Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 07:00 AM

35,067 posts, read 17,014,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
The OP's argument is like in the old, old day, some people said the globe was square; and nowadays, there are still many people oppose to flu vaccine every year because they think it makes them sick.

Yes, there's a very small number of people that have reactions to the vaccine. That is different. That does not mean the vaccine is useless, and everybody should not have the vaccine.
I'm not against vaccines at all. They are rarely particularly effective, may get some sick, and the development rollout is irrelevant to this situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 07:41 AM

50,794 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I don't know if this is the right paragraph in which to post this but if reopenings are allowed and people are still scared. they won't or shouldn't go out. It's their choice and not mine.
You made my point better than I could have made it! I think our respective governors' orders are premised upon aid from outside (Washington, G-d???) that respectively shouldn't come or is very unlikely to come. If Trump could say, "your dime", the states would have to reopen, like it or not.
The problem of waiting till November and the unlikelihood of change then in the State Houses, people take to the streets or other forms of defiance. New York's lack of any competitive politics, i.e. one party rule, makes change at the ballot box problematic. And "mail voting" creates rich opportunities for ballots to be cooked up. The mantra should be the Doobie Bros. song "Taking it to the Streets." When the tractors went to Washington, agricultural aid proliferated back in the 1980s.
There is no evidence that mail voting is problematic. You actually have paper which you don’t have with digital voting in a booth. We have had mail voting for decades as no evidence of fraud. This is just attempting to cast mistrust in mail votes by those who have a vested interest in vote suppression.

If the government doesn’t make sure states are viable financially after blowing their budgets bidding against each other for PPE and the other millions spent on this, their readiness to reopen is compromised hurting us all. Again stupidity and short sightedness by the day traders running our country.

Old 04-27-2020, 11:02 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I'm not against vaccines at all. They are rarely particularly effective, may get some sick, and the development rollout is irrelevant to this situation.
There's too much bad "thinking" in this so-called Great Debates forum.

Most vaccines are quite effective, just not enough (especially with non-compliance) to eradicate viruses. The least effective is about 50% for anything that is widely used, with the flu vaccine a whipping boy that nonetheless typically prevents severe symptoms when vaccinated individuals do get the virus.
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-le...ved-by-the-FDA
Some vaccines are 99% effective.

"Nothing works that well, so let's just do what happens to benefit me" - everyone knows that attitude is prevalent.

Old 04-27-2020, 11:53 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikari_Warrior_Danju View Post
I laugh when people tell me this. If I got infected, better yet, if I were dying from this virus, I wouldn't want anyone to stop what they were doing. I wouldn't want my family, my closest friends to stop their lives, wouldn't want the country to go into a great recession because I am about to die. NOPE. I would want everyone I love to be even better off and for the country to grow out of this even stronger. I would hate to die knowing that we live in a nation of cowards and weaklings.
Your keen insight to our most pressing problem is rare indeed, you see weaklings and cowards, the majority sees fools and a mindless bravado. And in that vein, your misguided notions of your death being a heroic event, because you "don't want family and friends to stop their lives," is such an irony, given that you want to do as you please-- even at the risk you may pose to others. That's not the stuff of heroism, but is certainly qualifies as a fools take on personal responsibility.

Viral contagions kill without regard for such views, they have no knowledge of economics or the finer points of our constitutional concepts, they just are what they are. So it's up to us humans to deal with those pesky intrusions into our economic system, not to mention the fact that only an idiot would opt out for an elongated debate on our right to do stupid stuff. Yeah, that's what this boils down to, we will either have our individual intelligence guiding our actions, or--we can get out there, get infected, spread that around, beleaguer our entire first responder population, simply because your pretzel logic dictates your actions..

Old 04-28-2020, 06:24 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Default CDC: Social Distancing Rules Apply to Pets

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/co...8PF?li=BBnb7Kz

Exactly what I was saying earlier in this thread even before this was officially announced. It makes perfect sense based on what currently know about the virus' pathogenicity.

Old 04-28-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/co...8PF?li=BBnb7Kz

Exactly what I was saying earlier in this thread even before this was officially announced. It makes perfect sense based on what currently know about the virus' pathogenicity.
The problem is that the pets' susceptibility to illness or carriage of the virus makes "distancing" an act of futility. This should be pretty obvious to intelligent people.

Old 06-25-2020, 06:41 PM

I was right. See, from the CDC, If You Have Pets.

Old 06-27-2020, 06:24 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
I distance myself from all felines. Domestic cats running wild I cannot stand and when I'm walking my Malamutes, the cat tends to distance itself from us. As for big cats, I have always distanced myself from them and the three times I have come across a large cat (aka mountain lion), I have made sure with a few shots to the ground that we would keep distance.

Old 06-27-2020, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
I distance myself from all felines. Domestic cats running wild I cannot stand and when I'm walking my Malamutes, the cat tends to distance itself from us. As for big cats, I have always distanced myself from them and the three times I have come across a large cat (aka mountain lion), I have made sure with a few shots to the ground that we would keep distance.
Do you stay six feet away from leopards?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates