Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2020, 11:20 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times

Advertisements

I just finished reading the Bodyguard's Story by Trevor Rees-Jones, the lone survivor of the crash in Paris that took Princess Di, being pursued into the tunnel with a wave of motor scooters looking for a photo. In the book, all of these paparazzi were cleared of crimes.

Some people think: they deserve living in a fish bowl, they've got lots of $$, serves them right.

But, anyone could become a celebrity, accidentally, like Trevor Rees-Jones, who was hounded by the media for 2 years after the accident.

Even before this happened, when they took cruises on Dodi's luxurious yacht, boats and helicopters of photographers were after them everywhere, they couldn't even take a walk on the beach. And I'm sure it's no different with Hollywood celebrities.

What's your opinion? They're just doing their jobs? They're criminals? They should be roped in for invasion of privacy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 01:11 AM

1,884 posts, read 1,002,747 times
I personally have the utmost sympathy for the celebrities, no matter how much money they have.

What if they run out of money and become a broke washout? Can paparazzi still terrorize them?

Since everyone's born with the same rights and all (supposedly), can paparazzi legally/morally terrorize your average Joe or Jane?

The actual cameramen are just doing their jobs. It's their employers, the ones making the real money, who should be legally punished in some way.

Old 06-10-2020, 04:26 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
I believe in law and order for all. If a photo chaser breaks the law stop them if not let them be.

What makes me sick is how infatuated with the rich and famous we are. A smart business man or investor is worth my time to hear from but the attractive celebrities do not interest me at all. Why on earth do stars think they can sway my opinion on political or policy matters? They cant.

When I see the Hollywood crowd I am reminded of high school and college years where the goofy geeky acting crowd were consider weird not revered. Now that a few of them are rich Hollywood types they are not suddenly smarter or worth listening to on any matter.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:35 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Agree. It's the public's insatiable desire to be continually fed these celebrities every move. When I accidentally see a tabloid, I am amazed and appalled at the dreck, and single minded focus on these narcissistics. Who cares!

I believe the paparazzi does need to be reined in. I have no idea how to go about it though. While we plebians think fame would be cool, this is a major downside.

Old 06-10-2020, 12:29 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,891,592 times
I believe that some Paparazzi are actually tipped off by celebrities of their comings and goings. You don’t stay a celebrity by shunning public attention.

Old 06-15-2020, 05:47 PM

63 posts, read 23,454 times
If you marry into the royal family or pursue a Hollywood career, that goes with the territory. The paparazzi are just doing their jobs. Everyone involved knows the game and they all play it willingly. When George Clooney has a new movie to promote, does he wear a disguise and run from the cameras? Of course not. Both sides benefit.
After the divorce, Diana could've chosen to live a quiet life raising her young children. Instead she left them with a nanny or someone else and spent her time globetrotting with an Egyptian playboy.

Old 06-17-2020, 11:58 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,265 times
The paparazzi only exists because the public WANTS to see invasive photos of celebs. If magazines weren't making money from celeb shots, magazines would stop publishing them immediately, and the paparazzi would lose their jobs. They're all running a business and business comes first.

The invasion of privacy is terrible for A-list celebrities, but it's the down side of being A-list.

As for Diana, the driver shouldn't have driven so fast. You need to be scared of your own life and what COULD happen. And they all should've worn a seatbelt.

Old 06-17-2020, 12:01 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhitp View Post
If you marry into the royal family or pursue a Hollywood career, that goes with the territory. The paparazzi are just doing their jobs. Everyone involved knows the game and they all play it willingly. When George Clooney has a new movie to promote, does he wear a disguise and run from the cameras? Of course not. Both sides benefit.
After the divorce, Diana could've chosen to live a quiet life raising her young children. Instead she left them with a nanny or someone else and spent her time globetrotting with an Egyptian playboy.
After Diana's death, seems the media and the royal family reached an agreement because you don't see the ugly paparazzi shots of them anymore. You only see them at official royal events now.

Old 06-17-2020, 05:44 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,228 times
Before celebrity tabloids existed, people gossiped about their neighbors, and that's what they'll do again when celebrity status, digital photography, TV, and the internet are gone. Where local newspapers exist, they may have local gossip columns. The processes of making and printing on paper without electric machines requires work and wood, which may be too valuable as firewood and housing material.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates