense that they came close to starting another civil war, but Grant's calm actions in creating the commission prevented war from breaking out. Grant was the most popular President of that century, and his widespread popularity on all sides was the largest reason war was avoided.

2-term Presidents did not become common until the 20th century, and were more rare before WWII than after it, with FDR being the great exception. Franklin Delano Roosevelt was elected 3 times due to the long-continuing slow recovery from the 1930 depression, and a 4th time because the war broke out. Grant was pressed to run a 3rd time for similar reasons, but declined, and un-officially served for many months longer than the official limits of his 2nd term.

Grant's VP left office at the proper time, however. For almost 2 years, Grant was an extended-term President who had no VP at all.

Since the United States has never been led by a perpetual adolescent before, maybe we will all see some brand-new compromise come about that was as singular as Grant's was to keep the government going.

So far, we have had only one President who resigned the office, and Nixon did so only under great duress. His resignation avoided conviction of impeachment. Impeachment is the only purely political crime on the books, and the only penalty for conviction is the forced removal from office. Impeachment alone carries no criminal penalties, but criminality may be a cause for bringing impeachment charges, as does some very vague items like, possibly, insanity; the Constitution reads "only for treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors"

High crimes and misdemeanors has never been closely defined at all, so it's largely unknown territory that is left up to the Congress.

While impeachemnt has never been convicted a President, it has removed Judges, Governors, State Officials and some Federal Officials from office, and insanity or 'unfitness' has been a cause in some of those instances.

The United States has never impeached and convicted a President so far, has never had an election go to the House of Representatives for a resolution either, so the nation has not yet experienced all the possibilities of what could happen yet. The nation has never gone down the line of succession farther than the Vice President, either, but the line goes down the Administration after the Speaker of the House; the Sec. of State follows the Speaker, and goes down another 13 places from there. I think the 4th in line is the Sec. of the Treasury, the 5th is the Sec. of Defense, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates