Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 10:01 PM

63 posts, read 23,504 times

Advertisements

In the past couple of weeks we've seen the actions of certain elements within our society to essentially erase all remnants of western civilization from the US. Destroying the statues and legacies of Confederate heroes was not enough. Now it's Columbus, Washington, Jefferson, etc. or anyone else who ever held a slave or uttered a single negative word about non-white people. As a white American, I'm proud of our history overall, our numerous achievements, and the great men who established this country.

For the "people of color" and their allies who disagree and view this country as a bastion of racism, oppression, inequality, etc. I would suggest that they create their own nation free of white people. A nation of colored judges, legislators, law enforcement officers, etc. A nation where white people are absent or totally powerless. What's the objection?

There is simply no way to reconcile the differences between us. It's time to separate.

Old 06-20-2020, 10:06 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,042,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhitp View Post
In the past couple of weeks we've seen the actions of certain elements within our society to essentially erase all remnants of western civilization from the US. Destroying the statues and legacies of Confederate heroes was not enough. Now it's Columbus, Washington, Jefferson, etc. or anyone else who ever held a slave or uttered a single negative word about non-white people. As a white American, I'm proud of our history overall, our numerous achievements, and the great men who established this country.

For the "people of color" and their allies who disagree and view this country as a bastion of racism, oppression, inequality, etc. I would suggest that they create their own nation free of white people. A nation of colored judges, legislators, law enforcement officers, etc. A nation where white people are absent or totally powerless. What's the objection?

There is simply no way to reconcile the differences between us. It's time to separate.

As a "person of color", I LOVE America and fit well into upper middle class white neighborhoods. I am a law abiding, hard working citizen and refuse to separate. I won't go back to my parents country of India nor would I want to live in a Black ghetto. Since I have skin darker than most American Blacks, my only options if America decided to take the separation routes are: 1) A "Little India" enclave within the U.S. although I consider myself more American than Indian since I was born in the U.S. or 2) My preferred option if separate racial nations with the U.S. came to fruition is an "Upper Middle Class Multiracial Enclave" for people of different races who share the values of law and order, hard work but want to live side by side with other races and cultures with individuals who also share those values.

Old 06-20-2020, 10:45 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,858,661 times
No. I definitely think we can all learn to live together. What is needed is decent leadership. Leadership that doesn't pander to any kind of extremists. Leadership should ignore the extremists on both sides. It's the Americans who are in the middle who count, not wild eyed extremists with their extremist attitudes and actions.

As a white American from the northeast, I'm not even sure how I feel about Confederate statues. The more I think about it, they probably do represent a time of treason in our country because those states wanted to break away from the USA. Their reasoning was connected to the institution of slavery. I do understand how slavery was probably necessary for their way of life at the time and I do understand that slavery has probably always existed throughout the history of the world.

But just like imperialism, slavery fell out of favor when people thought about it in a rational manner and realized that it was just plain wrong. It's unfortunate that the south was dependent upon slavery for its livelihood. That caused a war between the states, brother against brother.

An argument can be made that even though the idea behind the Confederacy was wrong, the statues do represent history and are testaments to brave men who fought for what they believed in or were told to fight for. Robert E. Lee statues represent a great general. But an argument can also be made that putting these monuments upon public property that belongs to the citizens is unfair and even cruel to the descendants of the victims of slavery.

Probably the confederate statues should be moved to museums where kids can go and learn from them. Times change, people are not 100% good or 100% evil, we should respect the slaves who suffered and we should respect the feelings of their present day descendants. These are the sorts of lessons that kids could take away from viewing these statues with their school classes in a museum.

But by threatening to remove all statues of just about anybody that anyone can think of who isn't 100% perfect, these people will only create anger and resentment which will result in a backlash. We need to be moderate. Ignore or even punish the extremists who loot and vandalize. Don't listen to them. Listen to the American people, the average person in the middle who doesn't want to lose our history. We don't want George Washington or Thomas Jefferson or most of our other heroes to be taken from our memories just because they were not perfect.

We don't need to separate. We've done that long enough. We already live here, all of us, as US citizens. We need to come together for once and for all and put the past behind us, where it belongs. We can all get along if extremists would stop. Some adjustments need to be made, such as (probably) removal of confederate statues because, let's get over it, the war is over. America won! We all need to be treated equally regardless of race. It's not north against south--that is long over. Leaders need to unite us because we are Americans no matter the color of our eyes or skin or religion we hold, or what other beliefs we may have. Concentrate on what we have in common and let's get on with being Americans.

Old 06-21-2020, 02:01 AM

3,545 posts, read 2,707,478 times
Quote:

OK, I’ll play along as long as I can select who and where I want to live and live with. I want only educated people of any color or race and religion, however, I would prefer atheists in my community. I want well-maintained yards and houses, great parks, and amenities. Poor white supremacists may enter with their pickup trucks in order to maintain the yards and pools but must be out of the area before sunset.

Old 06-21-2020, 02:59 AM

2,875 posts, read 2,335,862 times
The assumption of this thread seems fundamentally flawed. We are having national debates over race, not between races. Many of the people pulling down the statues are white. As thinkingoutsidethebox points out there are lots of "people of color" who like the US and don't share the Amerikkka hellscape view of the far left.

In many respects social media and even regular media play up the most extreme voices. There are lots of Americans who basically love the US and are proud of our country's achievements, but also think there is room for improvement. We may disagree on what exactly those improvements should look like but we can work through these without splitting the country apart.

Old 06-21-2020, 07:48 AM

12,168 posts, read 8,557,024 times
What if it's not about color of skin but instead about behavior?

I'd like to live with community builders no matter what their education, religion or skin color. If they are positive people willing to work within a set of agreed upon rules to create rather than destroy those are the people I want to live with.

Old 06-21-2020, 09:25 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,657,175 times
Interesting thread. Overall, I would say no, we don't need segregation BUT for those who want a community free of white people, let them have it. As long as they stay the [moderator cut: Don't try to circumvent the profanity filter with "clever" rhyming words] out of the way of people just going about their lives and not interfering with the average American everyday life, then so be it.

However, tearing down monuments of past American figures is completely and utterly ridiculous. There's some arguments that some of these statues can be put in a museum but to try and erase history is absurd. Imagine if statues of Rosa Park, Martin Luther The King Jr. and other prominent black people were toppled and erased, IMAGINE the outrage! And some of those black leaders weren't holier than thou but it doesn't matter they made their mark and should be remembered and honored.

I live in a very diverse town and everyone gets along for the most part. Mostly White, Blacks, Latinos, Asians and there's never any friction because of race. If there's any friction, its over parking spaces, some neighbors being too loud, obstreperous and the such. Never seen anyone fight strictly over race, that I'm aware of. And there's many neighborhoods over the U.S. that are like this.

I do not think forced diversity is a good idea, no. I don't think segregation is good either but I think we should all live how we choose without imposing it on others. Which has always been the goal. So if people want to separate themselves and get their own little town or colony going, so be it. We can be functional without being friends. So as long as said individuals aren't trying to impose a CHAZ/CHOP like situation.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 06-21-2020 at 09:37 AM..

Old 06-21-2020, 09:54 AM

34,191 posts, read 83,370,988 times
Quote:
For the "people of color" ...
There is simply no way to reconcile the differences between us.
I know it's not as obvious ... but the REAL issue is the economics. Not race.
Meaningful employment vs population levels ...and how this imbalance is only getting worse.

This reality affects unprepared whites (likely most of those complaining) just as much as blacks.
The black anger thing is about how easily it has been to prop up a target for the unprepared whites to attack.
They've been attacking the wrong enemy for a very very long time.

If the unprepared (white & black) had more/better jobs available ...
Or... If the unprepared we have (white & black) were substantially fewer ...
But these REAL and actually solvable issues are shunted aside. Who wants it that way?

Last edited by MrRational; 06-21-2020 at 10:06 AM..

Old 06-21-2020, 10:16 AM

6,834 posts, read 10,586,734 times
Quote:

How about instead of saying there is no way to reconcile, you acknowledge that some of that responsibility is on you and you're just unwilling - and that we get rid of racism, white fragility and unwillingness to recognize and discard unjust privilege, and move forward as a better nation that more closely lives up to its best ideals for ALL its citizens?

Old 06-21-2020, 10:22 AM

16,206 posts, read 7,173,941 times
Quote:

Black and Brown people are Americans and they love their country, and plan to continue to live in their home and make it a better, less violent, and more peaceful country where everyone feels safe. They want to make it great. A great majority of white people also agree and want to do the same.
If you and other white people like you dont like this why dont YOU go some place and make a white nation? Make your own rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates