Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 12:24 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times

Advertisements

Well a lot of stuff we are forced to do are not in the constitution such as income and sales taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 12:38 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,377,819 times
If we don’t get mass testing soon, a large number of students won’t be able to go to school in the winter time.

Old 06-24-2020, 03:14 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Well a lot of stuff we are forced to do are not in the constitution such as income and sales taxes.
Well let's be careful here however - really the constitution covers what the government is NOT allowed to do, particularly the Bill of Rights. However the 16th amendment, as well as several articles within the constitution, clearly covers taxation.

Old 06-24-2020, 04:10 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,623,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
They had a massive free testing drive through day in our town. They tested just over 2000 people. It was all done by volunteers. They have some additional testing days since I think. I am not interested in having a stick rammed way up my nose until I cry out in pain just so I can learn whether I have covid at that second. If I do not have it then, I might have it by the time I get the results back, I also may have had it last week and the test will not tell me. Without symptoms, it is pretty pointless unless you are going to get tested every week. BTW of the first 2000 plus they found 7 people tested positive. On a retest many or all of them tested negative (I was told about 4 of them testing negative later at a hospital, but not sure about the other three. I do know that none of them got sick).

Last I heard, you are not contagious if you do not have symptoms. I have not had time or interest to confirm this, but if true, then testing is not necessary. Just take your temp daily and pay attention to how you feel and whether you cough. Someone will likely know and post whether the non-symptoms thing (from last week) is valid or just another BS junk science opinion. I do know the experts said you can be contagious without symptoms a while ago, but that was based on a guess that this acts the same as some other viruses, not on actual data based science. Supposedly a week or so ago Who or CDC or someone announced you are not contagious if you are asymptomatic so now some companies allow people who test positive to continue working if they do not have symptoms, but i have not been able to personally verify this.
Actually people are contagious without symptoms- people who are asymptomatic or presymptomatic can still transfer the virus to others from research I had read.

Old 06-24-2020, 04:15 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,623,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Yes, exactly. Some governors (Michigan, Illinois, etc.) get VERY trigger-happy with the shutdowns. Illinois was originally supposed to have a shutdown just from March 22 thru April 7, about 2 weeks. Nothing good, but tolerable enough. Then it got extended to April 30. Then to May 29. So, the end date becomes illusionary at best, since it can get extended at the governor's whim, for any reason, or even for no reason. To add insult to the injury, big box Walmarts and even liquor stores were declared as "essential", but dentist offices were not.

I don't think any American with a shred of rational thinking will agree to a second set of shutdowns. They'll either protest them, or move away to non-shutdown states.
Well and to be honest (and I think the shut downs were the right thing to do), companies cannot afford any more shutdowns. In fact many will be going out of business due to the first shutdown, and others will limp along shedding a lot of employees along the way. There is no way there can be any more shut downs- going forward will have to be a matter of requiring masks and social distancing and getting through that way until we have a vaccine.

Old 06-24-2020, 04:33 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,636,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
What makes you think that this disease is going to behave any differently now than it has behaved in the past?

What makes you think the death rate is going to be any lower than it has been in the past?

I'm willing to listen to an explanation. However, that is a classic situation of simply being unwilling to listen to science and data.

The pandemic isn't nonsense. As of today we have 121,000 dead people because of it. To claim its nonsense is to be in absolute denial.

What I am saying is that the numbers have been inflated, not all the deaths are even COVID related, we've been played and lied to. Many hospitals have had incentives to count every death as COVID related when they weren't. Just because its counted as a COVID death DOES NOT mean it is.

You take an obese person who's had many health issues before this COVID death, did he/she die from the COVID or with it? Was it a direct result of COVID or was it a result of their poor health?

How many perfectly fine people are dying from this? Not many at all.

It's not to mitigate anyone's death, every death is tragic but to the extent of lethality of this virus has been immensely blown out of proportion.

And listen to the science and data? By whom am I supposed to listen to? The massively corrupt and incompetent WHO and CDC? Dr. Fauci? Dr. Birx? The same people who keep flip-flopping on their positions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephariel View Post
Right. 9 million cases worldwide. Nearly 500,000 deaths. Rising cases in the US. I am not supposed to be concern. Death isn't the only issue with COVID-19. People can have chronic symptoms even after recovery.

Again, there is a reason every country in the world is concern. And there is a reason you are not a leader.

Yes, people can have chronic symptoms after recovery but guess what? That can also happen with the FLU. And the vast majority of people who recover, recovery perfectly fine. And some whom have issues like no smell, or their lungs damaged, recover from that too.

And you trust every leader? Which leader? You trust everything that comes out of these "leaders" mouths? You think they don't have an agenda? You think they aren't LYING and PLAYING you? You think these people in elite positions don't have an endgame? You think you mean anything to them? Serious question.

How about YOU LEAD YOURSELF and think outside the box, how about you think outside the mainstream narratives that are being shoved down your throat. Scaring you, instilling fear into you.How about you LEAD YOURSELF and take YOUR HEALTH into YOUR HANDS. Stop depending on these "leaders" who look at you as another dollar sign and puppet to control.

Old 06-24-2020, 05:30 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post

For obvious reasons - forcing each and every American to take a test on one day, which would disrupt a persons freedom of movement and action considerably, would prompt a pretty serious constitutional court case challenge.
Ordering lock-downs of virtually everyone for weeks and months as well as the forced closure of most businesses was somehow allowed to happen and was not halted by the courts. If you talk about government overreach this is nothing in comparison.

I asked the question because I thought it was an interesting one. Could it be done in one day? If a home 15 minute test was perfected that worked sort of like a pregnancy or diabetic test yes it could be done in one day. They could be mailed out to every address in America very easily through the post office. Producing more than 300 million would be a challenge.

With our current testing system no. But I do agree that way too many people would object being tested no matter how simple it could be done. But even if half the people agreed to do the test and they at least knew they had it, it would make a difference. It could take millions of people with the virus off the streets. Its the amount of asymptomatic people all over the place that is the big problem.

Old 06-24-2020, 05:34 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Yes. It's in your false premise:

One massive testing day.

That isn't even possible for any number of reasons.
Not with our current way of testing. White house has a 15 minute test. If a test could be done at home with results in a few minutes that test could be mass produced and sent to every resident via the post office. I believe we are getting close to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Testing is beneficial only in the very early stages of an epidemic or pandemic. After that, it's useless where transmission is person-to-person.
I disagree. Testing is useful to get people to quarantine, especially with a virus that most people do know they have. The more you test the more quarantine.

Old 06-25-2020, 07:17 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Ordering lock-downs of virtually everyone for weeks and months as well as the forced closure of most businesses was somehow allowed to happen and was not halted by the courts. If you talk about government overreach this is nothing in comparison.
The lockdowns were dictated by local governments (states, etc.) not by the federal government.
There have been several legal challenges to it in various states and I think they are working it's way through the courts. Of course, with many states opening the point is moot.

Old 06-25-2020, 07:28 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
What I am saying is that the numbers have been inflated, not all the deaths are even COVID related, we've been played and lied to. Many hospitals have had incentives to count every death as COVID related when they weren't. Just because its counted as a COVID death DOES NOT mean it is.

Wrong. This is a debunked conspiracy theory. Covid cases are not being deliberately inflated.

Of course, given some of the other things you've said, I'm not terribly surprised you swallowed this story.

You know sometimes people believe something that is inaccurate that is harmless. I try to let that sort of thing go. This isn't harmless though. IMO, its part of campaign by certain groups to try to convince everyone that Covid 19 isn't a serious problem and "we should all just get along with our lives". Sadly, there is a guy like this where I work. No amount of facts, figures, and expert opinions will convince him. He is determined to believe what he believes no matter what the reality is. In the process, he helps delude others into a false sense of security over this disease. He's over 60, very overweight, and even has type II diabetes. He is a prime candidate for catching a severe cases of Covid 19. I don't know what drives him, but articles like this clearly show that the number of deaths from Covid 19 are not being inflated.

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/04/ho...9-death-count/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates