Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 09:37 AM

455 posts, read 388,835 times

Advertisements

I ran into an individual who first said he/she could not wear a mask at work because it violated his/her constitutional rights, specifically the fifth amendment. Later he/she said it violated his/her right to privacy. I asked several different ways how wearing a mask correlated to any of that. The response was "you can't mandate I wear a mask and that is my statement".

I am SO confused what the heck he/she was talking about. Does anyone have any ideas because I am super curious. My guess is that he/she may have lowered intelligence but maybe there is something I don't know.

I'm not seeking people's opinions on whether or not they wear a mask just trying to grab my hands around this argument that was not explained above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2020, 09:41 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,567,247 times
If that’s a real thing then your friend should stop wearing a seatbelt immediately.

Old 06-12-2020, 09:45 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,034,249 times
Here's the 5th Amendment.

"Fifth Amendment. One of the ten amendments to the United States Constitution that make up the Bill of Rights. The Fifth Amendment imposes restrictions on the government's prosecution of persons accused of crimes. It prohibits self-incrimination and double jeopardy and mandates due process of law."

Not really sure how that applies to your friend's refusal to wear a mask.

All I can think is that gov. can't mandate that anyone wear a mask, and thus, one can't be arrested, charged, punished for not wearing a mask.

That said, a private company CAN mandate that you wear a mask, as many companies have. Create a disturbance over the issue, you could get arrested for creating a disturbance, or you could get fired, etc.

Old 06-12-2020, 09:47 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,526,504 times
Where I live, it's required to enter a store.

So if they feel it violates their rights to wear a mask that's fine, but the store is within their rights to deny entry to that person. I've witnessed some pretty impressive tantrums from this policy that would give my 2 year old a run for his money.

Old 06-12-2020, 11:32 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,253,409 times
If a store makes it mandatory, I personally, have no problem, but if some governor makes it a requirement, I want them to quote the statue of that law! Glad to say I live in a state where it is not mandatory and have come across NO stores where it is required by store policy.

Old 06-12-2020, 12:15 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,034,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
If a store makes it mandatory, I personally, have no problem, but if some governor makes it a requirement, I want them to quote the statue of that law! Glad to say I live in a state where it is not mandatory and have come across NO stores where it is required by store policy.

I live in Missouri. Some stores REQUIRE it, others strongly suggest it.

I don't have an issue with what the stores want/require. But I think it super sucks to have to work with a mask on. So far, working from home, that hasn't been an issue for me.

Old 06-12-2020, 02:59 PM

455 posts, read 388,835 times
Thanks and to clarify this is absolutely not my friend, just some random person. I am well aware of what the laws are and are not but what I cannot understand is how a sane person could make this argument. I'm going with he/she has mental retardation.

Old 06-12-2020, 03:15 PM

19,054 posts, read 27,620,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Where I live, it's required to enter a store.

So if they feel it violates their rights to wear a mask that's fine, but the store is within their rights to deny entry to that person. I've witnessed some pretty impressive tantrums from this policy that would give my 2 year old a run for his money.

So, I have a question.
American citizen is a free person within a free country. His rights, liberties and freedoms are guaranteed by constitution. One of those rights is freedom of movement from a point to a point. Unless, it is violating boundaries of another freedom - freedom of personal and private property.

So exactly what legal right does a "store", or any other business, have, to implement their own decisions on who has right to enter and who does not? I am pretty sure, those store owners don't even really own the property, they most likely rent it. Then, there is landlord. Does landlord have such legal right?

I am more curious about LEGAL aspects of A business making decision, limiting US citizens in their constitutional rights? I mean, next, there will be store imposed limitations based on what? Height? Skin color? Ethnicity? Haven't we seen this before? No such and such allowed?

Old 06-12-2020, 03:53 PM

1,037 posts, read 435,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
So, I have a question.
American citizen is a free person within a free country. His rights, liberties and freedoms are guaranteed by constitution. One of those rights is freedom of movement from a point to a point. Unless, it is violating boundaries of another freedom - freedom of personal and private property.
You are misinterpreting what freedom of movement means. It does not mean a citizen has a hall pass to roam where and when they like.

Quote:
So exactly what legal right does a "store", or any other business, have, to implement their own decisions on who has right to enter and who does not? I am pretty sure, those store owners don't even really own the property, they most likely rent it. Then, there is landlord. Does landlord have such legal right?
Own or Lease, a business can only act through their Agents (the basic law of Agency). If the business itself is the owner, they set the rules. If the business is a Renter of the property, they also set the rules, as long as they comply with the terms of the Lease, the LL has no say in the operations except when actions warrant legal intervention.

Quote:
I am more curious about LEGAL aspects of A business making decision, limiting US citizens in their constitutional rights? I mean, next, there will be store imposed limitations based on what? Height? Skin color? Ethnicity? Haven't we seen this before? No such and such allowed?
A store/business, as we address it here, is what is known as a Public Accommodation by law, therefore PA laws apply, federal and state. Very rarely can a private entity violate a persons/citizens 1st AM rights.

You use the skin color, ethnicity correctly though. A business can not discriminate against these and other protected classes.

Example: Store A allows white people to shop without masks, but orders blacks to wear masks in order to enter as a business invitee. Illegal.

Example: Store A requires everyone who wishes to enter wear a mask. Legal.

Old 06-12-2020, 04:06 PM

6,468 posts, read 3,987,792 times
Funny, I tend to feel like a mask *protects* my privacy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates