Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 12:40 AM

749 posts, read 481,031 times

Advertisements

Some states are reopening but deaths are higher than ever and in the Fall the cases are gonna skyrocket again. I don’t want to go back to the way it was. I like staying home and getting paid and playing my video games. It was a really busy world out there. I like peace. This is better.

What’s wrong with playing games and doing what you like? Why do we have to just spend time being busy to feel better? This is why I feel sorry for people who don’t like video games. They have much less to do at home and they just complain. People that like games are helping to slow down the spread.

Looking back, life was really hectic. This change in pace is really great. I think that people should only see other people on special occasions. Schools can just be online. We need change and this pandemic proves that we don’t need school. It’s all a system like The Matrix that we’ve been forced to believe.

I don’t want to go back the old way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 12:44 AM

4,525 posts, read 3,403,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
Some states are reopening but deaths are higher than ever and in the Fall the cases are gonna skyrocket again. I don’t want to go back to the way it was. I like staying home and getting paid and playing my video games. It was a really busy world out there. I like peace. This is better.

What’s wrong with playing games and doing what you like? Why do we have to just spend time being busy to feel better? This is why I feel sorry for people who don’t like video games. They have much less to do at home and they just complain. People that like games are helping to slow down the spread.

Looking back, life was really hectic. This change in pace is really great. I think that people should only see other people on special occasions. Schools can just be online. We need change and this pandemic proves that we don’t need school. It’s all a system like The Matrix that we’ve been forced to believe.

I love watching movies/shows, reading, playing video games, working from home, etc.

But yet, I don't want to live this way long-term. Without seeing my friends in-person, dating, going on vacation trips, exploring different types of places, etc.

Old 04-27-2020, 10:34 AM

610 posts, read 263,870 times
There is a difference between choosing to live that kind of life and being forced to. Personally, the thought of life being reduced to sitting at home and going to the grocery store is absurd (even worse when you live alone). That's not living, that's existing.

Old 04-27-2020, 11:29 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
My choices of career and lifestyle have exposed me to a wide variety of job opportunities. And as Alexander Pope best expressed it nearly three centuries ago, "All our knowledge is ourselves to know."

I was a successful undergraduate because I thrived in the casual, relaxed, anything-that-works atmosphere on campus. But I couldn't maintain that approach in the more-demanding and -disciplined milieu of graduate study, And when I had to face the self-effacement that characterizes most entry-level "Korporate" jobs -- there was some panful "un-learning" to be done.

I mitigated, but did not solve the problem of this hard choice by gravitating to workplaces that operated on a 24-hour/7-day basis, often with an "authorized persons only" sign on the door. I developed a reputation, not only for handling spontaneous issues well, but for being able to document the issues in a matter that superiors could easily understand. But on several occasions, things tended to turn sour when "advancement" led to a steady grind on a 9-to-5 schedule, dealing regularly with the petty-empire-building called "office politics".

I eventually addressed this problem by staring a sideline business in tax preparation, but juggling two lobs every spring was an ordeal; and extra coursework only led to bitter disappointment when I recognized that would not allow me to escape the culture of gray flannel and conservative neckties.

In the end, I survived, and prospered -- thanks in no small part to what I'd learned about the downside of "Korporate" life and how to defend oneself against it. So I hope that this temporary interruption in the rat race will just teach more of the slaves to the daily grind to stand up; the sheep need to "grow a pair" -- of horns.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 04-27-2020 at 12:36 PM..

Old 04-27-2020, 12:34 PM

749 posts, read 481,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI1287 View Post
There is a difference between choosing to live that kind of life and being forced to. Personally, the thought of life being reduced to sitting at home and going to the grocery store is absurd (even worse when you live alone). That's not living, that's existing.

For me, I don’t even go to the grocery store anymore. I use instacart. No reason to risk myself getting exposed when delivery is so convenient.

Old 04-27-2020, 12:46 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
If you indulge yourself and sit home alone without interacting with others you can lose even more of the social skills you have now (limited though they may be). Once you allow that to happen, the few times you can't avoid going out and engaging with others are going to become even harder and unpleasant than they are now. IMHO, avoiding more and more things you don't happen to like doesn't make you stronger, it makes you weaker. Like a muscle or your brain...use it or lose it.

Think about all the jokes about antisocial overgrown teenager slobs who sit in their parents' basements not working, just playing video games and living in fantasy worlds. Is that really what you aspire to be? So sorry the living world outside the bedroom door isn't to your liking. Last time I checked, it doesn't care.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-27-2020 at 02:00 PM..

Old 04-27-2020, 12:58 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:

Do what you want to do, but why should companies pay you to sit and play video games? Unless of course, you're a professional video game player, or vlogger, or you have a YouTube channel where you play video games all day.

Old 04-27-2020, 02:10 PM

8,050 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:

Sorry kid, you lose. We are opening up. Keep your Trump Bucks as a consolation prize.

Old 04-27-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
... the downside of "Korporate" life...
Never saw that one before. I'm gonna use it!

Old 04-27-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Do what you want to do, but why should companies pay you to sit and play video games? Unless of course, you're a professional video game player, or vlogger, or you have a YouTube channel where you play video games all day.
Even if he is s pro gamer, how can gaming fans support the sport if many or most don't have jobs and are living off the government teat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates